Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking normal when to body flexes/torques over driveways??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 11:29 AM
wannaB_turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great! I mean, all along it was making me nervous, but I am SOOOO glad to know that the creaks are normal.
BTW, I have the PSS9 suspension and a strut bar as well.

Thanks guys!
--Andy
Old 06-17-2006, 11:39 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

I just posted a new thread with a solution I found that applies to me, I hope it works for you guys

'97 Carrera S 100% original
Old 06-17-2006, 12:07 PM
mborkow
Drifting

at least the windshield does not creak like the 993
i keep reading about this, but i have no windshield creak at all *knock on wood* --and i am on windshield #2 now.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:18 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 993 creaks, windshield is what I think it is. My 997 does not creak at all although I hit the black plastic air dam all the damn time.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:57 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts

As many of us know, a properly installed windshield can make all the difference. With my last windshield, there were no creaks until it got mildly "shattered" by a golfball-sized piece of concrete. Then it really creaked. With the new one, which was properly installed, it is totally quiet again.

Doug, if you dash is creaking, try removing the ashtray and loosening and then re-tighening the bolt behind it while slightly holding up on the dash. It really worked for me. The dash slowly wiggles loose at this point over a period of time.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:25 PM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine creaks a little, so I'm glad it's normal. I notice it most when I'm making a turn on an uphill off camber. How about door rattle on the cabs? I've replaced the latch grabs, and the doors aren't sagging, but I still get a little rattle if I hit the right (wrong?) bumps.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The strut tower brace didn't seem to help my creaking that much, and I agree that it's worse since installing the PSS9's.

The Porsche manual recommends using Vaseline to lubricate the front sway bar bushings, and this, along with periodically tightening the sway bar brackets, has helped quite a bit. I think some of the PSS9 creaking might be coming from the springs moving slightly, but I'm not sure.

I wish I "enjoyed" the creaking as much as some of you.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:51 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anir
The Porsche manual recommends using Vaseline to lubricate the front sway bar bushings, and this, along with periodically tightening the sway bar brackets, has helped quite a bit.
I was faxed this from porsche stuttgart two minutes ago, Anir you are totally right, the USA manual is different.

Last edited by geolab; 06-19-2006 at 03:15 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:27 AM
unclespeed
Rennlist Member

I have good and bad creaks - my windshield doesn't much creak at all to bother (luky me -for now- perhaps). I only get some little noises that sound like a very muted hail storm (sounds pretty sweet)...

...but yesterday the rear started rattling (my rear window, I think). Is it due to the RSRs?? This is very annoying, as it keeps me from hearing the lovely sounds of that exhaust. I first thought it was being caused by my son's booster seat in the back - and when he was riding with me the sound was gone. But now it is back and I am able to reproduce by lightly hitting the rear panel under the window...

Any thoughts / suggestions on how to remedy this?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:08 AM
AShearer
Instructor

Originally Posted by texas911
My 993 creaks, windshield is what I think it is. My 997 does not creak at all although I hit the black plastic air dam all the damn time.
+1 Exactly my experience.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Geolab, I looked and did not find your recent thread. Would you mind giving me a clue? Merci.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:10 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am on my third windscreen. All three squeaked.
I've heard (but have not 'done') the 'Pedro's wax' fandango - which 'quietens' the rubber-creaks -- mainly because I've heard that when your windscreen needs to be replaced AGAIN - that's the installers will curse you to high heaven because everything has to be chemically-cleaned so as to make sure that the glue 'takes'.

Gerry
Old 10-17-2007, 01:49 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Don Magee
Geolab, I looked and did not find your recent thread. Would you mind giving me a clue? Merci.
Hello Don, Here is the link I was talking about. I think remedy is any greasy substance
but make sure it contains zero H2O inside, regards

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/280564-how-to-remove-squeaking-creaking-noises-and-torsion-sounds-solution.html
Old 10-17-2007, 03:31 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
As many of us know, a properly installed windshield can make all the difference. With my last windshield, there were no creaks until it got mildly "shattered" by a golfball-sized piece of concrete. Then it really creaked. With the new one, which was properly installed, it is totally quiet again.

Doug, if you dash is creaking, try removing the ashtray and loosening and then re-tighening the bolt behind it while slightly holding up on the dash. It really worked for me. The dash slowly wiggles loose at this point over a period of time.
I have new front and rear glass. The front creaks. Looks like it wasn't properly installed. It does sound like an excuse for a KLA strut brace.

"Hello, slope? Meet slippery. Slippery, meet slope."
Old 10-17-2007, 03:44 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no creaks of any kind (88K on the odo). I guess I'm lucky.

Quick Reply: Creaking normal when to body flexes/torques over driveways??