Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Will 17" rims and tires fit INSIDE my car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Will 17" rims and tires fit INSIDE my car?

I just dropped off a set of cup rims to get tires installed. The rims in the boxes were a tight fit. Any of you know if I can fit a set of 17" rims with tires in my car?

Ultimately I'm wondering if I can get a set of track tires in my car, or will I have to install and drive to the track on them?

I vaguely recollect some track guys fitting them, but I'm not exactly sure how they fit all 4. 3 yes, but it's the 4th I'm wondering about.

Any clues guys/gals?
Old 03-03-2006, 03:22 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buddy of mine that raced couldn't do it...maybe if you took the spare out?
Old 03-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Two fronts in the rear seats, one or two in the pax, one in the boot?

It's very messy though - when you take them off they'll be covered in brake dust and good. Some use a roof rack, I'll be making a tire trailer. But until then, I'll just drive to the track in them (DOT-R's).
Old 03-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't fit even the rims in my boot, but I have AWD.

The rim alone (no tires) is tricky getting it thru the door/seat opening into the back seat. I can't imagine what it'd be like with tires. The front seat can obviously take one rim/tire no prob. I doubt that you can fit two in the front.

Don is right about the messiness. My wife had a flat and she had to put a 18" Turbo Twist with 285 on the front seat. Brake dust all over! You need to hose it down and then dry it good before attempting entry... or get those large plastic bags...

Here is an interesting idea from a local Boxster guy. He made this rack himself.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a targa, so I can put into the car via the LARGE trap door on top. The messiness is no big deal, as I plan to put them in garbage bags. The rim won't fit in the front boot, so no way with a tire. Although I will have to try w/o the spare...good idea!!

Can't do a roof rack because of the targa top. I have a bike rack on the back...maybe I could mount one on there!! Ha!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Jim
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've heard it "can be done" but you have to take out the passenger seat completely, and drive with 4 loose tires/wheels in the car to the track. Not worth it, IMHO, in the example of a quick emergency lane change is required, and the tire decides to do some shifting for you as it flies across into your lap. Drive to the track on the DOT Rs, it will scrub them in a little.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Adrienne, you need to get huge garbage bags. Regular lawn bags are too small for the tires/wheels... ask me how I know!

Trending Topics

Old 03-03-2006, 06:36 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suspect that the only way is if you take the passenger seat out.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:18 PM
jlb_94611
Rennlist Member

You can get the big tire bags from the Big-O guys! Probably all you need is a big smile! (+:
Old 03-03-2006, 07:43 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember a guy who used to drive his pretty yellow 77' 911 targa to races and DE's with the tires in the car and mount them up at the track. On the first friday's practice at Button Willow in Sept. 97', he came over the little hill on the long track, lifted and rolled his car.
He sat around for two days moping and finally got a rollback to pick him and his car up and take them home, from what I remember the towing costs alone were over $500.00.

Moral of the story is, "If you're going to track drive your car, come prepared to drag it on a trailer and get it home" or it could be "If you're not prepared to write it and yourself off, maybe racing is not for you"

Don't try to save $'s by carrying your tires in the car, get a used open trailer and put the race tires in the back of the pick up or SUV that you will use as a tow vehicle and sleep better at weekend track events.

My 02c....................ZP44
Old 03-04-2006, 01:58 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

While I know four tires will not fit inside, especially with a passenger seat, I wouldnt try it purely from a safety standpoint. You definitely dont want a lap full of tires after an evasive manuever.

Mount up a set of Kuhmo's and drive them to the track

Sounds as though you are getting into the track driving thing......... bless your heart

Quick Reply: Will 17" rims and tires fit INSIDE my car?