Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi Q7 is enticing...
Old 03-21-2006, 10:58 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
I would not even consider the SUV. There is little value to the extra hardware that never gets used (how many go four wheeling in canyons?) and their safety records are poor.

I don't like mini-vans, but vehicles like the Honda Odyssey are a far cry better if you must have the extra room.

I test drove a Audi A3 with the DSG and was really amazed. That may be too small, but you might also consider the Subaru Forrester, which has more room than the A3 and what is most important - it has a Boxer Engine! The Forrester is more car like than SUVs.

However, you can't go wrong with Honda. Great vehicle and outstanding boredom for the money. My friend calls his the Honda Souless.
I will second that on the Forester. I mentioned the Mountain Porsche before and they are very popular in Utah. Living in UT, AWD and 4WD is something I would never be without. Those who live on a mountain would agree. All 3 of my vehicles are either AWD (C4/96 Ford Explorer XLT) or 4WD (77 Ford Bronco Sport)

Personally, I would never purchase a minivan and thats just me. My lifestyle has SUV written all over it. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:16 PM
texas911
Race Car

You won't really need 4WD for a minivan, front wheel drive is very safe and all Honda Odysseys come with ESP, Traction Contorl, and Brake Assist standard. Plus it already gets 4 star ratings for every crash test its been tested. We tested the Sienna but its way to Buick in ride. Very soft and floaty, the Ody drives like a sedan.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Jonathan...

Can't really help you here... alot of good points about the MV have been brought up here so hard to argue. I am in the same boat as you are.... actually in the process of switching my wife from her ML 430 to the new YUKON or ESCALADE. If you are looking at the new Sequoia... they're really nice but if you are looking to purchase the earlier years... not that great (2000-2003).

It has already been mentioned but you might check out the new MBZ R cla$$. Good Luck!
Old 03-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

BTW, they do have lowering springs for the HONDA ODYSSEY.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:34 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradford
Have you looked at the R-Class Mercedes, half mini van half wagon. Pretty nice, check one out.
Mercedes is offering about $10k in incentives on the new R-class which puts it in the same price range as the Honda. Definitely check it out.

We have the large SUV and regret it. Lincoln Navigator. First one was a lemon and after a year of broken A/C in AZ, got another one. Works very well, but gets 11 MPG on Premium! I tell you, it really adds up. But with three kids in car seats, you need something big. The wife said "no Van", so no van. We both like the Mercedes, but would take beating on trading the Lincoln as the SUV market has dumped.

Just my thoughts.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:01 AM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Also a heads-up. the US made Benz GL is coming. http://www.mbusa.com/models/future/glclass/index.do
Old 03-22-2006, 12:18 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

thanks everyone, all great points... here are some things that my wife and I HAVE both agreed on ---

1) we wont buy an American-made model, we just have always had bad luck... I am as red-blooded American as they come, but we simply cant make a vehicle as reliable as the Japanese (in my opinion)

2) we lean towards Honda, Toyota, Lexus because of the bullet-proof reliability and reasonably strong residual... something like a MB would scare if I planned on keeping it out of warranty, a Japanese vehicle wouldnt....whatever we buy will also be brand new

3) not interested in sedans or station wagons... even though a minivan or suv is overkill with only one kid, we plan to have a couple more and whatever we buy we plan to keep for 5-7 yrs and grow into it...thus no lease, we are purchasing

So having said all that, I keep coming back to Toyota and Lexus...and trying to find a way out of the minivan purchase... however, there have been some very compelling arguments made here why it is not such a bad thing... I have a lot of shopping to do this weekend....
Old 03-22-2006, 12:36 AM
Paulsha911
Racer

If I must buy a mini van, Odyssey would be the way to go. I have never been impressed by the workmanship of the late models Toyota. Lexus is overpriced, IMHO. Honda has great resale too. I drove a S2K for 2 years, and lost less than $2K. That's why they call it S2K, I guess.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:46 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I'm not a fan of mini-vans (But I do have an S6 wagon and don't even have kids!), it's too bad Honda doesn't make this Oddyssey available in the US (this is the version available in Hong Kong). I also think the Mercedes R Class would be a great "mini-van"...esp the AMG version
Attached Images   
Old 03-22-2006, 09:11 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by pegasis0066
Can you say "mini van"... isn't that enough?

Rob

ps. Wife wanted to replace her Lexus RX300 (wanted 8 person seating!) so we drove the Sequoia (albeit a few years back). Wasn't "refined" enough for her... so busted the bank on the Lexus GX470... she loves it (and she should based on the price).

Rob again
Toyota LC (Landcruiser) or Lexus GX470...is the way to car... ....built in tow car.....
Old 03-22-2006, 09:34 AM
luv2ride
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jonathan,

I have a 04 Mitsubishi Montero Full Size. Seats 7. I also had an old 94 FS that Seats 7 w/ over 240k on it and sold it to my friend and he is still driving the thing. You can't kill it. Oh and also they get great gas mileage. An old or new one is worth a look and not that much money. There is a reason why mitsu has won so many Dakar rally's. I only like there Montero and I can tell ya from experience that they are certainly bulletproof. Good Luck.

Ryan
Old 03-22-2006, 09:38 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Though I can't read the entire thread right now, I will put in a vote for the Odyssey. We have over 100k miles, and zero problems. It is very comfortable for long trips (we drive to Maine, Canada, MA, and Florida every year from NC), and it is safe. Though in-town mileage is around 18, highway mileage is 25-30, depending on load and speed. If I drive 65 (if....) with 4 people and a FULL load I will get 30 mpg on the HWY. It is also low emissions.

BTW, just put on some yokohamas, and they are the best tires for this minivan so far, by FAR.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:02 AM
texas911
Race Car

Are people so insecure that they will not drive a minivan? Wow!
Old 03-22-2006, 11:12 AM
hotrdd911
Instructor

After reading all of the posts about wife’s and GF not liking our 993's I'd have to say that if there was a mini-van that you did like, she wouldn't. THATS LIFE.

I currently have a Trail Blazer in the fleet and even though I love the 4x4 I can't get anything into it. The minute you get the nice ride height you lose the storage space. The next vehicle will be a mini-van.

Quick Reply: OT: Help Me Stay Out of a MiniVan