Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
View Poll Results: Does your 993 see the Track?
Never
41.76%
Occasionally: Less than 50%
38.46%
Often: More than 50%
14.29%
Exclusively: It's a rat
5.49%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Does your 993 see the track?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 06:09 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Now days more track time than street. Its the place that I truely get the most fun out of the car. When I am on the street, I am either on my way to the track, or wish I was.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:12 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by David 23
Now days more track time than street. Its the place that I truely get the most fun out of the car. When I am on the street, I am either on my way to the track, or wish I was.
Same here, I tell people I only drive my car to and from the track and my mechanic.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I decided that my C2S was much too nice to be used as a daily driver/hack like some rice-mobile. I like to drive the car....fun street car with over 100 track days over the past three years. 2nd place Concours winner after 50 of those days. I buy them to drive them...like they were intended to be driven.

But , to each their own! If you are enjoying the car, you are using it the YOU should use it.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Calvo

(That's enuf for your stupid poll)
Actually, it's a very informative poll however statistically flawed it may be. I had no idea how many people were or were not interested in tracking their cars.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:36 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Actually, it's a very informative poll however statistically flawed it may be. I had no idea how many people were or were not interested in tracking their cars.
I agree, its actually eye opening to see how many people here are not taking their 993's to the track. I always assumed that at east 90% of the board would be taking their cars to the track.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:11 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '98 993 Cab has 32k miles on the odometer and nearly 4k of those on the track. Over 20 track days to date and still running strong!
Old 02-11-2006, 06:31 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was using my C4S for D.E. track days for two seasons and they were GREAT for developing skills and getting to know the car, but once I got "hooked" and started travelling to more tracks and moving up in run groups ....... it was time for a separate track car.
1) I did not envision doing track when I bought my low mileage "black beauty", and don't really want to risk track damage, and 2) I knew I definitely needed harnesses, seats, etc and I did not really want to make those kind of mods to the C4S.....so I just bought another car that is already outfitted and has already had plenty of body repair from track "experience" of previous owner. If it gets damaged, I fix it, I won't be heartbroken.

I am keeping my "993" number though ! For most events I am able to slap the "993" on the RSA and show people my "true loyalty". and, I am sure I'll get the itch to go our and track the 993 occassionally.

Come on springtime !
Attached Images   
Old 02-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
I agree, its actually eye opening to see how many people here are not taking their 993's to the track. I always assumed that at east 90% of the board would be taking their cars to the track.
Yup, Danny. I figured we had more track people here. Not that there's anything wrong with it...
Old 02-12-2006, 12:36 AM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm a bit surprised how many folks think that running the car on a track is damaging to the equipment. more than a few have made comments about how their cars are 'too nice' to track. some have said they want to preserve their garage queens. perhaps i'm naive here, but i really think these cars are right at home on a racing track. i don't believe track work will bother a properly maintained 993. you'll run through brakes, for sure, but not much else. maybe i've been lucky? is a lightly driven engine with 10,000 street miles better off than one that has 30,000 street and track miles? i don't know. i would think that engines need regular service and maybe a rebuild at some point, but i can't see why the intervals would be different depending on how it has been driven.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:26 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought it as a fulfillment of a dream. Found Rennlist. Found modifications. Found new dream. Track whenever I can. That said, I will not further modify the car as it's at the line in terms of being able to enjoyably drive on the street.

Probably will by an '87/'88 911 and strip it down to a full on race car. I've got the sickness. I'm like Will Farrell in Old School..."It just tastes so good on my lips....."
Old 02-13-2006, 02:30 AM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

A friend of mine just bought a new M5 and was telling me about driving it around the back roads "exploring the limits". I told him if he got anywhere near the limits of that car on the street, he was going to kill himself or someone else. I told him to take it to the track and he would see what I mean. He has and now understands completely.

I think the same thing applies to a Porsche.

Greg H.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:41 AM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PedroNole - Is that you in your avatar? It's an excellent shot!
Old 02-13-2006, 09:12 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Used to track the car a couple times a month until I bought a race car. Now that I am getting out of racing, I am not sure I will track my car very often as I know the risks and cant personally afford to write my car off.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:26 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

I'm a little suprised at the results - lots of track virgins.
I always figured that there was more harm inflicted by typical "road" driving - stop and go, high temperatures, snow and salt etc. than there would be on the track.
Some very insightful comments. Thanks for participating - even you Ray!
Bob
Old 02-13-2006, 04:36 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

I don't think there is any harm in the mechanical aspect of tracking the cars, but body damage would be more of my concern - if you have to explain that to a future potential buyer(oh, I am never selling) some people may be taken aback by the track aspect. or the risk of not having insurance coverage (I now have separate DE insurance). or risking an all original paint job. Mechanical - engine, brakes, etc is not the concern at all....

Snow / salt - blasphemy !

Quick Reply: Does your 993 see the track?