Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To trade or sell outright my 95? Pricing thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 10:22 PM
smithk993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To trade or sell outright my 95? Pricing thoughts?

I'm looking to trade or sell my 95 midnight blue/grey coupe. From what I can tell, the dealer is allowing me around $27k for my car. My question is what do you think I could sell individually for in a reasonable amount of time.

Car has the following:
- 64,000 miles
- OEM turbo front bumper
- MASHAW Euro RS wing
- New bilstein HD's with Euro M030 springs and turbo sway bars
- Partial leather
- RSR mufflers
- Group Buy Xenon's
- Sunroof
- 17" Boxster twist wheels
- New tires
- Lightweight flywheel /clutch installed at 43,000 miles

Front bumper painted when the turbo bumper was added and hood blended at same time to take care of stone chips. Only issue is slight wear on drivers seat upper side bolster.

I need to decide something by tommorrow so thanks for the feedback.

Keith
Old 05-23-2006, 10:27 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Keith, I am certain you would do much much better selling your car outright. It is convenient to trade in, but you pay for it.

What are you looking to get?
Old 05-23-2006, 10:40 PM
smithk993
Racer

I'm sort of embarrassed to say after 20+ years of driving some form of Porsche.... I'm looking at a 94 NSX.... I'm really concerned that I'm going to miss my 993 as it is by far the best all round P-car I've owned.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:44 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry if I ask...but why a 94 NSX? Is this a car that you always wanted to get, or you just got the bug for it?
Old 05-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the dealer really giving you $27k for the trade-in??? What could one buy the '94 for in cash? If your time and effort are worth what I would guess is at least $4k-$5k, then trade it (clearly you wouldn't keep the car and pay +$27k for the other thing, right?).
Old 05-23-2006, 10:51 PM
smithk993
Racer

NSX has always been a car I've admired as to overall looks, mid-engine, screaming engine and pretty good overall quality. They seem to hold their value quite well.

Not sure exactly what the last post was asking... but I guess I'm just trying to determine what a reasonable price to sell individually might be to move it relatively quick.

If I only end up with $1k it probably isn't worth the hassle. When I start getting to 2-3K then I start thinking NSX new exhaust, lowering springs, Bilsteins....oh no here I go again! Different car, same disease!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bull,
we don't need the other side of the story!...Geesh!!!
I'm sure NSX's have retained value.............and of course.......miles should never be a concern of a cars value????
and better yet.....its always great when "from what I can tell, the dealer is allowing me".......

simple rule of thumb.........how much is the car you want?.........how much is the dealer "acv"ing your trade for........(actual cash value").........what is the tax and DMV procedure in your state?....

Have you had a PPI on the nsx yet?.............if no......Why?
Old 05-23-2006, 10:56 PM
smithk993
Racer

Taking the NSX to Acura dealer tommorrow for PPI and if it passes AOK, probably have the timing belt service done first thing. One of those 8 years or 100k miles things that nobody seems to ever run out of miles before it needs doing.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you must . . . then I'd sell it on your own. But then, I'd never trade a 993 for an NSX . . . but that's just my $0.02.

Scott
Old 05-23-2006, 11:17 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fill
Bull,
we don't need the other side of the story!...Geesh!!!
I'm sure NSX's have retained value.............and of course.......miles should never be a concern of a cars value????
and better yet.....its always great when "from what I can tell, the dealer is allowing me".......

simple rule of thumb.........how much is the car you want?.........how much is the dealer "acv"ing your trade for........(actual cash value").........what is the tax and DMV procedure in your state?....

Have you had a PPI on the nsx yet?.............if no......Why?
So, somewhere in THERE is the answer to his question..."what do you think I could sell individually for in a reasonable amount of time?"
Old 05-23-2006, 11:28 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

do you get tax savings for trade in in your state? we do here in Illinois but I know that is not the case in California..

There have been many times I have traded in because it ultimately was less hassle and meant at least $1k in tax savings (traded in my Lexus SC430 for my Boxster S and got 45K value for the trade in so that was 45K I didn't pay taxes on for my $57k boxster S... got the boxster S negotiated down to $53k so that meant I only paid taxes on $8k instead of all 53K)...... so for me it was worth the trade in
Old 05-23-2006, 11:31 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by Bull
So, somewhere in THERE is the answer to his question..."what do you think I could sell individually for in a reasonable amount of time?"
nope........its like asking....whos on first?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:41 PM
smithk993
Racer

As for tax savings ... I've never heard of that in NC. Seems as the buyer always pays the sales tax on the purchase. It sounds like a great deal however.

Keith
Old 05-24-2006, 12:04 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The NSX's are pretty damn bulletproof ... it is a Honda, after all. My neighbor owns a silver 95 NSX. We haven't swapped for the day, yet, although we've spoken about it.

If it's a "true" $27k, that's very strong on a dealer trade for your car; however, it's probably really considerably less, as they probably have a lot of markup on the NSX. It's not the easiest car to sell, it appeals to a pretty narrow group. Back when I was dabbling in brokering cars I had a yellow NSX targa for the day, the power and handling were impressive, and the thing got a lot of attention, especially since I was living in Wichita KS at the time. But I couldn't quite shake the feeling that I was driving a Honda, as the interior (shifter, instruments, AC controls) was pure Honda Accord. Then again, I was driving a 1987 Porsche 930 at the time, so I was fairly spoiled.

There's a really good NSX board somewhere, that has a lot of classifieds, it will give you a pretty good idea what the "real" value of their NSX is, and you can judge from there.

I believe, however, that North Carolina does allow you to deduct the price of your trade from the purchase amount before the tax is calculated, so if, say, the NSX was $30k, you'd only pay the tax on $3k of the purchase.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:14 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by smithk993
As for tax savings ... I've never heard of that in NC. Seems as the buyer always pays the sales tax on the purchase. It sounds like a great deal however.

Keith
huh?..........you live in the state?.......and you don't understand how the tax system works?

Quick Reply: To trade or sell outright my 95? Pricing thoughts?