Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fresh Air Electric Servo

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 01:37 PM
pezza
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh Air Electric Servo

Just been reading up on p-car, I don't appear to be getting any air flow out of the top center air vents in the dash? They work fine when the AC is on, but nothing when just fresh air, tried the fan in all the positions, plus the sliders fully to the left, then right.

All I'm getting is a wheez sound, anyone have a price on the part I need? Is it a DIY, from the p-car description sounds pretty straight forward.

thanks
Old 06-28-2006, 02:45 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely sounds like the fresh air servo: wheezing on fresh air, fine on recirc or a/c.

964.624.901.00 - "Electric Motor Fresh Air Flap with lever"
Vertex and Pelican both lists it for $215. (Part # search only)

Mine was dead too, but I took the thing apart, fiddled with it, and put it back together, and it works... for now at least. Very easy DIY here. Pop the motor apart with a screwdriver, and check out the contacts. Make sure the little springy things that ride along the circuit board are CLEAN and all bent properly and level. Some sanding of those contacts and realignment could get them running again. It also could just waste a lot of your time but it might be worth a shot.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Gerry Kluck
Intermediate

I would concur with Brian. I've been troubleshooting HVAC as well. Mine turned out to be a "sticky" bypass (recirculation) air flap which came back alive after poking at it with a long screw driver.

Here's a thread that has more info. Randall G and Robin (from p-car.com) helped me troubleshoot mine. Thanks guys!

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=12474
Old 06-28-2006, 04:15 PM
pezza
Racer

Thanks for the info guys, will take it apart at the weekend, will go that route 1st. I'll report back. Does the servo just unscrew out, or is there any tips you guys can share to make the job easier.

regards

Perry
Old 06-28-2006, 05:54 PM
pezza
Racer

Couldn't wait, popped the servo out and took it apart, pretty badly scored inside, tried cleaning it up but still no joy.

I moved the fresh air flap arm manually and I have fresh air coming through the vents again, so I will be calling my local Porsche Centre for part 964 624 325 00.

Very straight forward to get it out, just disconnect the flap arm from the plastic swivel, and undo the 2 screws.

Thanks for the help, pretty dissappointed though as the car has just been in for it's 24000 service, shouldn't this of come up on the bosch test?

Old 06-28-2006, 07:44 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Contact Sunset Imports. They quoted me a MUCH better price than that. www.sunsetimports.com

I did exactly the same thing - manually set the lever to the "fresh air" position. Now I'm trying to decide if I need to bother ever fixing it for real, because I wouldn't ever use the "recirulate" position anyway.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:01 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think we have reached a new pinnacle in modern automotive repair techniques.

I "took the thing apart, fiddled with it, and put it back together."

Meanwhile, Gerry used the "poking at it with a long screw driver" technique.

How often can you find such advanced techniques in one thread?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:03 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You can also try tapping it sharply with an Irish screwdriver ... I mean, a hammer. ;-)
Old 06-28-2006, 10:08 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Bruce,
The A/C also forces a recirc operation so you might not get as great cooling if you are stuck in fresh air mode. Probably not a big deal there. When I had mine "forced" into fresh air mode I actually noticed more problems in the winter because you get an extra rush of cold air while driving at speed that the recirc would usually block off for you. Just more stuff to throw out there anyway.
Brian
Old 06-29-2006, 05:45 PM
pezza
Racer

I'm not sure that it's a good idea to leave it set manually fully open long term, I recall reading that the flap gradually changes angle and shuts of some fresh air as the speed increases as not to put a strain on the blower motors. I don't think I made this up, but open to correction if rubbish.

I ordered the part today £107, had to use the part number listed in the thread earlier, I gave the sales desk the part number off of the servo and he said that the number was no longer in use...

regards
Old 06-30-2006, 02:20 PM
chet
Instructor

May I ask where the "sticky" bypass valve is that you can poke at, or which servo controls the fresh air flap. I hate to hijack somebody else's thread with a problem of my own, but my air flow drops to practically nothing when I push in the recirculate button, or either of the AC buttons. The blower is blowing air when I'm in fresh air mode with no AC. By the way, what is the relationship, or the difference between the vacuum controlled bypass valve and the servo operated valve? What is the bypass valve bypassing, and how can I determine whether I'm looking for a vacuum problem or a servo problem. My problem seems to be the opposite of pezza's problem, but I thought the answer might be related to the same thing.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:22 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

>This thread< has some good info that I think will answer it for you.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:31 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

- The motor servo opens/closes the fresh air inlet.
- The vacuum operated flap opens/closes the recirculated inlet from the inside of the car.
= If both get closed off then you lose airflow.

So if you are having the opposite of the other problems then you are most likely just having a vacuum leak. Was your radio replaced recently? Right under the CCU is a vacuum line that likes to fall out of its connection. That will certainly do it.

Check this out for more details... http://p-car.com/diy/acdiag.html
Old 06-30-2006, 05:50 PM
chet
Instructor

Thanks guys.
Between the last post and now, I took out the glove box and took out the radio looking for the recirulation flap and finally found where the flap is. Then I took out the ac control unit and saw the piece that is supposed to be operating the flap and sure enough, that is where one little tube had come out from another. Now that I found out what it looks like and where it is, all I have to do is put everything back together. Everything that I wouldn't have even taken apart if I had a clue what I was doing. I'll just think of it as a bonding experience with my car.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:14 AM
pezza
Racer

New fresh air servo fitted, (top tip here, connect the power plug onto the servo, then switch the ignition on, and the arm moves into the correct position to fit the servo back, otherwise you may damage it trying to force it in).

I now have a working fresh air flap. Thanks for all the replies.

Perry

Quick Reply: Fresh Air Electric Servo