Sponsored by:

Where do you like to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 10:23 PM
Ron Adair
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you like to drive?

First off, let's all be safe on public roads. That said...

Other than the track, where do you do your spirited driving? EDIT: What the heck, it's all about driving... include your favorite track experience!!

Long winding on-ramps are good.

A nice stretch of 'secure' fwy between offramps works.

How about a back road? In Santa Barbara, the Los Padres National Forest is great!

I can only imagine for now, but the autobahn must be at the top of the list.

Where do you like to drive? Throw in a pic!!!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ron Adair; 07-31-2006 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:08 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I80 going up Parley's Canyon going to Park City, 215 loop around the SLC Valley. Utah has a lot of open space and up to date roads.

Sundays are the quietest days on the road by far here and my favorite time to drive. Its almost bizarre how quiet the roads are here on Sunday. The predominent religion iencourges to be doing other things than being "out and about". Hence the roads being almost abandoned at some points during the day.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

An awesome road brings you to this sign
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2006, 11:20 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgot the pics. There is a road that leads from Park City, UT to Big Cottonwood Canyon (Solitude and Birghton Ski Lodges) called Guardmans Pass-only open during the summer and fall because of the snow. It must be at least 9000 feet at the top. Awesome views, great drive.
Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2006, 11:36 PM
obchuck
Racer

In the Bay Area, I like 280. Good scenery and wide open freeway. Last Sunday, around 5:45am, on my way over to my father's place to leave for MotoGP race, I had a nice drive over the San Mateo Bridge - heading West from the East Bay is a nice wide flat open stretch for about 2-3miles. Now, not to say that I did it , but I suppose it would have been the perfect opportunity (little to no other cars on the road) for a high speed run. Assuming again just for conversations sake I did do a top speed run, I imagine I might have hit about 156. Since I would have had the windows down and sunroof open, I imagine that would have knocked a few mph off the top end. Also, if I would have done such a thing, I might have had to slow down to approach the left hander at the top of the bridge (heading West). Another added benefit of the drive (and quite a coincidence given the time and traffic) was the other P-car I came up on while driving on the bridge. I didn't get too good a look but it looked to be a 80's Turbo. A guy and his wife/girlfriend. Anyway, as I came up to pass I assume he saw me in his rearview mirror. We began a small race (stopping smartly @ the posted speed limit of course!). Again, simply conjecture, but I assume if I would have done that high-speed run it would have been humorous to assume that my P-car friend would have backed off around 120 to the probable sound of his wife/girlfriend telling him to "knock it off"! Yeah, I suppose that would have been fun, if it ever actually happened...
Old 07-30-2006, 11:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

How about Northern Italy? Mixing it up with some Italian machine...
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2006, 11:49 PM
993polarsilver
Racer

Anywhere outside of Los Angeles. The canyons on the outskirts of Orange County are fun. The roads will probably improve as soon as I get a V1.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:17 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've driven the autobahn - it's a good mental workout, but not hard from a technique point of view. Lots of great roads in Sonoma. But my favorite place is on the track. Sears Point. Thunderhill. Laguna Seca (later this summer). All the cars going the same direction. No speed limits - only what you can muster. Trailing braking out of 100mph+ into a hard left hander is life. Makes the on-ramp grand prix look very simple...imho.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:41 AM
obchuck
Racer

Edgy01 always has the coolest pics!
Old 07-31-2006, 01:14 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Adair
Other than the track, where do you do your spirited driving?
Everywhere.

It's all a matter of definition of the word "spirited", but every corner and every turn in the road is an apex to hone my skills.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:23 AM
Ron Adair
Racer

Originally Posted by obchuck
In the Bay Area, I like 280. Good scenery and wide open freeway. Last Sunday, around 5:45am, on my way over to my father's place to leave for MotoGP race, I had a nice drive over the San Mateo Bridge - heading West from the East Bay is a nice wide flat open stretch for about 2-3miles. Now, not to say that I did it , but I suppose it would have been the perfect opportunity (little to no other cars on the road) for a high speed run. Assuming again just for conversations sake I did do a top speed run, I imagine I might have hit about 156. Since I would have had the windows down and sunroof open, I imagine that would have knocked a few mph off the top end. Also, if I would have done such a thing, I might have had to slow down to approach the left hander at the top of the bridge (heading West). Another added benefit of the drive (and quite a coincidence given the time and traffic) was the other P-car I came up on while driving on the bridge. I didn't get too good a look but it looked to be a 80's Turbo. A guy and his wife/girlfriend. Anyway, as I came up to pass I assume he saw me in his rearview mirror. We began a small race (stopping smartly @ the posted speed limit of course!). Again, simply conjecture, but I assume if I would have done that high-speed run it would have been humorous to assume that my P-car friend would have backed off around 120 to the probable sound of his wife/girlfriend telling him to "knock it off"! Yeah, I suppose that would have been fun, if it ever actually happened...
If that ever happened, nice.... very nice. Just supposing, of course.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:42 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Ron,

Great thread. A sample of my many answers. Enjoy

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/240130-ruf-pictorial-artsy-peaceful-settings.html

CP
Old 07-31-2006, 01:42 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Adair
Other than the track
oops - sorry, didn't see that part.

Any road between US1 and 101 in Sonoma County.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:45 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Don,

Have you been on Stewart Point Road, west from Lake Sonoma?

Now that's motoring heaven, until the CHPs decided to put their headquarter there.

CP
Old 07-31-2006, 01:50 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Highways 93 and 95 in central/northern Idaho. Scenic, smooth, twisty, empty.

Too bad they're so far from my home base.

Quick Reply: Where do you like to drive?