Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

On a Whim- would you own a DeLorean?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 02:16 AM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Indeed. I think they dropped their import/domestic distinction awhile ago.

Incidentally, a fact that probably interests only me is that DeLorean Motor Company was indeed incorporated in Michigan:

And the MT article says nothing about why the car is considered an import; the fact that it arrived here on a boat was probably sufficient.

Man, I love the internets.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:59 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isnt there a factory in Texas that got all the parts left over and is restoring/remaking the Delorean now?? Apparently they are fixing them up to be better than the originals with some modern parts, etc... There is quite a support group for them. I know there is a mechanic locally that takes them. Ive also seen a few in the area.

As far as doors go, i'll take a Lambo with scissors before a Delorean, but its still a neat car.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:40 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually see the Delorean as a big 'cruiser' and not necessarily a 'sports car' but a 'sporty car' and most definately gets attention whereever it goes (lots of smiles mostly). Its just one of those cars that everyone identifies with 'Back to the Future' MORE than the whole 'drug thing' IMHO (...but that is just my viewpoint I guess)..

I could probably put you in touch with someone here local to me who is very into them and last time I heard, owns 8 of them himself (I think I could find him on the 'net easily enough but have not spoken with him for years... ...I think if you contacted him out of nowwhere asking him Delorean questions, he would talk your ear off about them because they seemed to be his life and I doubt little has changed now. You are welcome to search for yourself. His name is Rich Weissensel and last I knew, he still lives in Illinois and is very active in the Delorean world.

Quick Reply: On a Whim- would you own a DeLorean?