Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

993tt has got to be about as good as it gets...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you experience boost, it's tough to return to "normal". I someitmes wish mine was narrow body, "Stealth look ya know". But not often. I like my cars "booty"

Steve
Old 06-09-2006, 05:53 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I would have to pay $80k
i am not sure about that. i am seeing a lot of TTs for sale and some are <$60. at that price point it might not be in the same shape as your current car, but you could certainly make it that good (look at how well blackhorse turned out; did you see what it looked like before it was restored?)
Old 06-09-2006, 10:54 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

interesting comments from everyone...

I guess each of us are different in how we use our cars... not right or wrong, just different. I am not a big track guy, I like to spend 4 hrs in my garage detailing my car with the speed channel in the background, then spend the rest of the day driving it on twisty roads, etc. Those that are big track types cant understand that behavior, but then I cant understand why they go thrash these pieces of history around the race track... go rent a car or use someone elses at a driving school! *just kidding* Any way, my point is that for me if i trade up it must be in top shape, so that might be cost prohibitive for awhile...

I have thought about the 3.8 engine upgrade... about $10k or so I would guess, and really only gain 15 or so horsepower... not sure it is worth it. I would worry about reliability with a supercharger.

I do agree that there is something fun and pure about the NA engine with two wheel drive and the howl of the engine...
Old 06-10-2006, 12:01 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Jonathan,

I know car lust is passion and not logic. I can also understand why your thirst for a 993tt. It is definitley a jaw-dropping work of art and performance.

Do we need this type of performance, street or track? Probably not. Can we use this level of performance in a street car. No in 99.9% of the time, so why own such a car? My only answer is that because emotionally, we will not rest until we have the best at our disposal. The 993 is a formidible car, better than most cars one can drive. However, Just knowing that there is another level of 993s out there makes our blood boil and our desire stir. It is pure passion, not logic.

I know myself well enough to know that I can't be happy with just a regular 993 (flame suit on). I guess the fact I was driving an M5 made the 993 lacking (in the torque department at least). So I held my fire, shopped and shopped until I found my RUF. Now I can see the turbos, and Italian exotics, whizzing by, and I feel zero car envy, zilch. That's the magic of owning this car. I suspect the 993tt will do the same for you. So my suggestion is: don't put off the inevitable. It will only cost you more time, energy, and may be even $$. Just get it done and enjoy life.

CP
Old 06-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent Spinks
I have a one word compromise for both camps....

Supercharger.
The problem with SC's is that they are stressing the engine past what its been engineered to take ; in the case of the Turbos there are lots of internal modifications that were made to make sure the engine has a reasonable life. I just think that unless the engine is custom built to handle a SC it won't have the same lifetime as a non-SC engine so I would avoid having one.

Just my two cents! ;-)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-10-2006, 01:38 AM
infinii
Instructor

Originally Posted by CP
So my suggestion is: don't put off the inevitable. It will only cost you more time, energy, and may be even $$. Just get it done and enjoy life.

CP
The man's got a point. And being a stickler for excellent condition, waiting longer works against you as these 10yr old cars aren't getting any newer.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:59 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Jonathan,

I'm here in TX now... when do you want to go for a drive? or better yet take the Silvar Bullet for a spin...

Old 06-10-2006, 02:08 AM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I had the opportunity to drive my friends 97 993TT and it was a total blast. The only down fall that I myself hate about the TT is the cooling down of the Turbos before you shut off the engine. So... if you ever have an Upset Stomach and gotta go quick..... I don't think you'll make in time.

I think you'll end up with more than a... in your pants.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:11 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by CAHRERA
The only down fall that I myself hate about the TT is the cooling down of the Turbos before you shut off the engine. So... if you ever have an Upset Stomach and gotta go quick..... I don't think you'll make in time.

I think you'll end up with more than a... in your pants.
Scott,

Anytime the boost hits, the passenger craps in his/her pants. So what's the problem?

CP
Old 06-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

I know the TT alure. My stage 2 S4 (also TT) just has a seductive punch even though only a 5 sec car. Still overall, I prefer the n/a C4S all things considered.

What about aftermarket turbos and SC's- but keep the boost down ( I use a manual boost control) a little so keep the reliablilty but gain as many ponies as you need? If its bolt on/off you can hold the resale on your car too.
If you like your car otherwise might that not be the answer?

Did I see above sinfulsteve has an aftermarket kit- what do decent kits run?
Old 06-10-2006, 11:27 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

For those undecided to Turbo or Not. IMHO would be to go with the TPC Supercharger... If you already have the na 993 that you love, for less than $12k you can have over 320 rwhp and not turbo lag. I have put over 14k miles on mine with no engine problems whatsoever. The fun factor is undescribable!!!!!
Old 06-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Jonathan,

I know car lust is passion and not logic. I can also understand why your thirst for a 993tt. It is definitley a jaw-dropping work of art and performance.

Do we need this type of performance, street or track? Probably not. Can we use this level of performance in a street car. No in 99.9% of the time, so why own such a car? My only answer is that because emotionally, we will not rest until we have the best at our disposal. The 993 is a formidible car, better than most cars one can drive. However, Just knowing that there is another level of 993s out there makes our blood boil and our desire stir. It is pure passion, not logic.

I know myself well enough to know that I can't be happy with just a regular 993 (flame suit on). I guess the fact I was driving an M5 made the 993 lacking (in the torque department at least). So I held my fire, shopped and shopped until I found my RUF. Now I can see the turbos, and Italian exotics, whizzing by, and I feel zero car envy, zilch. That's the magic of owning this car. I suspect the 993tt will do the same for you. So my suggestion is: don't put off the inevitable. It will only cost you more time, energy, and may be even $$. Just get it done and enjoy life.

CP

Geeze CP...you nailed it! And I thought that I had AADD (auto attention deficit disorder) when all along I had auto envy! I guess it's time to step up and find the right 993TT
Old 06-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by CP
Jonathan,

CP
Pong,

Hmmm.... This sounds familiar... thanks for talking me into a 993TT 2 years ago.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:11 PM
doogle
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I am curious is there anyone on the board that would actually PREFER to drive a NA 993 (stock) over a 993tt (stock)... I cant imagine if $ were not an issue and all else equal, most of us would want the Turbo, right?...
Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day. I do miss the noise of my n/a 993. I also think that a lot of the enjoyment I get from driving a car fast is 'ringing it's neck', blasting up to the red-line between corners and flicking it through them...to 'ring' the TTs neck you have to be going warp speed, which on these roads (UK) is downright dangerous. Doing the same in a n/a 993 involves you just as much without the near death experience ie the fun is more accessible IMHO.
I know if I ever go back to a n/a car I will miss the explosive thrust so it's going to be a very hard internal conflict

Looks wise the n/a cars look great, I love the clean classic shape but the turbo looks mean, all pumped up!

Good luck in your quest, it won't be easy, but just think the grass is always greener...and in this case I do believe it is equally greener on both sides ...just depends on what floats your boat.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:53 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by Air Kuul TT
Pong,

Hmmm.... This sounds familiar... thanks for talking me into a 993TT 2 years ago.
Tony,

Honestly. Now that you have the 993tt. You think you'd trade that for a regular Carrera?

CP

Quick Reply: 993tt has got to be about as good as it gets...