Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
View Poll Results: Who changes their own oil?
I do my own oil changes.
64.83%
Not me. I'd rather pay somebody.
35.17%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Who changes their own oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Who changes their own oil?

Ok, the thread on oil change prices at the dealer is very interesting. But I think that a poll is in order to determine who changes their own oil and who does not. Either you do or you don't, it's that easy. I am curious to see the level of the DIY spirit here on Rennlist. I have nothing against those who have the resources to have somebody else do this task.

I love Friday nights with Leinenkugel's Red.

Last edited by Van1; 05-06-2006 at 01:09 AM.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:17 AM
scat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do.Not only to save money,but I get a kick doing it.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:23 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Van1
... I am curious to see the level of the DIY spirit here on Rennlist. I have nothing against those who have the resources to have somebody else do this task.
At least for me, this poll won't gauge either my "level of the DIY spirit" or if I have the "resources to have somebody else do" oil changes.

I've done those DIY jobs (big or small) that were within my ability, for which I had the equipment, that were reasonable given that my 993 was my daily driver & which gave me enjoyment or a sense of accomplishment. 993 oil changes are a bit of a pita without a lift, can be messy, & most important, are unrewarding for me in terms of enjoyment or the small financial savings. Hence, they're not worth my time.

If you can afford to own a 993, you can afford to pay for oil changes. I doubt those here change their own oil because they really can't afford to have it done. The decision to wallow in 10 qts of dirty oil has more to do with priorities & enjoyment, than money, IMHO.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:34 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I do my own because, well, I don't trust anyone else to do it and its a way to keep my figure on the pulse of the engine. Its important to look at the oil, check for crap, double check under the engine for problems etc.....so the only time anyone touches my car is if I can't figure out what is wrong and need help...and that does not happen very often....

I don't quite understand the comment about being messy...i have two large 12 litre oil pans and the oil changes are really easy and fast...without a lift.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-06-2006, 02:07 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"eww, all that dirty oil -- yucky! I might break a nail." LOL

I LOVE wrenching on my car, checking out everything in the process. Also I HATE paying someone big $$ to do a basic job, and have it screwed up (over-filled, over-tightened, or washers left off).

The part I don't like, where I spend too much time, is getting it up on jack stands. And I'm scared to death when under a car on jack stands here in 'quake country. I'm investing in a $35 set of ramps from Walmart to solve that problem.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:36 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup. I change my own oil, spark plugs, distributor caps/rotors, and I just finished flushing my SAI ports with a buddy of mine. It seems the more you do, the more confident you feel in doing more.

I do a lot of my own work but it not because I can't afford to pay for the service, but I think we are sometimes getting ripped off with paying a premium price for not so difficult work on our cars. Basically I all started working on my car because of these inflated prices and because I also don't trust a lot of shops either. I've seen too many people get taken advantage of when it comes to car work.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:44 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I need to start doing it. Just need to find a place that recycles the oil.

Cool post 993...
Old 05-06-2006, 04:13 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do, because for certain things I only trust myself. Chris
Old 05-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by STLPCA
At least for me, this poll won't gauge either my "level of the DIY spirit" or if I have the "resources to have somebody else do" oil changes.

I've done those DIY jobs (big or small) that were within my ability, for which I had the equipment, that were reasonable given that my 993 was my daily driver & which gave me enjoyment or a sense of accomplishment. 993 oil changes are a bit of a pita without a lift, can be messy, & most important, are unrewarding for me in terms of enjoyment or the small financial savings. Hence, they're not worth my time.

If you can afford to own a 993, you can afford to pay for oil changes. I doubt those here change their own oil because they really can't afford to have it done. The decision to wallow in 10 qts of dirty oil has more to do with priorities & enjoyment, than money, IMHO.
Dan, I agree with you. Maybe I didn't choose my wording wisely as I didn't intend this to be a poll of who can afford to pay to have it done vs those who can't afford it. Just a simple yes or no poll. Although nothing can be so simple. While maybe a pita, I like to change my own oil for many of the reasons stated already. I find it a fairly easy job and not that messy if you are slow and careful. It gives me the chance to get under the car and inspect everything. Plus, I know the job is going to get done right because nobody cares more about my car than me. Sure, I can afford to pay the $129 for an oil change as discussed in the other recent oil change thread (which is actually a very fair price). But I'd rather pay the $70 in materials, do the job myself and justify a nice bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon with the money saved (or several bottles for those that are paying north of $200). I don't put a dollar figure on my time because it's all a hobby for me.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:51 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't changed my own ... yet ... but I think I'll probably tackle it this fall.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Tundra and the Charger go to the dealers. The P-Car and I have a closer relationship. The oil is the window into the soul of the car. I am most happy when the oil has seasoned slightly, a toasted marshmallow brown. I have never had black oil! I enjoy the rejuvenation process, filling her with fresh oil.

How many mixed metaphors is that?
Old 05-06-2006, 10:10 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

I plan to do my first one next week. From what I have seen and heard, it's not that difficult, plus I enjoy doing these type of things.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:46 AM
BlackCar
Instructor

I do my own because I want to know: it was done correctly, filled properly but not overfilled (after running the car to operating temperature and checking levels) that M1 15/50 was used, that they wiped up the drips and mess off heat exchangers and the engine, and that both filters were changed. What I don't like is the fact that this car is so much more difficult to change than my 89 Carrera (one plug and 1 filter and no body panels or heater tubes to remove), and the mess of 10 quarts of dirty oil.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:25 AM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

I change the oil on every piece of machinery that i have. Boat, tractor, cars,lawnmower. I guess its kind of a hobby but it 'also brings piece of mind that it's done right. Today I'll tackle the subaru.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:27 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joe S.
I think I need to start doing it. Just need to find a place that recycles the oil.

Cool post 993...
Joe, most auto parts stores & service centers will accept used oil. I take mine to the service bay at the local Pep Boys.

For the reasons stated above, I enjoy the wrenching the car & knowing it's done right. Saves a lot of time & hassle as well - and the money saved goes to the "mod fund"

Quick Reply: Who changes their own oil?