Sponsored by:

Techron bad for platinum sparkplugs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Techron bad for platinum sparkplugs?

Has anyone ever heard of Techron being bad for platinum sparkplugs? First I have ever heard of this was yesterday from the guy at the auto parts store. He said caused some kind of reddish build up on the plug???

Were the original plugs in the 993 platinum, I don’t think they are, or is anyone using platinum plugs in their 993?
Old 02-27-2006, 06:03 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont think there are platinum plugs available for 993's? at least not by Bosch.

I'm pretty sure all 993's came form the factory with Bosch Super/DPO that feature a copper core and nickle coated jacket & side electrode. This is what's in my car, but unfortunately I don't have the part # at hand, sorry.

I also have never heard that Techron causes any kind of fouling on any kind of plugs. I only fill my car with Chevron 91 oct w/ techron and have never seen what you described.

ZP44

Last edited by ZombiePorsche44; 02-27-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I use Chevron all the time as well. I guess I don't have to worry so much about the 993 as I do my Tahoe. I know the Tahoe has platinum plugs in it which are suppose to last 100k miles. I had them changed at 50k under warranty do to some other issues with clogged fuel injectors and they looked pretty bad. I'll have to pull them out and see what they look like now.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:32 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the 100,000mi platinums in my F-150 that have never been out, but the truck only has 58,000 and wasn't due.
Think I'll pop them out this weekend just to see what's up and let you know.
ZP44
Old 02-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool, thanks!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have used it on my old '84 Carrera (120K miles) and '98 Audi A4 (110K miles), and had no problems. Actually, Audi had a bit of a stumble that was gone (eliminated?) by the Techron addition (I use Sunoco 93/94 so would add a can 2-3 times a year).

Thought that Techron was the only fuel additive blessed by Porsche.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:50 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Calvo
Thought that Techron was the only fuel additive blessed by Porsche.
I've heard the same thing but when I try to locate the source of the "recommendation" I come up empty handed. Any chance you happen know if this was recommended in a TSB or dealer memo, etc? I would really like to find the source.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:48 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Didnt some mention platinum plugs were not recommended for our beloved 993's? I seem to recall this from a long time back???
Old 02-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

I've heard the same thing but when I try to locate the source of the "recommendation" I come up empty handed. Any chance you happen know if this was recommended in a TSB or dealer memo, etc? I would really like to find the source.
Don't trust me, eh?

Don't readily have the source; believe it was an old "Panorama" article written by Bruce Anderson. Sorry; I'm not spending hours digging in all my old documents just to satisfy you.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:21 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray Calvo
Don't readily have the source; believe it was an old "Panorama" article written by Bruce Anderson.
Thanks, I will keep a look out for it as I read through the "Up-Fixin der Porsche" series.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:32 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just found this...does it help

Porsche originally came out with bulletin number 8510 "Cleaning of Fuel Injectors" on December 6, 1985. This bulletin recommended adding 20 ounces of "Techron" to a full gas tank and refilling the tank at half empty with fresh gas. This should then be done 2 additional times. Your are not to use more than 20 ounces of "Techron" within 3000 miles. Then add the "Techron" to every 5th filling of the car.

Porsche still recommends that fuel injectors be cleaned similar to this with a high quality fuel injector cleaner. At the time when this came out many of the gas companies only put cleaners in their top of the line fuels. These lower octane fuels such as the 87 and 89 would start to gum up the injectors and valves fairly quickly. Although most of all the fuel grades have cleaners in them now we are faced with other problems. These being the tightening of the emissions controls of the automobiles. Any deviations in the combustion of the fuel will cause a response buy the DME. These responses can be the retardation of the timing, leaning of the fuel systems and other basic mapping characteristics. All of which means the loss of power. So always use a high grade gas and use a high quality fuel cleaner when used. Preventative maintenance is always better for you and your Porsche.

Scott Slauson - PCA WebSite - 12/1/2004
Old 03-01-2006, 10:49 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting that they specify the exact usage etc......by the way I found the above posting by Scott on the PCA website.....I cannot find the speciifc doc referenced but somebody else may be able to find it and post
Old 03-02-2006, 12:21 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhicks
Interesting that they specify the exact usage etc......
That's what I was wondering, in other threads Techron is being sold as a cure-all and my own (limited) experience was the exact opposite. Thank you for finding the source, I will try and get my hands on the TSB.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:38 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

I now have a copy of the TSB;

Subject: Cleaning of Fuel Injectors
Model 911, 928S, 944, 944 Turbo

Group 2
Part Identifier 2440
Number 8510

December 6, 1985

Partially restricted fuel injectors can be cleaned through the following procedure and material:
  1. Fill up fuel tank.
  2. Pour 20 ounces of "Techron" into the fuel tank.
  3. The car should be driven until the fuel tank is half empty.
  4. Refill the fuel tank.
  5. This procedure, as outlined from point 1 to 4 should then be repeated 2 additional times.
  6. To keep injectors clean; we recommend adding 20 ounces of Techron after 5 fuel tank refills. However, never more than 20 ounces per 3,000 miles.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:02 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Platinum and Irridum plugs are available for the 993 engines from NGK and Denso. These metals allow for a smaller electrode (down to .4mm from 2.5mm) which requires less ignition energy and therefore is a more efficient plug than the standard large electrode nickle plug. Since the 993 ignition system is weak to begin with, these plugs can be better than the stock plugs provided they are selected properly. If the proper heat range is run, then the plug will run hot enough to burn off deposits including techron. The factory plugs have 3 ground straps and are really antifouling plugs and not performance plugs and Porsche has a history of installing plugs that are too cold into their engines. Asking your local autoparts store for advice on spark plugs is like asking McDonalds for advice on prime rib...unless of course you want to know how the latest muffler bearing can help put bling in your ride.

Quick Reply: Techron bad for platinum sparkplugs?