993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Help Me Stay Out of a MiniVan

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 01:51 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dad has the old RX300 for 125k miles. No problems, comfy and quet. Doesn't hold nealy as much as an Odyssey, but a great car for long trips for 2 people with a moderate amount of stuff.

Sorry, no experienc wiht the hybrid. I am rather disappointed about the mileage, however. The new Camry hybrid seems to do much better. Obviously, different car....
Old 03-29-2006, 02:21 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradford
Also late to the party here but has anyone owned (sorry if this has been discussed already) the Lexus RX Hybrid or the Toyota Highlander Hybrid? Just curious what the impressions were of those 2 smaller SUV's.
Scott,

It was great meeting you during Euro-Sunday.

My in-law has a Highlander Hybrid. Excellent vehicle. Two issues:

Gas Mileage: combined at 28-29 MPG. Freeway is actually the same. My Rx330 gets 22-23 average, and 25+ freeway. So as far as economy, that is not necessarily a winner. But compared to what other SUVs do (it takes a V8 to deliver that torque on the hybrid), then you're actually talking 18 mpg or so (that would be kind) average. Then the hybrid is significantly better. The minimal emission is the reason why I'd buy the Sienna AWD hybrid. That MV is supposed to be out in 06 as an 07 model.

Range: He seems to have a glitch somewhere that if he runs the tank below 1/2 tank, all kinds of things go wrong with his Highlander. That effectivelly gives him just a 10 gallon tank. The dealers tried many times and could not cure it. I have not researched and see if his is a unique case, or it is a common issue. I would NOT buy the car if that is a normal thing.

Hopes this helps.

CP

Last edited by CP; 04-08-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:50 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey CP,

Great to see you and Melissa. You are quite the trooper making that long drive. Love your car, don't ever get rid of it!

Kids are grown and if I mention mini van to the wife I get that stare that tells me.....no way!

Thanks for the info on the Highlander, I hope that is not a normal issue with the gas tank. The Hybrids just seem to be the future for daily driving needs, especially here with city driving and $3.00 per gallon gas. Bought her a 2006, 330i and it is too small, she needs something with a little cargo room.

Hope to see you at the rumble if it happens.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:57 PM
CP
Race Director

Scott,

Thanks for your kind words. You have a beauty yourself.

I believe the Rumble will happen (4-22-06 in Cambria area), and I will be there. Melissa will not join as she will be in Oregon.

In fact, I am continuing down to Irvine for 2 more days (work-related) so I will for sure be there. Would love to have more time to chit-chat.

CP
Old 04-08-2006, 12:38 PM
CP
Race Director

So Jonathan,

Any update on your/her decision?

CP

Quick Reply: OT: Help Me Stay Out of a MiniVan