Notices

DIY - Filling Bumperette holes....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 12:54 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Default DIY - Filling Bumperette holes....

In all the extra time this evening (LOL!!! ) - I filled one of the holes in my bumperette cover

kkim asked if I could post a how to - so here it is....

OK - remove your bumperpad.. Next you'll need a few things like stirrers, a variety of wet/dry paper, a body filler spreader, body tape, masking tape, and some pricey chemicals - most especially - SEM plastic repair 2-part epoxy. I'm an SEM bigot - but frankly - they are the best for this application...

Here is the hole you are trying to fill. Take 80 grit sandpaper - and rough up all the edges and surfaces:

Next - take masking tape - ON THE OUTSIDE of the cover - and mask off the hole. Don't ask why yet - I'll tell you in a minute..

Next - remember that filler spreader I told you to get? Great - you'll need it now. Cut a small piece about 1/2" wide - and place it OVER the masking tape. It will keep the form of the outer curve.

Next - place masking tape over that, to keep the form. What you are doing - is creating a "form" for the SEM to hold it's shape into...

Next - mix your chemicals (SEM) and with a piece of fiberglass tape - you are about to pour the top-coat. Fill, from the inside of the pad, about 1/8" of SEM, and over that, place the fiberglass body tape. As you pour it in (I use a stick) - build it up quickly:

And then place the tape over it. Press the tape into the SEM, and work the chemical to remove any air-bubbles. Let it set for about 20 minutes - and repeat. From the inside of the cover - here is what it will look like:

After letting everything set-up - it's the moment of truth... Remove the masking tape from the outside, and your filler/mold strips - and if you took a minute - it will look like this...

With a BLOCK sanding block (at 400 grit) it's time to find out what you did. DO NOT use a soft foam block, as the hard sanding block will follow the contours of the bumperpad without creating highs/lows....

Finally - take a bit of SEM, and refill anylows. Work it out to feather it against the work piece. When you do - it will start looking like this:

Last step... After you are sanded and feathered - put on some flexible filler/primer - just a scratch coat... When you do - VOILA! Here is what you have... (NOW - I just need Euro Clear lenses!! )
Old 07-23-2004, 08:53 PM
John D.
Banned

Just a quick update....

This week has been a tad hectic - so I was grabbing a few minutes here and there to finish this up. A few of you asked to see the progress - sure!

Anyway - after feathering, sanding - and hours of prep - I shot the water based primer tonite. I'm using water base as I have a feeling that the POs "body shop" may have used a mix of paint types (and a little bubble gum?).. Anyway - I'll shoot the base later tonite or tomorrow and then the clear. Hopefully - it will done this weekend....!!!

BTW: Yes - NH requires a front plate - however - I'm "not sure what happened officer - my mount has no holes to screw into???"

Here is one filled bumperette hole (the right side), after the initial primer spray:

And some of the small parts - RS Splitters, OEM splitters, TurboS ducts, tow hole cover, etc..

Old 07-24-2004, 03:37 AM
John D.
Banned

Nevermind - I wasn't planning on sleeping anyway Here are some pics after the spray session tonite....

Old 07-24-2004, 02:16 PM
John D.
Banned

Default All done.....

It's kind'a cloudy out - but here is the final product.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions, comments - and support! And yes - I like it better without the headlight washers

Quick Reply: DIY - Filling Bumperette holes....