Sponsored by:

Ticket for no front plate in California

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 08:34 PM
djordan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticket for no front plate in California

The CHP is handing out lots of tickets for no front plate. $60.00 and must bring in to show it is now on. They say they are enforcing the law due to 9/11 but I believe it is due to the increase in photo tickets. I have two neighbors that got tickets last week alone!

I got a great bracket from this guy on ebay. Had trouble getting the screws to stay in so I used zip ties and it holds tight. I also bought his cup holder which is the best out there. (No relation, I just like his products.)

Ebay item 8037259850
Old 02-14-2006, 09:10 PM
mborkow
Drifting

damn it. i don't even have a front plate (the car didn't have one when i got it).
Old 02-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking We can fix photo-radar for you....

My cousin bought a new Boxster...he lives in W. New York. One day he decided to blow through a NY Thtoughway toll both to see if the stuff mentioned in the web siteb below really works...much to his dismay; he got a ticket in the mail. With the ticket they send you the pic of your car, and indeed, using the Photoblocker spray, and the optional cruiser shield acrylic license plate cover, the plate was indeed blured out; it was unreadable, what happened?

In seems that in New York, your registration sticker is on your windshield....yes, the license plate was blured out...but not the registration sticker. I think I'd be spraying that 2X3" section of the windshield too.

Phantom Plate

I have the stuff...I need to apply it to my car....
Old 02-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

Originally Posted by mborkow
damn it. i don't even have a front plate (the car didn't have one when i got it).
Same here. The PO had the bumper holes filled when he resprayed the bumper (to get rid of the stone chips). My bumper looks so nice now, I hate to have to put the holes back in.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

Originally Posted by djordan
I got a great bracket from this guy on ebay. Had trouble getting the screws to stay in so I used zip ties and it holds tight. I also bought his cup holder which is the best out there. (No relation, I just like his products.)

Ebay item 8037259850
The license plate you are talking about... how does it facilitate the temporary mount? Can you post pics? I checked out his ebay listing and it's only for the cupholder.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 552 Posts

My last no plate ticket was $25 last August in Hollywood, added to a parking ticket. Just mailed it in, no show.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

I was stopped on after speeding a bit on the Dumbarton bridge. The guy gave me a ticket for the lic plate instead of speeding (nice guy). I remember that it was no more than $30 bucks also. No need to show up in court. I just went to my local police station, showed them a picture of the lic plate (the guy was too lazy to walk out to the parking lot), he signed the ticket. I sent in the ticket with the check. And that's it.

So, if there is a way to temporarily mount the lic plate, I can live with paying a ticket once in a while.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:30 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

You hardly ever see any nice car with a front plate in the Bay Area. Is this Arnold's plan for getting the state out of debt? Let's see, 15 million tickets at $60 per. Hmmm, almost a billion dollars.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

9/11?
what a joke
Old 02-14-2006, 09:37 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

The factory bracket is really, really heinous. I hope it's that way to comply with some stupid regulation about plate location, it's really at odds with the rest of the car. My old Miata was the same way, but a simple flip of the bracket solved that problem by putting the plate down in the grill opening.

The seller in the auction at the start of this thread is a Rennlister (http://www.inventivaconcepts.com/fplk.html) and makes a really nice bracket that mounts in the grill area - two small holes that you'll never see when it's removed (except if you're under the nose of the car). I got to feeling all crafty and made a 993 bracket myself but had the materials, tools and an hour or two to kill. The kit is very fairly priced and looks to have everything you need.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Don C
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding is that if you are issued two plates, you gotta install both. I have my front plate in the car with an old broken bracket. If I'm ever stopped, I can show it and say I'm getting it fixed. This has worked. Obviously deosn't work if you're parked and get a ticket when not at your car.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

Originally Posted by ed devinney
The seller in the auction at the start of this thread is a Rennlister (http://www.inventivaconcepts.com/fplk.html) and makes a really nice bracket that mounts in the grill area - two small holes that you'll never see when it's removed (except if you're under the nose of the car). I got to feeling all crafty and made a 993 bracket myself but had the materials, tools and an hour or two to kill. The kit is very fairly priced and looks to have everything you need.
I think I'm going to order it. When you get a ticket, just mount the license plate using this kit and get the ticket paid. And then take it off again. No holes on the bumper. I like it.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:45 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

pictures of the under bumper mount from an older thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...9&postcount=25

and the full thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/195259-lost-my-front-license-plate-is-there-a-better-way-to-mount-the-front-plate.html

The maker is Rennlister "upshift"
Old 02-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I had the Inventiva front plate mount on my NB OEM bumper and now on my turbo bumper.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:54 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

California Vehicle Code states that both plates are required. Generally, enforcement is lacking so many don't put it on up front. LA sucks - I was parked for a week in Lot C while away on business & when I returned I had a ticket for no front plate. I couldn't believe it - trolling parked business travelers for violations

Quick Reply: Ticket for no front plate in California