Ok, not another mid rise lift question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ok, not another mid rise lift question

Ok guys it is my turn to buy a mid rise sissor lift. I have lifted so many cars with a standard floor jack and jack stand for so long I have gotten to a point where I have developed a phobia of jacking car up simply I am just plain tired of it.

And in addition somewhere in the back of my mind I've always had a wild thought that one day you guys will read a post on the board posted by someone informing you guys that I died because I was crushed under a 993 over the weekend...etc....

And then I saw this post on the 996 board....

Mid rise lift installed

So I am ready to buy a mid rise sissor lift, the unit posted on the 996 board is a :

Bend-Pak's Mid Rise Lifts - 6,000 lb. capacity auto lift
$1480 Free SHIPPING*

Model MD-6XP 6,000 lbs. Lowered Height
4.75" Max. Lift Ht. 48" With shortest adapters Overall Width
41.25" Overall Length
81" Standard Motor
110/220 VAC
Weight - 950 lbs.

So here are my questions:

What do guys recommend?

Will a lift of 48" be enough to drop a engine?

TIA
Old 06-21-2006, 11:00 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX

TIA
Wow Robin, Not used to hearing you ask questions.. Your the guy who answers them
Good luck with your lift project. I'd love to come see it when you get it installed.

B
Old 06-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been watching the mid rise lifts for a while and the Bend-Pak keeps rising to the top on my short list. Lots more fun than the floor jack!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:50 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
The height of the Bendpack is plenty but the horizontal braces that tie the two sides together on both ends don't provide enough clearance for the 964 & 993 transmission when you drop the engine or try to reinstall.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Robin - I have a jack that lifts 30" and was able to drop my engine. However, I did remove the bumper cover and the engine just cleared the chassis. But as Jason said...the cross braces might be an issue.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:11 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For another grand bend pak makes a full rise, open centered lift which I have looked at but have yet to pull the trigger. A 2 post lift would be ideal but I need to repair/replace my concrete first.........
Old 06-22-2006, 02:17 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I would have to look over the previous threads but I seem to remember two issues:

- Does the lift have clearances right back to the tail of the transmission?
- Does the lift raise the car enough to drop the engine?

You will still have to use some sort of jacking system to hold the engine up before you drop it ; you have to undo the clutch slave and the throttle (which definitely requires access from below) while the engine is half dropped so I guess the question is, with the engine sitting on as low a sliding platform as possible will the rear bumper clear with the lift at full height. 48" sounds pretty close. When I dropped my engine last time I dropped it onto my wheeled stand (an old bandsaw portable base...works great) and then lifted the butt of the car up with my overhead winch. Unfortunately I did not measure the clearance.

How does an article this heavy get shipped? I guess you have to go down and pick it up. Are there any air powered ones? The reason I ask is I have a good sized compressor....

Price seems pretty good though!!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-22-2006, 02:30 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Unfortunately I did not measure the clearance.
For the whole engine you need 28" of clearance but if you remove the intake manifold and cooling fan then all you need is 16".
Old 06-22-2006, 07:09 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

This is another scissor lift link : to avoid cutting the floor, an equally portable platform was made of 2x10s for a 'drive-on' ramp.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:59 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J

How does an article this heavy get shipped? I guess you have to go down and pick it up. Are there any air powered ones? The reason I ask is I have a good sized compressor....

Price seems pretty good though!!

Cheers,

Mike
shipping is included. They will drop at your door for an additional cost. I picked it up at the truck depo. I think they deliver to your businessaddress for free if you want.
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2006, 10:39 AM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

Robin see this.....I did drop the motor and trans with this one. Ron and I beat the hell out of this topic.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/188608-eagle-mid-rise-lift.html

Andy
Old 06-22-2006, 10:45 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Robin, Check out www.gregsmithequipment.com I bought mine there and would recommend them. email me and I will send pics. I have heard of people cutting the rear cross brace off so they can drop engines.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:20 AM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From seaching the threads quite a few of you have purchased the Greg Smith Equipment Mid Rise Lift a while back.

Have any of you had any problems with it to date? That looks like the best buy so far and I am about to pull the trigger on that one if it's problem free.

Thanks

Scott
Old 12-15-2008, 05:42 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Hope these help you decide. I love mine and would not trade it.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:25 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robin, I called you a few times when I dropped my engine.

Yes, you can with a midrise lift you just need to remove the last metal brace on the lift so that the trans clears. Also, this metal bar makes a great breaker bar to use later on. I will dig up some photos of what I have, but the clearance was amazing. You will have a ton of room. I also used a 1ton rolling cart that lifts up. This was very handy because you can rest the trans and engine on the cart, plus you can raise it to put then engine on a stand incase you need to do the SAI Roto-rooting.

Last part is to get some lift pucks made. I used Mike J's template for his jack stands. This helps alot.

One good thing about this lift combination is you can actually install the engine yourself. I did!

Mine is the 48" and was plenty of room. I have a 10ft ceiling and a garage door so I had some clearance issues. But 48" clearance is a lot of room to maneuver around.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Pr...-p/tppro6m.htm

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/1-...k-p/httf50.htm

You can see the torque tube resting on a paint can and then resting on one of the lift braces. No clearance issues at all.

No need to remove the bumper cover!

These are the plates I had made up. They replace the rubber pads that come with the lift and use the existing 4 bolt holes.

Last edited by jaholmes; 12-15-2008 at 03:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Ok, not another mid rise lift question