Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Carrera Targa owners. I need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:46 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some water is supposed to drain out past the back of the glass and by the rubber seals into drains at the rear corners. It sounds like these drains may be clogged. I've yet to have this problem so I can't tell you where the drains are exactly but Mike or Andrew probably can if you can't find them yourself. Double check that these drains are clear before you do anything else.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Devin:

Besides the roof questions, if you're trying to choose between a 964 and a 993, you might want to look at issue 48 of Total 911 magazine (it's a month or two old, and has a black 993 on the cover), which has a 993 article that deals with a number of the developmental issues from the 964 to the 993.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:01 PM
OMyMan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrienne
PM me your email address and I'll send to you.
jolsgen@gmail.com

Thanks...
Old 04-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by OMyMan
\

ALL the TSB's for the 993 (including the Targa) on on www.pcarworkshop.com.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Marzoc
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Marc, I have the TSBs in pdf (for Targa top noise and leaking). PM me your email address. If anyone else needs them, PM me with your email address.
Hi,
I would be greatfull if you would email me the TBS files. mh@martinhildebrandt.dk.
Just bought me first Porsche a 1996 black Targa. Have to wait 45 days before it arrives in Copenhagen.

Martin
Old 10-11-2011, 06:08 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Marzoc
Hi,
I would be greatfull if you would email me the TBS files. mh@martinhildebrandt.dk.
Just bought me first Porsche a 1996 black Targa. Have to wait 45 days before it arrives in Copenhagen.

Martin
They are all posted here now: www.pcarworkshop.com
Old 10-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mts
They are all posted here now: www.pcarworkshop.com
The entire set of TBS's have been on my site for a few years now.... :-)
Old 01-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Q8drill
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adrienne I need a copy of TSP, I own 1996 Targa with a jammed glass roof, my email address: aalsarraf@hotmail.com
Thanks
Ahmad
Old 01-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Q8drill
Advanced

I need help finding a repair kit for my 1996 Targa sliding roof, The cable is stripped at the motor gear and roof si stuck at partial close position, Can I replace the cable without removing the whole roof? Please advise.

Ahmad
Old 01-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes you can replace the cables without removing the whole roof. It involves removing the interior trim pieces: the sunblind and its tracks, the wind deflector, the glass sliding roof, and then tackling the removal of the tracks which weren't designed to be removed without taking the whole top off—but can be with much difficulty.

For information on how it all works see:

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...ration_Outline

The Porsche workshop manual that gives a poor description is here:

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/images/f...aManualpgs.pdf

but that shows the roof removal way of taking the cables out, but up until then it is the same.

For the parts see: http://www.pelicanparts.com/PartsLoo...-02-Frame5.htm

and look at #27 That is the repair kit that replaces the cables. A lot of other bits come with it.

The cables cant be fixed. ff they are stripped they must be replaced.

Depending on how the top is jammed you may be able to get the top closed by removing the rear deck cover and taking off both roof drive motors and manually pulling and pushing the top closed. You then have to press the sunroof button as if you were closing it all the way to get the motors into the correct (Closed) position and reinstall the motors so the timing is right. (Be careful with the reinstallation of the drive motors, the mounting bolts are easily stripped.

Last edited by Amfab; 01-14-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:32 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ahmad,

Often times these cables strip because they have either gotten chewed up from the gears on the motors or the cables have stretched. Either of which can make the cables very subjective to the least bit of resistance once you correct the mal-alignment. After you replace the cables (if they are indeed worn out) you may have to also replace one or more (there are two total) of the gears on these motors that drive the cables. I swapped one glass-top motor gear with the sunshade cable motor gear as they are interchangeable. Also, the sunshade does not require nearly the torque that the glass top does, so it a much more convenient way of changing gears.

To be honest, I consider both Andrew and Mike Juzenas to be some of the experts on this stuff (replies above) . I have gotten pretty good at taking apart and putting back together. You will find there is little help with these targa tops, even at the dealerships and it can get to be quite expensive to have someone do the work. I think we all have been quite facile with these targa tops because you either fix it yourself or live with it, sorry to say.

I have replaced the cables that you are talking about and I have completely disassembled and successfully reassembled the entire cable system WITHOUT removing the tracks from the car. But it takes a bit of time, finesse, and, optimally, another set of hands to really do it right. If you are planning on doing this project we can talk you through it if you like. You are also more than welcome to come visit me. But I am in southern California so that may be far from you.

Andrew and Mike also have all the literature you will find on these tops. I don't have anything to add in that department as I got most of my stuff from them.

Marc Gianzero
Old 01-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Q8drill
Advanced

Guys thanks for the info, Now the glass roof is stuck at the partial closed position where water can leaks inside the car, Is it possible to change the cables without removing the whole top even when the glass and wind deflector are stuck at the closed position.
I already started removing some of the interior panels to have access to the mechanism.
Don't know how to release the cable from the track that I can open the glass roof.
Your help is appreciated.

Ahmad
Old 01-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There is no "release"mechanism on these roofs - there is a manual mode where yoi can disconnect the drive motors and use a hex wrench to move the cables. However, if one of the cables (or both, there are two) is stripped, you have to park the car and work on it. You might be able to disconnect the cable ends at the roof panel and manualy move the panel, but its difficult.

This roof is complex and lacking documention. Most dealers have zero expertise on them. Sorry, but you will have to do it yourself with us helping unless you can find someone.

There are only a few who have gone as deep as you need to go, but we are here to help.

How do you know the cables are stripped? How many miles on the car? What is the roof doing? Is it twisting in its frame?

Cheers

Mike
Old 01-16-2012, 10:38 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ahmad,

The are several things you can do at this point to get your top to close. There are things you can do temporarily to simple get your top closed. But if you want to "fix" the cause of your problem, that would involve further investigation.

You can opt to close the top using pure manual mode (i.e. popping the red motor caps on both motors and hand pushing the top while turning one of the motors with an allen wrench). But, like Mike said, this assumes the top is still "reasonably" straight in the tracks. If the glass top is too tweaked (i.e. misaligned in the tracks) to move manually, then you need to straighten them by removing BOTH motors simultaneously. But that is not something I would do unless you discussed it further with one of us. ***Once you do this, you risk throwing off the timing of these motors with the limit switches and also causing the glass to advance unevenly, causing a possible worse scenario.*** But if the glass roof is really tweaked, the timing is off any ways.

Also, like Mike stated above, there's usually a reason why the top is off timing to begin with. The cables can get worn over time and jump a tooth or so. But, also if the window get jammed by something inside the track, or excessive torque on the cables such as caused by overly dirty tracks, these cables can stretch. When the stretch, the gears no longer mesh properly with the cables since the cable itself serves as gear mesh surface.

Whatever you do, do NOT lubricate the cables or gears with any sort of oil, grease lubricant. The drive mechanism must have as little debris on it as possible. Porsche only recommends a light silicone spray on the track itself and to wipe any excess dust or dirt from any of the driving mechanism at all times.

Where are you located? Perhaps we can talk you through it on the phone or stop by for a visit.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Q8drill
Advanced

I removed one motor at the time to check the cable at the motor gear area I found out on the driver side motor the cables are stripped and lots of debris gone inside the tube which caused the cable to be stuck I think, I cleaned up some junk and installed the motor, I tried the manual way at the motor and pushing by hand to get the roof to full closed but no success. The glass roof is not fully closed, it's about 1/2" lower on the driver side rear but it's straight. I need to find a way to release the cable and fully close the roof for the time being. The car is in Kuwait which is about day and half of flying time from California, it's 1996 limited edition Targa with 53,000 ML, this car was parked since June 2004, now I'm trying to put some life in it, I did lots of work already but the sliding roof is something different. I picked up a new RS pulley to install later. I will send some pics tomorrow.
Thanks
Ahmad

Quick Reply: 993 Carrera Targa owners. I need help