Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratched front bumper's lip. Repairable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scratched front bumper's lip. Repairable?

I have curb scratches in both my splitters and front bumper's lip...my car's previous owner probably was not very careful with the curb. Anyway, is it possible to sand and paint just like a metal part? It might be a stupid question but I don't understand much about body repair. Although almost impossible to see, I'd like to have it perfect...on the other hand, a Turbo bumper from Carnewal is another option!
Thanks in advance for the feedback...
Old 03-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes it is very much repairable. The repair and paint is easy, hard part is paint matching. But you shouldn't have that problem withe fridge white... :P
Old 03-13-2006, 03:35 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Easily repairable and if you don't feel comfortable taking on the task yourself you can always look into a mobile paint operation that could easily take care of something like that instead of going to a major body/paint shop for the repair.

Last edited by TYNUSKT; 03-13-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro356C
I have curb scratches in both my splitters and front bumper's lip.
I had the same problem. Fixed easily by removing the old bumper and installing freshly painted turbo bumper...
Old 03-13-2006, 05:12 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

First things first
tynuskt,
nice avatar

Robin
Which fridge white? My car now has 5 different shades of white on it. GE, Westinghouse, Amana, Hotpoint and Frigidaire.

Pedro356C
If the scratches ar into the plastic, I'd think it was time for a turbo nose.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think "Mile" white is more appropriate.... :P

Funny story about white paint....

Several years back my best friend Hank Cohn had a little incident with his GT3 supercup race car and asked me to paint his front hood.

So everything was going well, just going over the final coat when Hank sprayed water right on the hood and left lots water bubble on the new fresh paint. (He had control of the water hose as I asked him to spray down the garage to keep the dust level down while I was painting)

I told them that I want to repaint the hood to get rid of the bubble, and he said he doesn't care as long as it looks ok going 150 mph on the track... So I reluctantly accepted his acceptance and let it go...

Sure enough the next track event someone asked Hank "Who the hell painted your hood?" ......when I heard that I was looking for a hole to hide......

Old 03-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many thanks for the kind feedback...I'll stop by Sears and get a gallon of the Kenmore white!
Matching paint will not be a problem as the scratches are underneath the nose...the only problem is the plastic being really "shaved"...it would take a lot of sanding to make the plastic smooth again for the paint...

I'm really tempted by the Turbo nose but my purist side is feeling guilty...and with the Turbo nose...air ducts or new fog lights?

Thanks again for the kind help and feedback...

Quick Reply: Scratched front bumper's lip. Repairable?