Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost My Front License Plate - Is there a better way to mount the front plate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Lost My Front License Plate - Is there a better way to mount the front plate?

Got home from work after driving 35 miles and discovered my front license plate and mounting bracket was missing. I know it was there when I left work as I cover my car and would have noted if it was missing. The two front square holes look like they’ve been stressed. Now I have to go to DMV and get new plates and order up the several pieces that it takes to construct the front plate mounting set up from Porsche.

Not having a front plate mounted is not an option for me. Does anyone know of an alternative (and better) way to mount the front plate than the OEM set up? TIA
Old 04-03-2005, 08:44 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chuck,

Jef, the guy that makes those neat cupholders, also makes a license plate kit that mounts below the front bumper. Design is nice and sturdy as I have one of his first kits and can atest to it's robust mounting concept.

http://inventivaconcepts.com/fplk.html

Get some bumper plugs for the holes left from the original plate setup and you'll be all set... and yes, those stock plate mounting holes in the bumper are pretty wimpy.

Good luck
Old 04-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Kelly....Many thanks. I just printed out all of the information.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:21 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the fronts and rears the same? They were on my car but the rear place seems to angle out. I've noticed that on other 993's the rear plate is flat with the bumper.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:22 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Chuck,

Just stay out of South Pasadena until you get the new plate. I got popped for no front license plate by a meter maid. My car was legally parked but he felt he needed to give me a ticket for the plate.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:16 AM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck,
I have a broken plate frame that I keep inside my car with the front plate. If you explain that you have the parts on order, they usually let you go. The cops are usually more concerned about your front plate being on another car (that's what a cop buddy of mine told me).
Old 04-04-2005, 01:24 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28

Chuck,

Just stay out of South Pasadena until you get the new plate. I got popped for no front license plate by a meter maid. My car was legally parked but he felt he needed to give me a ticket for the plate.
Meter Maid can do that? How much was the ticket and was it a "fix it" ticket? How will this effect your insurance if any? TIA
Old 04-04-2005, 02:50 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Tony,

I'm hearing that it is no longer a fix-it ticket but am not certain. I don't like plates on the front of the car and the idea of keeping one in the car with a broken plate holder sounds like a great idea.

Dave
Old 04-04-2005, 04:26 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by SCMomentum

I'm hearing that it is no longer a fix-it ticket but am not certain. I don't like plates on the front of the car and the idea of keeping one in the car with a broken plate holder sounds like a great idea.
Dave,

Funny you say that... that's exactly what I do with my daily driver. I just hope I won't have to use it.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:07 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kkim
...Jef, the guy that makes those neat cupholders, also makes a license plate kit that mounts below the front bumper. Design is nice and sturdy as I have one of his first kits and can atest to it's robust mounting concept.

http://inventivaconcepts.com/fplk.html
Kelly - do you have any pics? I've seen his pics on ebay and was considering getting one just so I don't have to deal w/ fix-it tickets.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 05:24 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
Kelly - do you have any pics? I've seen his pics on ebay and was considering getting one just so I don't have to deal w/ fix-it tickets.

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2005, 08:02 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kkim
Thanks Kelly.....hmmmm....thinking....
Old 04-04-2005, 12:19 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

I'll chime in here too...

My avatar shows this same mounting unit. It works well, angles the plates down and back a bit (told by a local traffic officer in my local PCA that it should "help" with Laser speed detectors!).

It also helps to tell when you get too close to one of those concrete parking bars... I hear the scrape before it hits the Front protection bar or the underside.

Oh, and a work colleage of mine got a ticket for no front plate while his car was parked at the long term parking lot in LAX once! I've also heard from a LAPD friend that there's about to be a wave of "vehicle" tickets coming... If your car has no license plate, or has wheels edges that are outside the edge of the vehicle (typically those jacked up pickups) then be wary.... The police needs funds and....well... you get the picture..

Clive.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:24 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Just to add... the way it mounts up and under the front bumper, if you removed the whole thing, then you'd never be able to notice it had ever been fitted. Only if you get on the floor and look up, and then see two small holes on the underside.

My car came with no front plate, but did have a new front bumper without the holes for the plate mount. Seemed a shame to drill into the front, when this thing is neat, tidy and unobtrusively mounted.

Keeps me "legal" too...

Clive.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

huh, you can mount a plate on the front?? no way..

Quick Reply: Lost My Front License Plate - Is there a better way to mount the front plate?