Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

9m 4tech billet heads tested by Total 911 Magazine

Old 04-28-2009, 09:44 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sorry, I am ignorant on what needs to be done with the ECU... Is it just a matter of having the right "tools" to do the job? With the right hardware addition (i.e. heads, cams etc...) information someone could do a proper re-program??
Old 04-28-2009, 11:35 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A chip shopuld be made available for 95s, as part of the kit Or maybe that wouldn't really work, either.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

In order to use a Motronic ECU, you need the tools to "live remap" the engine on a Dyno. These tools are not generally available to anyone except the programmer/tuner that developed them. Without the live remap tools, you cannot adequately reprogram the ECU and ensure maximum performance, drivability, and reliability. We do not have the tools and install MoTeC ECUs which obviously presents a problem with street driven OBDII compliance. Our focus is on Race cars where the MoTeC is designed to operate.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:33 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
In order to use a Motronic ECU, you need the tools to "live remap" the engine on a Dyno. These tools are not generally available to anyone except the programmer/tuner that developed them. Without the live remap tools, you cannot adequately reprogram the ECU and ensure maximum performance, drivability, and reliability. We do not have the tools and install MoTeC ECUs which obviously presents a problem with street driven OBDII compliance. Our focus is on Race cars where the MoTeC is designed to operate.
I know that I'm way late to the party, but, let me say that it was good to see the most recent article regarding you / your car in Total 911.
Looking forward to reading all the articles once Colin has the chance to post them

cheers

Craig
Old 04-29-2009, 06:05 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Again, forgive my ignorance... What's the issue with the Motec ECU? Does it alter the engine management to the point that it is no longer street legal? i.e. emissions maybe? Or is it just the OBDII connectivity issue? I can understand why a there needs to be a standard when cars are mass produced initially, but I don't understand why it needs to stay that way. People do after market mods to their cars all the time right?

If there's no way around it, my next question... as crazy as it is... And Colin, maybe you can chime in here... how much would it cost to ship an engine to the UK for a full mod and tune. Has anyone attempted this before? And, is the OBDII still an issue with that plan? Just doing some brainstorming and research here. Thanks...
Old 04-29-2009, 08:16 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Arun,
The issue lies with the OBD2 ecu in the US cars. The bottom line is that it is cannot be remapped without expensive internal modifications, so it usually works out cheaper to replace it with the 1998 993TT OBD2 ecu (which can be remapped with the right equipment) - or simply use a Motec ecu that can easily be remapped.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:38 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Arun,
The issue lies with the OBD2 ecu in the US cars. The bottom line is that it is cannot be remapped without expensive internal modifications, so it usually works out cheaper to replace it with the 1998 993TT OBD2 ecu (which can be remapped with the right equipment) - or simply use a Motec ecu that can easily be remapped.
Ok, that sounds like a good solution then... a '98TT OBD2 ecu with your mods in place on a dyno can produce similar results?? We just need to find someone who can do this work??

From the sound of things, the Motec ecu is not street legal for some reason? Is that right? Thanks for all the advice and information.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

A MoTeC ECU is a stand alone ECU which with proper programming can be made to be rolling road emissions compliant. However, since the ECU is designed primarly to be a racing ECU, it does not (nor does any stand alone ECU) have OBDII coding in it, so the vehicle will fail any OBDII test. The only difference between a Motronic ECU and a MoTeC ECU is the MoTeC has software that allows laptop programming whereas a Motronic does not (outside of 3rd party hackers and OEM manufacturer calibraters). Further, a MoTeC ECU has logging memory which allows a tuner to download information about the sensors whereas Motronic is limited to usually diagnostic equipment via the dealer.

We have done MoTeC ECUs on street cars where OBD II testing is not required ie up through 1995 993s. Some engines without major internal modifications have been emissions tested to be compliant.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:26 AM
jungleboy
Pro

A MoTeC ECU is a stand alone ECU which with proper programming can be made to be rolling road emissions compliant. However, since the ECU is designed primarly to be a racing ECU, it does not (nor does any stand alone ECU) have OBDII coding in it, so the vehicle will fail any OBDII test. The only difference between a Motronic ECU and a MoTeC ECU is the MoTeC has software that allows laptop programming whereas a Motronic does not (outside of 3rd party hackers and OEM manufacturer calibraters). Further, a MoTeC ECU has logging memory which allows a tuner to download information about the sensors whereas Motronic is limited to usually diagnostic equipment via the dealer.

We have done MoTeC ECUs on street cars where OBD II testing is not required ie up through 1995 993s. Some engines without major internal modifications have been emissions tested to be compliant.
Geoffrey,

Thanks for your patience and all the enlightening information. This OBDII system sounds like a pain in the butt! Now I wish I had a '95 model year! So if I were to get a Motec system installed, when and where is anyone going to check if my car is OBDII compliant?? The dealer during service - which I don't plan on using. Or during emissions testing/state inspection in the required states??
Old 04-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

What is OBDII?
OBDII is an expanded set of standards and practices developed by SAE and adopted by the EPA and CARB (California Air Resources Board) for implementation on all US based cars by January 1, 1996. It provides a universal inspection and diagnosis method using a standard set of tools where the engine can be tested to see if it is performing to OEM standards. The data provided by OBDII port can often identify a specific component that has malfunctioned, easing diagnosing engine issues. MoTeC has a similar but more detailed function via Laptop connection and data logging.

when and where is anyone going to check if my car is OBDII compliant??
OBDII would be used for two things. One would be problem diagnosis and the second would be emissions and/or inspection compliance. In NY, during the annual inspection process the shop is required to plug into the OBDII port to ensure that there are no faults. Any faults and the car will not pass inspection. I'm sure this process varies from state-to-state.

My favorite year for 993 is 1995...
Old 04-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If we can resolve the ECU issue for OBDII cars in the states, I'd be all over this. (Funds permitting, of course.)
Old 04-30-2009, 09:20 AM
jungleboy
Pro

OBDII would be used for two things. One would be problem diagnosis and the second would be emissions and/or inspection compliance. In NY, during the annual inspection process the shop is required to plug into the OBDII port to ensure that there are no faults. Any faults and the car will not pass inspection. I'm sure this process varies from state-to-state.
My favorite year for 993 is 1995...
Ahhh GHHOOT IT!! Thank you again for all the explanations. So now, I just need to figure out if my state needs to pull data for emissions/inspections and then never move again! Well I know TX doesn't have any emissions and during the last several yearly inspections, they didn't seem to pull any data from the OBDII port. But I AM moving to MD and I believe they'll be doing all of this... hmphh... Somehow we'll have to crack this code and keep it street drivable. I am telling you guys, I have a felling a lot of folks would be interested in this mod if it were doable!!

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
If we can resolve the ECU issue for OBDII cars in the states, I'd be all over this. (Funds permitting, of course.)
YESSS!!!!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:23 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Originally Posted by NineMeister
so it usually works out cheaper to replace it with the 1998 993TT OBD2 ecu (which can be remapped with the right equipment)
One last thing and I shall digress...

Is this a fact? Is it more tunable??
Old 04-30-2009, 10:00 AM
grwoolf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jungleboy
Well I know TX doesn't have any emissions and during the last several yearly inspections, they didn't seem to pull any data from the OBDII port.
I'm pretty sure they do unless it is specific to the city in TX. In Austin and surrounding areas they plug into the ODBII port and check the relevent stuff. I know because I failed my first attempt because my emmission rediness codes were not reset from my battery being disconnected.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:00 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jungleboy
Ahhh GHHOOT IT!! Thank you again for all the explanations. So now, I just need to figure out if my state needs to pull data for emissions/inspections and then never move again! Well I know TX doesn't have any emissions and during the last several yearly inspections, they didn't seem to pull any data from the OBDII port. But I AM moving to MD and I believe they'll be doing all of this... hmphh... Somehow we'll have to crack this code and keep it street drivable. I am telling you guys, I have a felling a lot of folks would be interested in this mod if it were doable!!

YESSS!!!!
I don't know about MD, but here is PA if you drive less than 5k a year, the car is emissions exempt. In that case I don't see why they would have to plug it in for fault codes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 9m 4tech billet heads tested by Total 911 Magazine