993 Forum 1995-1998

baby seat saga - Britax Star Riser discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 04:00 AM
mtrain
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default baby seat saga - Britax Star Riser discontinued

The current baby seat I have installed (another Britax model) sits snugly in the back seat 'wells" but is a little too high, which occupies what someone here has described as the "airspace" behind the front seat. This is leaving my rapidly growing 16mth old with little/no legroom.

Searches on this topic almost uniformly recommend the Britax Star Riser, but this is actually a discontinued model and there is no obvious replacement to be found on he Britax website.

Does anyone have any suggestions of currently available babyseats which are suitable for +16mth for the back of my Targa (which has slightly less headroom than the coupe I think)?

cheers

PS I confess I stupidly bought a Britax Elite today from a shop which warns you to "fit before you buy". This Britax fit perfectly, sat low, leaving heaps of legroom for No.1 BUT I didnt realise that the 993 rear seatbelts are not long enough to secure it. If you can imagine installing it on the left rear, then you need to thread the belt over the left "shoulder" of the seat, in a slot at the rear left, out the right rear, then over he left "hip" of the baby chair - equivalent to a 300pd front rower sitting in the back seat which was not considered a probability when these cars were designed!!!

I would throw this all in the too hard basket but some things in life you cant go cheap on.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:26 AM
LuftKopf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they're still out there, but you have to hunt them down (thx again Google):

got 2 here a month ago in col blue: http://carseats.babycatalog.com/carseat-booster.html
shipped fast though not sure if int'l orders accepted. email them.
christened them this weekend and the kids had a blast.

you should lose the illusion that *any* car seat will come with a luxury of space, the seats fit easily, but your kids will never have anything close to "space". also be aware that use of these should start at around 40 lbs.

good luck!
Old 04-16-2006, 07:10 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In my opinion the car seat thing is a little overblown. The only way to protect your kid from getting hurt in an auto accident is to not leave the house. Maybe we need to install 6 point racing harnesses, full roll cages and require all children to wear nomex racing suits and SNELL approved helmets.

That being said the Birtax seats were the best thing for keeping the kid in her seat. It was a sure thing that it would be discontinued because it was practicle, hassle free and it worked.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:28 AM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had success with Cosco Ventura on sale at Wal-mart $44.00... It fits into the rear seat of a 993 perfectly, with a very narrow lower profile.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:01 AM
aron in toronto
Pro

Britax "Bodyguard" looks like it may be an updated "StarRiser" with deeper bolsters. I’ve been thinking of picking one up as a spare so I don't need to shuffle seats from one car to another. They also have a cover in "racer" pattern that looks Porsche appropriate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Britax-2005-Body...QQcmdZViewItem

No affiliate with seller, Yada Yada

Aron
Old 04-17-2006, 11:56 AM
LuftKopf
Pro

Heard that the Bodyguard is a little wide to seat firmly on 911s (also, as below from searchable post)

Super D
Addict
Rennlist Member

I use a Britax Bodyguard booster in the back of my cab with no problem.

Uh-oh...I just got the Bodyguard booster, tried to buckle it in and just buckling it with no kiddy in there it's at the end of the belt slack--so it ratchets and I can't adjust the tension of the belt looser to get my son in. And it's too wide to fit in all the way.

Help! What did you do to make it work?

I don't know the width of the Star Riser base, but this Bodyguard base is too wide to fit all the way back and between the lap belt anchors. The only way to get it in somewhat is at an angle which isn't in contact with the lower seat back "pocket". And if it's not at an angle, it's wedged partially between the lap belt anchors and also not solidly in the pocket. I tried to adjust the base narrower, but it's on it's narrowests setting.

So far, I can't see how this one will work, but maybe I'm missing something?
Last edited by Super D : 05-21-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:41 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone found a booster that works? I tried a couple different models that dont fit well at all. One time, I had to pull over cause my son slid down between the front and rear seats and was being choked by the chest belt. Ive given up and now dont use anything. My 2 and 5 year old fit very snug in the rear seats (left to right) and very low as well. Never mind that I think they are safer without a booster, Im sure I would get a ticket without anything....

Please - someone help me from the guilt of not putting my kids in anything.... I bought the 993 so I could take kids with me!
Old 04-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto on tj90's issue. I need a booster for my 5-year old that fits!
Old 04-17-2006, 05:13 PM
LuftKopf
Pro

get this one, a covering you can tolerate: colonial blue is entirely subtle.

http://carseats.babycatalog.com/boos...eat/17105.html
Old 04-17-2006, 06:13 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Back about 10-15 years ago, boosters were just foam blocks. Im tempted to fab up a thin one, glue a fabric cover in place to where it conforms with the seat bottom. That way I know that the chest belt is in the right place on my children and the foam block will keep the cops happy. The kids will still be secure and the car restraints will be used in the even of an accident. Has anyone tried that approach?

The only concern is neck protection (whiplash) with just a foam base....

Has anyone confirmed that the Britax back portion fits? The other full-bodied booster we had kept hitting hte rear glass...
Old 04-17-2006, 06:17 PM
LuftKopf
Pro

Hmmm. I have a cab, so don't know. (hopefully getting a coupe later this week, so can let you know! ;-)
Old 04-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

The back portion of the starriser comfy fits in my cab.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:25 AM
98_993_cab
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto x 2...

Quick Reply: baby seat saga - Britax Star Riser discontinued