Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

My blinker noise is too quiet....

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 08:14 PM
cladd
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My blinker noise is too quiet....

always has been. Sometimes I'm one of those anoying people with a blinker on for no reason. Anyone else bothered?
Old 03-12-2006, 08:52 PM
JSA993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,
I'm in the same boat, bothered and sometimes irritated; however, I've been too lazy so far to do anything about it. I would think we could change flashers and resolve this issue. I spent seventeen years in the automotive aftermarket and remember "louder" flashers are available. Hopefully someone makes one for our cars. Funny thing, I don't remember my '87' '90, or '95 being so quiet.

Jeff
Old 03-12-2006, 08:57 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Blinker Fluid issue. No doubt

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/funstuff/a/aa040101a.htm

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...1f9f49efd96b68

And a handy DIY
http://www.geocities.com/changeyourb...kerfluid1.html
Old 03-12-2006, 08:58 PM
gjtrek
Instructor

Hey Chris: About three weeks ago I was thinking about starting a thread on this very subject, but was apprehensive that it was such a minor issue no one would respond. Well congrats on your bold foray into this significant issue. It's not an issue at night when one can see the blinking arrow on the dash. But the arrow is practically impossible to see it during the day and the "audible click" we have grown accustom to in our lesser modes of transportation is somewhere in the range of a dogs hearing but not mine.

Maybe someone knows if you can swap out the turn signal relay in favor of a noiser one? I think it is bad enough that Porsche made the exhaust note quiet, but the turn signal relay, really, that's a bit much!!

This has to be a near universal phenomenon!!

So what does the board say on quiet issue??

Regards, Gary
Old 03-12-2006, 09:01 PM
gjtrek
Instructor

Hi Bob: The kalecoauto site is wonderful. Just the other day I ordered up a set of cross drilled brake hoses to go with the rotors!! Saving up for the Power Band!!

ciao, gary
Old 03-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to suffer from this same problem before I really thought about the solution. When you initiate the turn signal, start chanting your ex-wife's name (any of them will do). You will find that you will want to shut that sucker off at the earliest possible time! As a variation on this theme, for those who are unable to chant that particular name, just chant Bitch over and over until you shut the blinker off.

In all fairness, a warning....if you do this regularly, remember that the simple changing of a traffic signal from red to green may cause you to appear to suffer from Tourette's syndrome!
Old 03-13-2006, 12:33 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The blinker is located in the front sorage compartment, making it hard to hear inside the car. You could probably move it inside the dashboard, where it would be more audible.

Of course if you did like I did and added the drilled air cleaner cover and RSR mufflers, maybe a custom big flashing light would be better.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:59 AM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer a quiet blinker. But then I'm easily annoyed.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob you're a hoot. Those links are frightening. I can see some numb-knut draining his oil and adding this fluid.

I had a friend once who drained the oil out of the transfer case of his Chevy Blazer, then added six quarts of motor oil to the sump. Came over to my garage and asked me if I could tell him why it was smoking.

oh yeah...on topic...yeah the damn blinkers are too quiet...specially once you get Robin's mufflers on.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:04 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

There was enough sound wisdom being provided already so a little levity is not a bad thing. Of course Steve (Mr RUF, OFE) has already contacted Wayne at RUF to see if there is a special magical blinker elixir for his car....

Quick Reply: My blinker noise is too quiet....