Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 9m 4tech billet heads tested by Total 911 Magazine

As a follow up to the following threads:

"9m heads make 350 BHP on N/A 95 993"

"Engine upgrade 993"

(Can someone post the links - can't find out how to do it on this new Imac!)

...we took 5 993's (std VR & NVE, 9m VR & NVR + my 9m RS CS) to Elvington airfield in York a few weeks ago to test acceleration with their Race Technology AX22 datalogger. The results are now out in the new August edition (thanks guys), so if anyone wants to find out how to slash more than 3 seconds from your 0-100 time and around 10 sec from the 0-150 I suggest you get yourself a copy.

(The magazines website is www.total911.co.uk but at the time of writing this it has not been updated.)
Old 07-12-2006, 09:04 AM
kennyboy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Straight down to WH Smiths for me today Colin.

Good to speak to you yesterday, thanks for the advice on exhausts.

PS - let me know if you use Elvington again for testing, it's just up the road from me...then again you might even want to use my car as a mule? well you've got to ask eh!.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Colin,

You beat me to it as I was going to comment on the article that they did. For anyone who does not catch up with the article, the magazine dyno tested similar cars with and without Colin's heads and showed the impressive gains.

Does that get me a discount Colin? ;-) Believe me - when I do have some spare cash I'm coming to see you!

Cheers,

David
Old 07-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent. I picked up the May or June issue and there was an article about the design and manufacturing of your heads. Looks like the stuff!
Old 07-12-2006, 10:35 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

9M thread

350hp

c
Old 07-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Cy
Racer

Great! Looking forward to reading more about it. Although, we're a little behind on the distribution of the magazine here . . . I just picked up the issue where they did the write up on the 993 GT2 this past weekend.

What are the plans for offering these heads in the US? I seem to remember someone in one of those other threads talking with you about a possible distribution deal.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:40 PM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without access to your incredible services here in the States, I am reminded of the time as a small boy when I was "grounded" by my parents....thus forced to stare out through the living room window at my friends playing ball in the street. That wasn't "fair" then and this isn't "fair" now

Outstanding stuff Colin......congratulations!
Old 07-12-2006, 02:04 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Could someone scan this article to share with all of us stateside or let us know where wec can find a copy of this magazine in the states?
Old 07-12-2006, 02:16 PM
infinii
Instructor

Originally Posted by troppo
Could someone scan this article to share with all of us stateside or let us know where wec can find a copy of this magazine in the states?
Total 911 is a sponsor on this site. I'm not sure it's a good idea to scan the article and post it free for all to read.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:26 PM
long_beach_968
Pro

haha now I have a real reason to tear down my engone for a top end "update"
Old 07-12-2006, 02:31 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by troppo
I got mine this morning at Barnes & Noble, unfortunately the newest issue they had way June. I guess I gotta wait 2 more months to read about it. I was going to ask why it takes so long to get overseas magazines over here, but I'm guessing that they must ship them the cheapest way possible because of the weight.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:15 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Our Office Manager Christine is trying to get more copies, so I dare say that we could mail them out if anyone cannot find a copy, but you can also order them direct from the website (once the August issue is added) for £4.25 + £2.47 airmail .

The guys at Total 911 really did us proud spreading the feature over 9 pages and the front cover, good informative text, excellent photography (I think you will enjoy my tyre smokin' antics "for the camera"....) and a nice editorial from Phil Raby (although I cannot ever recall seeing 4 Tech's designer Graham with oily hands Phil!).
Old 07-12-2006, 05:28 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SCMomentum
Without access to your incredible services here in the States, I am reminded of the time as a small boy when I was "grounded" by my parents....thus forced to stare out through the living room window at my friends playing ball in the street. That wasn't "fair" then and this isn't "fair" now

Outstanding stuff Colin......congratulations!
Thanks.

If anyone is interested in buying the parts we are willing to ship stateside but obviously the heads are sold "not for highway use" although you can have them with a SAI port if required. I can also supply the matching hydraulic or mechanical sport cams that were used on the cars for this test and the split flow 100cell cats are easily available in the US. Unfortunately we cannot remap the US ecu for US fuel from here so you will have to find that part of the jigsaw yourself. Obviously for the race cars on Motec this will not be a problem, which is why Geoffrey already has a development set of our heads being tested on his 964 race engine.

The price of the head/cam/valve/spring kit is £5995 excluding taxes and freight. The full conversion with cats & remap on a perfect 993 engine is £10,500 +VAT although most customers opt for further work (rings, bearings, etc) whilst the engine is out and apart.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:52 PM
long_beach_968
Pro

what kind of HP would be expected out of a head/lless extreme cam and stock or close to stock fuel mapping for CE light avoidance due to increased overlap, and smog passing purposes?
Old 07-16-2006, 07:35 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Not often you get your rear end featured on the front cover of an international magazine (unless you happen to be called Kylie....)

What the article demonstrates is the potential of the heads with just one combination of parts that complement the free flow of air through the engine. Obviously we cannot afford to test every combinations of cam, ecu & exhaust with our heads but I suspect that you will have similar results if you use the RS camshafts instead of the 9m Sport cams that we used.

That said I doubt that the standard chip will have anywhere near the ideal ignition timing/fueling to achieve the full potential of the package so be prepared to have a live remap.

Quick Reply: 9m 4tech billet heads tested by Total 911 Magazine