Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install of New FVD 340mm Steering Wheel for a Friend, w/Photos and Story!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Install of New FVD 340mm Steering Wheel for a Friend, w/Photos and Story!!

Tony (Air Kuul TT) came by and we installed a new steering wheel in his 993TT. That is one beautiful car.

I have installed several wheels and feel comfortable doing it, so I figured Tony's would be a piece of cake. Wrong! First problem, the instructions were all in German. And to make matters worst, there were no photos or diagrams in the instructions. Normally, this is not a problem. But the horn hook up on this wheel was something that I have never seen before. Between the two of us, and some trial and error, we figured it out.

The next problem was that my Torx T-30 screwdriver was too long to reattach the new air bag. No problem. A run to the local Do-It Center to buy a shorter one or a socket. Wrong! Something about Easter caused all the local stores to be closed. Who would have thought? Fortunately, a local bike shop owner was stripping his floors and even though he was closed he was nice enough to loan me a tool. (Helps when you had just bought a $3000 bike from him).

Once the install was complete a test drive revealed that the wheel was not centered properly. This only happens 100% of the time when I install a wheel so it was no surprise. After a readjustment, we're done. What a nice looking and feeling wheel!! I mean really really nice feeling. Damn, I may have to buy my fifth wheel!!

AND...for my efforts, Tony rewarded me with a beautiful Copper colored stainless steel travel mug with a Porsche emblem on it!! Thanks, Tony!!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

SIZE COMPARISON:

ONE NICE LOOKING CAR!!

NEW MUG:

Last edited by Chuck W.; 04-16-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck,

Wow.... first of all I love your property, horses, chicken and the pig.

Thanks a million for your help... errr I mean for installing my new SW for me without your experience on swapping SW I think we would still be sitting there trying to read German...LOL.

The cab is looking great and let me know if you figure out the fog light bulbs situation.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:05 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I change steering wheels it feels like a whole new car! Good job, it looks great!
FVD is only a couple of miles from me and I stop there quite a bit. Next time I'm gonna check out the wheels. Chris
Old 04-16-2006, 06:16 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Chuck--nice of you to do this-- great work!! I hope to get the chance to meet you and Tony soon! Great people!!
Old 04-16-2006, 06:50 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tony, what are you doing with the 3 spoke factory wheel?
Old 04-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Hey Chris,

I'm going to keep it for now... until the CFO tells me otherwise. I have a sickness... 2 set of Hollows (996 & 993), Turbo tail, tires, on and on....
Old 04-17-2006, 08:16 PM
993inNC
Race Car

LOL....yeah me too. Ya know sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better to be broke like when I was younger that way I wouldn't have the issue of how many of this and that I want/need, I couldn't afford it so the issues would be moot

BUT....then the back garage door opens..........NA, life is good the way it is!

Keep me in mind if you decide to let it go
Old 04-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chuck W. is a great guy who has helped out a lot of us RLers. Here's to Chuck!
Old 04-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by Father of 3
Chuck W. is a great guy who has helped out a lot of us RLers. Here's to Chuck!
X2... He has such an awesome place with lots of space. Thanks again Chuck.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:00 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Hey Chuck -

Just saw this thread here on RL . . . again, I'm really bummed I couldn't make it over Sunday morning. Anyway . . . I'd tell you that you can be assured that Tony really appreciated your help . . . but I have a feeling you already know that. You know . . . I have a feeling something good is coming your way . . . that ol' karma thing.

Talk to you soon.

Scott

Quick Reply: Install of New FVD 340mm Steering Wheel for a Friend, w/Photos and Story!!