Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 09:48 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 223 Likes on 107 Posts
Unhappy Need HELP :-(

Hi guys,

I need help

Just washed my car, polished it etc so everything was looking like new after my weekend in Francorchamps.

Started the car and a loud noise was coming from the engine.

I discovered what is wrong

I attached a picture from another thread about the belt exploded. My belts are new BUT the thing (don't now what the name is and what it's for) that drives the belts is completly loose. I'm not talking about the fan but the thing on the downside.

I have a few questions:

What is the use of it?
How is this possible?
Can I fix it myself?
Must the engine come out to fix it?
$$$$$?
etc

Hope you guys can help me out here.

Big thanks in advance!!
Old 05-21-2006, 10:56 AM
993polarsilver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the tensioner might be loose. Will look at the manual and see what the fix is...
Old 05-21-2006, 11:03 AM
993polarsilver
Racer

Send your e-mail address to me and I'll forward a pdf of the tech manual section on tightening the tensioner. Looks like you need a special tool to measure the tension, but you might be able to get it tight enough to drive to the shop for the correct part.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:08 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Thanks!

My e-mail is delanobe@yahoo.com
Old 05-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Firren
Advanced

Looking at the inner belt (that is the belt for the actual fan). The fan rotates freely around the alternator (sometimes referred to as generator) axle, which is what the 2nd (and missing belt) is used for. I assume this is what you mean - the rearmost wheel is for the alternator and can rotate freely regardless of fan. There is a part from the RS ("RS pulley") which locks these 2 together, thereby eliminating one v-belt (using one belt to drive both fan and alternator). Loads of threads about this on this excellent forum. When my alternator belt went, I swapped to RS pulley, discovered that the alternator needed new bearings (could move the axle up-downwards and it made a funny sound when rotated freely) - and it got refurbished while I was at it and had it removed from the engine bay.

When remounting I discovered that the whole wiring harness needed a change. Funny how a small belt change can mess up 2 weeks of driving, eh?

Removing the alternator is a bit tricky due to confined space but not very hard. Should not be needed to remove the engine to fix it.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:19 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Hi Firren,

I'm not talking about the belts, they are new. The thing is that the wheel on the underside that drives those belts is completely loose. I can push it with my hands.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2006, 11:24 AM
911C2
Racer

You mean the three plleys that are together at the bottom of the pic? Moves straingt in and out or wobbles left to right?
Old 05-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Firren
Advanced

Ah yes, I must learn to read properly

The triple wheel on the bottom of the engine bay is connected to the crankshaft. Tensioning that wheel sounds a bit more tricky, to be honest. Space is pretty limited down there. How that wheel could have gotten loose is a bit beyond me?! Sorry but my belt-related adventures are limited to alternator and the belts and pulleys up on top :-(
Old 05-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are talking the black plastic rollers that is the belt sensor, only function is to make sure the fan belt is working when the engine is running. You will get a fan belt warning light if the roller is not working, or if the belt broke. The roller does not provide tension on the belt nor drives it.

If you are talking about hte big metal pulley underneath, that's the crank shaft pulley, if it is turning freely, then you are in big trouble. Need an engine drop.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:33 AM
911C2
Racer

oK I havenot yet replced belts on my car btu I have replaced other non tensioner belts. They come with a plastic piece on the belt to slip it on. One time use. You say your belts are new. Were they just installed by a shop? Good Shop? are your sure they did nti loosen that bolt to get the blet on? sounds a bit odd to me to have that bolt loosen. Any internal engine nioses on sudden acceleration. How about if you step on the clutch. Does the engine noise change?
Old 05-21-2006, 11:36 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Hi Robin,

I am indeed talking about the crank shaft pulley. How is it possible that it's loose? Maybe the bearings are worn??

Any idea what it's going to cost??

Thanks
Old 05-21-2006, 11:45 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Just checked and the shaft is ok I think. The triple metal wheel that is fixed on it is completely loose.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:14 PM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Checked again and the metal pulley is completly loose.

The shaft is fixed as it should be (I hope). How much work is it to put the pulley back were it belongs??

Thanks
Old 05-21-2006, 04:08 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a large bolt in front of the pulley that holds it in place, the problem is getting anything to fit down there to fighten it.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:12 PM
Firren
Advanced

I'm afraid this sounds a bit like you have to lower the engine to reach the bolt.

However - I am a bit interested in what could cause this to happen?!

Quick Reply: Need HELP :-(