Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993tt has got to be about as good as it gets...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 01:44 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
showoff...
Wouldn't you?

CP
Old 06-09-2006, 01:54 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Jonathon,

Your C2S is very hot in the market right now, and Waldo is available for under $60k, as an example. I'll bet you that you can swap for a TT with very little cash outlay.

(pictures of Waldo from my old archive):
Attached Images    
Old 06-09-2006, 01:55 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by csertich
I might be the only one, but I really do prefer my normally aspirated 993 to a TT.
chuck
You're not the only one. I've considered a 993TT a few times in the past. The TT has absolutely spectacular power & acceleration, but that's never been my priority. I generally found my NA 993 to have as much of each as I desired or my license could afford. IMO, the TT feels much heavier, has less steering feel, is less "tossable," & lacks that wonderful sound of my MS 993 at WOT when Vram shifts its plumbing.

No question, the TT is a supercar. However, in my day to day driving while I could excercise my NA 993 w/WOT exiting turns or accelerating onto highways on a regular basis, that kind of spirited driving in a TT would seriously jeopardize my license.

For me, the TT just isn't as much fun to drive each day in my urban environment.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:24 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by STLPCA
chuck
You're not the only one. I've considered a 993TT a few times in the past. The TT has absolutely spectacular power & acceleration, but that's never been my priority. I generally found my NA 993 to have as much of each as I desired or my license could afford. IMO, the TT feels much heavier, has less steering feel, is less "tossable," & lacks that wonderful sound of my MS 993 at WOT when Vram shifts its plumbing.

No question, the TT is a supercar. However, in my day to day driving while I could excercise my NA 993 w/WOT exiting turns or accelerating onto highways on a regular basis, that kind of spirited driving in a TT would seriously jeopardize my license.

For me, the TT just isn't as much fun to drive each day in my urban environment.
I was thinking the very same thing.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:23 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
I was thinking the very same thing.
Ditto. Don't get me wrong, I love the TT. I've driven several and have wanted one for years. However, I do feel that the steering/shifter/clutch feel is not as nice as the 2wd n/a car.

I've fought the urge (okay, financial hurdles have helped) in the last 8+ years to upgrade my car to a TT. I'm glad now. As attractive as the TT is, there are Porsches that are just as fast (or faster) that I want more. For example, I find the upcoming 997 GT3 much more desireable - lighter, better handling, and probably faster.

I'll wait for one of those and hang on to my "slow" n/a......

Cheers
Old 06-09-2006, 05:28 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 71 Posts

Some of you guys are smoking crack cocaine...

Are you crazy?? The TT is simply an amazing vehicle. If I could find one in the condition that my C2S is in, same mileage, options, color, etc. for a reasonable price, I'd be in that faster than brad pitt jumped into bed with Angelina Jolie.

However, the $$$ it would cost me to sell my car, find a like TT at a reasonable price just doesn't seem that do-able. I know on paper it's possible, but finding the right buyer for my car and the right seller of a car I want is just too much to wish for.

B
Old 06-09-2006, 08:34 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
Some of you guys are smoking crack cocaine...

Are you crazy?? The TT is simply an amazing vehicle. If I could find one in the condition that my C2S is in, same mileage, options, color, etc. for a reasonable price, I'd be in that faster than brad pitt jumped into bed with Angelina Jolie.

However, the $$$ it would cost me to sell my car, find a like TT at a reasonable price just doesn't seem that do-able. I know on paper it's possible, but finding the right buyer for my car and the right seller of a car I want is just too much to wish for.

B
I couldnt have said this better. This is exactly my situation. Specifically, I would need to sell my car for about $55k and buy a turbo for about $65k-$67k for this to doable. Two things working against me... 1) With 46k miles my car is no spring chicken anymore in the low mileage category. although it is in absolute showroom condition, it will take a special buyer to pay that price. its every bit as nice as an RPM-type car, but doesnt have RPM-type mileage. The car has been hyper-maintained and I wouldnt sell it cheaper. 2) For a 993tt close to the condition of my current car, I think I would have to pay $80k

Anyway, I was curious as to others thoughts. I think that this is an interesting topic. While I agree with some here about prefering the 2-wheel drive feel, other than that I cannot see any downside to a turbo...as for newer cars, I just cant imagine any having the character/feel of the 993tt.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:36 AM
robroy72
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The TT is an absolute beast, the only NA 993 that would even deserve comparison is the RS.... and you can't get them in the states!
Old 06-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 993tt and previously had a 993c2. While i love my tt and will always keep it, i really do belive the 993c2 is more fun on the street at less than warp-drive speeds. The c2 is lighter, has better steering inputs, no front weight, and you can feel the car work a little. The TT has so much power and grip, there is nothing you can do on the street that makes it feel like it is working unless you are going crazy fast or live in Montana,etc.

id rather have a c2 to just tool around the suburbs or in a more populated area. The c2 is still plenty quick.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Brent Spinks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a one word compromise for both camps....

Supercharger.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:23 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im beginning my search for a 97 TT. There was one that sold on Ebay (Ebay seller was Budda or something like that) for $75k (buy it now after it didnt sell the 1st time) few months ago out of Vegas-black on black-really nice ride with something like 9k for miles. Really one of the best values I have seen in a 97 for awhile. Who ever got their hands on that vehicle got a great deal. I was almost going to go for it but have too many vehicles, new venture coming up, and possibly moving to Raleigh, North Carolina.

Like I did with my C4, taking my time, no hurry, being patient, and then out of no where, it hits me in the face and I'll buy it. Then I wont have the heart to get rid of the C4 and I will have another vehicle in toy collection.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:04 AM
higginsbeach
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ebay Purchase

I would bet the Willhoite got it and is now selling it for 89,000K. I was lucky and got a "fair" price for my new 1997 993 TT. It took 7 months to find the right price, mileage and quality. My same car is sellling at RPM, Willhoite and True Speed for about 81,000 to 83,000.

Roland
Old 06-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I'd like very much to find and buy the "right" 993TT, but I won't give up my Carrera S. I think having one of each would cure all of my problems - except the ever growing insurance expense.

Richard
Old 06-09-2006, 02:42 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

I have also wrestled with this dilemma too as you know jonathan. Power is addictive, no doubt about it. But, when I really feel the urge to trade up strongest is when I haven't been driving my car (or motorcycles) enough. I'd consider something like some DE events or autocross or driving clinics with the car. I was avoiding these types of things with the car because of its condition and low miles but in the long run, why else have these things. With a TT, I'd be in the same situation - thinking its too nice/valuable to use for these events and too seldom able to use the power safely on the streets. The few times I've been able to do a driving clinic this spring I always leave knowing I definitely don't need more power. It was my desire to keep it so pristine that was keeping me from doing the things in it that would make me enjoy it more. That won't change I'm betting with a different car. My guess is you'd be bored and looking elsewhere again after a couple of years. Just my experience at least.
good luck.
bill
Old 06-09-2006, 03:14 PM
robroy72
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You could always put the 3.8RS motor into the C2S

Quick Reply: 993tt has got to be about as good as it gets...