Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Carrera Targa owners. I need help

Old 06-20-2006, 01:42 PM
tam993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own one. the top doesn't leak. It does have some wind noise at high speed.
It has never malfunctioned.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:02 PM
BanMeNot
Intermediate

Hi,
Anyone able to fix the wind noise when top air vent window closed. That is too noise when over 100 mph. I guess the rubber seal soften after aged. That is abit quieter when I pushed metal bar under the large glass top upwards.

Sorry for stealing the thread.
Thanks,
Keith
Old 06-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Keith - I have that exact problem (okay fine, at the track). My shop has adjusted the wind deflector as much as they can, to tighten the deflector against the rubber seal on the glass top. I have put silicone grease on the seal, which helped for a while. Likely I will need to replace that seal soon; it is pretty old at this point. The seal is (or maybe was) about $70 when I checked last year, not sure on labor to replace, but it looks pretty easy to me.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Keith - I have that exact problem (okay fine, at the track). My shop has adjusted the wind deflector as much as they can, to tighten the deflector against the rubber seal on the glass top. I have put silicone grease on the seal, which helped for a while. Likely I will need to replace that seal soon; it is pretty old at this point. The seal is (or maybe was) about $70 when I checked last year, not sure on labor to replace, but it looks pretty easy to me.
I have not had that one (yet!) out but can experiment with my old roof (which I still have) if you want to know how well this comes out before you remove yours. I think its one of the only seals that I have not pulled since my new roof came with a new one. I have had the front, rear, side strips, quarter glass uppers, quarter glass lower seals and door seals all off and installed them myself, they are not too hard. The hardest seal is replacing the long black side strips, they are a real #$(*$)#* since you have to tap (i.e. pound) them in down the groove between the roof and the rear window.

When you visor is down does it sit flush or slighlty higher than the glass top? If its below the surface of the top there will be some noise since the wind will be "caught" at the forward edge of the glass roof. There is both a felt border and a soft landing surface out of fluted rubber for that seal. I can see some noise if this seal is not tight since it will draw air from inside the car. Water tight does not matte since any leaks will run down the rubber seal to either sdie and drip into the drain channels running towards the rear.

Adrienne, I guess they have adjusted the front wind deflector (one nut on eash side to adjust the closed position) so it presses down on the seal as much as possible? Is the back edge of your air deflector at the same height as the front edge of the roof? Just curious since I was adjusting mine this weekend as I was doing the final assembly of the new roof...

Oh, another idea. There is an excentric cam adjustment that will adjust how much the top of the roof goes up when it closes. You can adjust that to have the forward edge of the roof go higher. This will allow the wind deflector to put more pressure on the glass top. I have not adjusted this (yet) but I think its adjustable....

Cheers

Mike
Old 06-20-2006, 06:32 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike - yes, we have adjusted the wind deflector via a nut on each side (page 3 of 11, Figure 2 on the TSB for noise). The deflector is flush against the targa glass. It's only a minor adjustment, and I cannot visually see a difference once adjusted. We haven't adjusted the forward edge of the glass though. I'll look into that, thanks for the idea.

If you still have your old targa top, if you wouldn't mind checking to see how much of a pain it is to remove that seal, that would be fantastic! It's the seal that the deflector rests on while closed against the leading edge of the targa glass. Maybe try removing a small section on the side, just to see how it comes up? That would be great!
Old 06-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

OK, I will go down to the body shop tomorrow. i want to check on my car anyways, its almost finished...they just have a bit of polishing and some minor paintwork on the door sills. No interior yet...I need to drive it in a few rainstorms first before I am 100% confident that its leak-free.

I will peel the gasket edge back and take pictures. I also want to see how hard it is to get at the front excentrics though...I read about it but have not attempted that adjustment. I also read somewhere that the glass joints should not be totally flush but the leading glass should be slightly higher than the following glass (if you get what I mean). I am guessing if the panels are totally level maybe that will cause a whistling sound? I don't know.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool, thanks Mike!! And yeah, I get what you mean regarding the wind deflector position. I'll check mine when I get home to see if it is completely flush or slightly above.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:41 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I did take a look at my old roof. I do have pictures but have not uploaded them yet...it may not be worth it. The leading edge of the roof has two seperate seals. The first is the felt..it just pulls off and its clipped onto a ridge formed in the metal section that is glued to the roof panel. It looks like that is part number 993.562.531.00. Simple to replace but its not the actual seal..the other seal is a different matter. It loosk like the rubber ribbed part that is attached to the sliding glass frame. Well, I poked and prodded and it looks like it wraps underneath the edge of the frame. It did not budge when I work it. Since there is not a seperate part number for it as well as it appears to be integral I think its part of the sliding glass panel...which is many many $$$$ to replace.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-30-2007, 07:47 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to get a copy of the TSB's for the wind noise and related issues, if possible. My car is quieter with top open at highway speeds than closed.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

PM me your email address and I'll send to you.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:09 PM
creator8
Instructor

Another vote for the Targa. I'm not a convertible fan. The Targa is a totally different experience. The glass roof is unique. No major ssues with rattles and definitely no leaks or wind noise.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:55 AM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, the Targa is the best of both worlds. The security of a coupe and the openness of a cab. I love mine. It's a "keeper". I had a 964 and I liked it a lot. The 993 is much improved vs. the 964.
Good luck on your search.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:52 AM
rt69
Intermediate

Cool

I agree with the posts here. The targa gives you the best of both worlds.

On a sunny day with the roof/windows open, you'll have no regrets.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:45 PM
avillena
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Torquing

I check mine every six months or when needed. The bolts holding the roof are not the appropriate size for the job, my opinion, you can not torque them as tight as you wanted to, otherwise they'll break.

Andrew
Old 05-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by avillena
I check mine every six months or when needed. The bolts holding the roof are not the appropriate size for the job, my opinion, you can not torque them as tight as you wanted to, otherwise they'll break.

Andrew
I have used locktite to make sure the bolts do not loosen and then torque them to spec. I use red for the big bolts that are at the front corners...they are more critical and will squeak if loose. I used some blue locktite on the other such as the pillar anchors and the rear deck nuts. I have not used any locktite on the seal bolts yet ; they don't seem to get loose on my car.

Cheers,

Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993 Carrera Targa owners. I need help