Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone here painted their bumperettes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 04:16 PM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Has anyone here painted their bumperettes?

When I get my Turbo S tail painted I was thinking of having the front and rear bumperettes painted. I got the idea from the bumperplugs web site. I know the better way would be to remove them and fill the holes but I am guessing my paint shop could do all four bumperettes for $100.00 while they are doing the tail. Has anyone done this and do you have any pictures? They looked good on the 996 back bumper on the website. I am not sure how it would look with the 993. TIAFYH
Old 06-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I wish you'd posted this two days before, I could have taken pictures yesterday. I saw a red car with the rear bumperettes painted red and it looked pretty good. I'm not sure it's for every color, but on red it looked good. The other thing this car had is the black plastic moldings under the doors and rear quarters painted red. It was Rob King's car at Scargo so if you can get someone to swing by, they could get some pictures for you.

edit: found a picture for you. www.gotbluemilk.com Check out car #7 at the Thunderhill track event yesterday. There's a shot of his rear end.

Greg H.

Last edited by Greg H.; 06-23-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:39 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the 993, I think the rears look pretty good painted but the fronts don't look right to me. I think it's because the rears look like they're molded into the bumper, while the fronts just look painted. With Guards Red, I think you'd be better off blackening the bumperettes with Back To Black or a similar product. A dark black against the red tends to look pretty good.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:59 PM
mcuozzo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paint the rear bumperettes and get rid of the front ones!

Old 06-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 394 Posts

I think there are a pic or two at bumperplugs and rennlist websites of painted front 993 bumperettes.

There is not substitute for the Euro front bumper with Turbo S scoops - IMHO.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:40 PM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better yet...get both a front and rear Euro bumper!
Old 06-23-2006, 10:56 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Just fill the danged things in and call it a day....

If I can do it (see the link in the previous paragraph) - so can you.. ..

John
Old 06-24-2006, 01:24 AM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks mcuozzo. John D as always you rule. I just did a complicated drywall project in my house and the filling of the bumperettes seems very "do'able". Now it all comes down to cash when I talk to my bodyshop. I think I will do the backs for sure. (post more pictures if you have them). I need to find out what painting the whole front will cost.

Big question: I have seen some people cut the middle bar out of the air scoop in the front of a narrow body bumper. Do yo think this is ok?
Old 06-24-2006, 01:31 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by John D.
If I can do it (see the link in the previous paragraph) - so can you.. ..
John,
Is there anyway we/you could move any photos that are used in the DIY forums to a location that won't be deleted every 12 months? Most people are still using attachments which makes any DIY posting almost worthless a year later.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:50 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Joel and Jason!

Just a quick note before leaving for work....

Joel - sorry that I don't have more pictures, as I did that project almost 2 years ago..? But - if you decide to do it - keep us posted, OK? If you get stuck - just let us know where you are, and we'll try to walk you through it..! As for cutting out the middle bar, I didn't do that, so I don't know if it required any extra reinforcement of the pad?

Jason - yep - I agree..! Let me take a look at how best to be sure those archive pics stay in place..? Good thought.. thanks!!!

John
Old 06-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Freddy
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Joel,

I did the front ones. I like them the way they are now. I still have the original paint on the front bumper - the car is 6k miles...

Freddy
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Has anyone here painted their bumperettes?