Sponsored by:

Decision to repaint front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 11:20 PM
schred
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decision to repaint front bumper

I finally made the decision to have the front bumper area repainted on my 95. The car also has the clear bra on the lower portion of the hood as well, and I want to get this removed while I am at it. So I dropped it off at an old friends paint shop today and am now wondering /hoping that I made a good decision. Sometimes the cure is worse than the the ailment in these cases. I now will be worried about the car sitting in the body shop with some knucklehead removing parts and potentially damaging everything adjacent to the area that I want to repaint. Maybe all those rock chips weren't that bad after all ?? Then I think , why not just do a total repaint and get the whole car perfect again?? Then I say, well I am just gonna ruin the new painted areas anyway by driving the car, so why bother. Man I hate it when I second guess myself on this kind of thing.
FS
Old 08-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 'refresh' on the front end is simply periodic maintenance for these cars. I just had my nose, hood and fenders resprayed last year ... sort of like botox for your 993 ... only it lasts longer ...
Old 08-02-2006, 11:48 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,190 Likes on 1,840 Posts

You made the right choice as far as getting it repainted. Maybe you're second guessing the choice of body shop? Any nice car deserves to be worked on only by a reputable specialty body shop.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:57 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree...you are second guessing your choice of body shop. You should know what quality an "old friend" will give you.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:01 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 56 Posts

I just had mine done, and couldn't be more pleased with the results. In addition to the rock chips, mine had some curb scrapes on the lower center and side pieces (courtesy of the PO) that needed some attention. It looks brand new again, and I also installed a Gert's front protection bar.

I believe Porsche had started using water-based ("water bourne") urethane paint by 1995, so you will probably find that the petro-based urethane that most body shops use will probably be a bit more resistant to future chipping.

I removed and replaced the bumper cover myself, per the instructions on www.p-car.com. It was a tedious process, but not really that difficult.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:35 AM
webnuts4u2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What should a quality respray of the bumper hood and both fenders run?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:52 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Remove the front bumper yourself and just take that piece into the body shop. It's pretty easy to do and I can understand not wanting to leave the car in the shop.
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2006, 03:51 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,190 Likes on 1,840 Posts

It's difficult to say because it depends on the job. If you just have some rock chips in the lower front of the car, you can have the bumper along with the front half of the hood/fenders resprayed, blending with the rear half of the hood/fenders. If you want to respray the whole hood and fenders, a good body shop will blend into the doors and spray the cowel, blending into the windshield posts. At this point, you should ask the body shop how much it will cost you to respray the whole car. I know that the roof of the car is difficult/time consuming and often an area that doesn't need repair. If that's the case, you can probably have the whole car painted, minus the roof, for around $6k.

Originally Posted by webnuts4u2
What should a quality respray of the bumper hood and both fenders run?
Old 08-03-2006, 11:42 AM
FLCERIK
Advanced

I spent 8K to have the entire front end resprayed blended to the doors. They also replaced all of the front lights and windsheild. I went to a very well known body shop that is more expensive than most but the results were awsome. After everything was complete I had a clear bra installed.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:04 PM
schred
Racer

Paintwork costs are all over the place depending on the shop and your requests. I received prices from 800 to 2100.00 to remove and paint the front bumper only. It really comes down to what you are willing to spend and whether you are comfortable with the shop. I obviously have mixed feelings about the shop I have chosen. I will hope for the best.
I do feel better knowing that many of you have had good luck with partial repaints.
FS
Old 08-03-2006, 03:10 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

$8m? That's a lot for a front end respray, I don't care how good the job was. For those of us just considering a bumper/hood/headlight area respray, I think we were expecting closer to $2m!

Maybe I'll just wait to respray until I do a full paint job like 5 years from now
Old 08-03-2006, 07:12 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 56 Posts

My shop charged $750 to repair/repaint the bumper cover AND prep and paint a Rennspeed ducktail spoiler lid.

You will save a lot of $$ if you remove and replace the parts yourself.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 396 Posts

I bought a new euro turbo front bumper with turbo s scoops (it was already primed) and they charged $300 to paint it. I then had them repaint my hood, repair the clear coat where I had them pull off the clear bra around a headlight, and install the front bumper - they charged me $800.

The final product looked good to me.

Rob
Old 08-03-2006, 08:03 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't know how a body shop can justify charging $8000 for a front end respray. What did they do that the shops that charge $1000 not do? Did they dismantle the car and stip the parts down to the metal??? Just curious.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:32 PM
long_beach_968
Pro

all this talk of respray of panels scares me! when I bought my car I made sure that it had not been in an accident ect. and I am confident that the car is completely original paint with the exception of the front bumper cover (hit it all with a paint meter) aren't you guys concerned with destroying a perfectly good factory paint job?

Quick Reply: Decision to repaint front bumper