Sponsored by:

Decision to repaint front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by long_beach_968
all this talk of respray of panels scares me! when I bought my car I made sure that it had not been in an accident ect. and I am confident that the car is completely original paint with the exception of the front bumper cover (hit it all with a paint meter) aren't you guys concerned with destroying a perfectly good factory paint job?
Valid, but if your 70K mile car has nicks on the hood and around a headlight that you can't live with - what are you going to do?

Plus, if you plan on keep the car forever (which I know there is no forever), but right now it is a keeper (like the wife) - who cares.

Rob
Old 08-03-2006, 08:41 PM
SFreeman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a quote today in Atlanta at Buckhead Collision. Reputable shop, plenty of P-cars, MBs and BMWs around. My car is black with typical rash on front bumper cover from track days and 90K miles.

$791 to remove, paint and replace bumper cover ($150 material and $615 labor). Did not ask to break out RR labor, appears to be ~$250.

$2,111 to respray/blend entire front end, includes removal of hood, all hardware, lights, blending jams, replacing gaskets, etc.

$12,000 ballpark for complete repaint with removal of windows, etc.

Will also detail car inside and out, including compound/buff (as opposed to just high speed wax), for ~$300 if having other service performed.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,190 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I had a complete repaint on my 80 SC targa done about 5 years ago at one of the top body shops in Vancouver. It cost me about $7k Canadian. My cab was repainted at the Beverly Hills dealership by the previous owner six months before I bought it (about 9 months ago). He had a minor accident that required the bumper cover to be replaced and minimal body work on one fender. Estimate for new bumper cover repainted, blend to the hood, both fenders and one door was $2,700. For an extra $4,900 he got the whole car done (prices include taxes). As for the quality of the job, I know body work and it was a 9.5/10.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:35 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe S.
Remove the front bumper yourself and just take that piece into the body shop. It's pretty easy to do and I can understand not wanting to leave the car in the shop.
How difficult is it to put back?
Old 11-20-2006, 03:45 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
How difficult is it to put back?
Not difficult. You can follow the step by step instructions here: http://p-car.com/diy/bumper/

Hardest part it trying to get the seals straight on the bumper cover.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

FWIW- I was just quoted $2,200 to fix one fender then paint it and install/paint new bumper.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:16 AM
funbug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I removed the front bumper on my car myself as I also did not like the idea of leaving my car there. It's not that difficult - there are threads on the internet on the subject. Took it back to the panel shop after the first respray as it was not up to standard. Re-fitting it is the reverse of removing it. Plus you have the satisfaction of doing the job yourself and saving a few quid in labour. I also fitted my remote radar detector receiver while I was at it.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:34 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Was just quoted $750 to remove, paint and reinstall front bumper cover at body shop used by the local Ferrari crowd. Seems reasonable.

Couple years ago had rust repaired around windshield, hood shot for chips and left front fender painted due to gouge from someone in a truck, wound up doing left door as well due to inaccessible ding in it, they blended rocker and a little of rear fender for a nice match. Was about $1800, if my memory's correct. Replaced windshield, too ... should've done bumper cover then but thought of it too late.

Quick Reply: Decision to repaint front bumper