993 Forum 1995-1998

9m 4tech billet heads tested by Total 911 Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

As Geoffrey pointed out the OBD2 issue is more one of a legal nature which depends on where the car is inspected than any thing else. In NYS when a '96 up car is annually inspected the first thing they do is connect the diagnostic port to a dedicated DMV line, any issues will flag the car for failure.

The MY95 and earlier cars don't need to go through this because they are subject to OBD1 regs not the MY96 up OBD2 regs.

Of course other states and other jurisdictions will have their own statutes that will need to be followed

Other issues which are related to differences in MY and country
55pin OBD1 is used on all RoW 993 n/a engines for all years '94-98

88pin OBD2 is used for all 993turbos regardless of country for all years >'98

US/Cdn 993 thru MY'95 use OBD1 55pin, and from '96 up use 88pin OBD2

US/Cdn MY96 only have an additional issue in that the DME does not use a socketed chip. To alter these a '97-98 88 pin OBD2 DME needs to be used.

MoTec can be used to replace any of the engine management systems used for any 993 but is going to be far more costly and complicated on the '96 up.

Geoffrey and Colin have very elegant MoTec systems that have been engineered to work w/ the 55pin OBD1 harnesses, to use w/ the 88pin OBD2 the harness as well as the DME would need to be replaced. These can work w/ oem intakes or ITB intakes

The last concern for going to MoTec to replace Motronic is going to be resale value of the car. I suppose that most anything can be undone but this is a major step away from a car that is going to be desirable to the general public toward a car that is oriented to an extremely small niche market.

Having been in one of Geoffrey's creations and seen his race car at track days I can only say how impressed I have been w/ their functionality, design, and implementation.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:29 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grwoolf
I'm pretty sure they do unless it is specific to the city in TX. In Austin and surrounding areas they plug into the ODBII port and check the relevent stuff. I know because I failed my first attempt because my emmission rediness codes were not reset from my battery being disconnected.
I could have sworn he never checked it, but maybe he did during his test drive or something... I'll have to look into it. And maybe it IS specific to city, I don't know.

Originally Posted by Justin Keenan
I don't know about MD, but here is PA if you drive less than 5k a year, the car is emissions exempt. In that case I don't see why they would have to plug it in for fault codes.
Yes, I'll have to get smart on the specifics. It's been a while since I've lived in MD and I didn't really worry much about finding the loopholes in the system back then.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:34 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
As Geoffrey pointed out the OBD2 issue is more one of a legal nature which depends on where the car is inspected than any thing else. In NYS when a '96 up car is annually inspected the first thing they do is connect the diagnostic port to a dedicated DMV line, any issues will flag the car for failure.

The MY95 and earlier cars don't need to go through this because they are subject to OBD1 regs not the MY96 up OBD2 regs.

Of course other states and other jurisdictions will have their own statutes that will need to be followed

Other issues which are related to differences in MY and country
55pin OBD1 is used on all RoW 993 n/a engines for all years '94-98

88pin OBD2 is used for all 993turbos regardless of country for all years >'98

US/Cdn 993 thru MY'95 use OBD1 55pin, and from '96 up use 88pin OBD2

US/Cdn MY96 only have an additional issue in that the DME does not use a socketed chip. To alter these a '97-98 88 pin OBD2 DME needs to be used.

MoTec can be used to replace any of the engine management systems used for any 993 but is going to be far more costly and complicated on the '96 up.

Geoffrey and Colin have very elegant MoTec systems that have been engineered to work w/ the 55pin OBD1 harnesses, to use w/ the 88pin OBD2 the harness as well as the DME would need to be replaced. These can work w/ oem intakes or ITB intakes

The last concern for going to MoTec to replace Motronic is going to be resale value of the car. I suppose that most anything can be undone but this is a major step away from a car that is going to be desirable to the general public toward a car that is oriented to an extremely small niche market.

Having been in one of Geoffrey's creations and seen his race car at track days I can only say how impressed I have been w/ their functionality, design, and implementation.
Bill, as always you are a wealth of knowledge and are always willing to lend a helping hand! Thank you...
Old 04-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've made 88pin harness adapters to MoTeC before, so we can use the later harness.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Beat me to it Geoffrey....
Old 04-30-2009, 07:00 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Ok, sounds like Motec or bust for the moment until another solution comes along to make it street legal...

Geoffrey, maybe I could pay visit to your shop sometime in the future and take a look at your work...
Old 05-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can, and there will be a magazine article out soon on the white 964 9M USA car that we did last year. You can also do a search on the 964 Forum for "9M USA" where you can see 2 cars we did last year.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:59 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Bringing back a very old thread. Anyone have a copy of this article lying around?
Old 06-10-2017, 07:53 AM
JZ98-993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

+993

Interested as well, no more back issues left. Would be awesome if someone could post here

Quick Reply: 9m 4tech billet heads tested by Total 911 Magazine