Porsche Motorsound

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 06:44 AM
TS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Motorsound

Hi, I've a 993 C4S stock.

I've seen on carnewal site the Porsche motosound option to upgrade the sound of my car.
I would like to know (note 1 to 10) the improvement of the sound with :
1. stock vs. motorsound airfilter (any change on fuel consumption?)
2. stock vs. motorsound airfilter + Factory chrome plated exhaust tips (I think the factory chrome plated exhaust tips made no improvements on the sound, right ?)
3. stock vs. motorsound airfilter + motorsound mufflers

I'd before my 993 a 964 with the cup bypass pipe (my benchmark)...I miss the great sound..

Thanks in advance

PS: I'm not interested in non-Porsche muffler or airbox because here in Switzerland these modification are not permitted...the police do a lot of controls :-(

TS
993 C4S
Old 01-08-2006, 01:22 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that option on my car when I bought it, and to be honest it wasn't much louder than my friends car without to motor sound option. The exhaust tips don't appear to make any difference as far as I can tell. The air box cover however does make a noticable difference, but you can just drill holes in the normal air box cover to achieve the same effect. The RSR's are a winner, it's a shame you cannot use them. I'm not sure that the european cars have different mufflers, it may be that that option is only the air box cover, but i could be wrong.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:47 PM
SinVancouver
Instructor

You could prob use RSR's as they use stock cores so unless you open them up there is not much indication they are non-stock.

RSR+Motorsound box cover are pretty nice together... I go out of my way to comute thru tunnels to work and back lol...

S
Old 01-08-2006, 02:10 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. MS & stock air filters are the same. MS airbox lid has holes for more induction noise. As said, you can drill the holes yourself. The MS cover/drilled holes makes a big improvement in sound, especially w/Varioram. IMO it's a mandatory 1st step to better sound.
2. Tips do nothing for sound.
3. If you must stay w/factory mufflers, IMO the MS mufflers make a very noticeable & desireable improvement from stock. Louder, deeper, rumbling, throaty idle (not quite as deep as RSR), but very mellow. On throttle, again especially at higher rpms after Varioram tubes shift, the sound is a heavenly growl & as loud as I would want. You cannot carry on a conversation while accelerating hard. Absolutely no resonance anytime, anywhere in the rpm range.

Sound is so subjective that you really must listen to a full MS car to best decide for yourself. BTW, as I'm sure you know, many "MS" cars have only the airbox w/o the mufflers.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:35 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

I agree with the advice above, and would only add that listening to the MS mufflers right next to my RSRs, I feel the RSRs offer a slightly more hollow sound at idle. As the say, "beauty is in the ear of the listener" :-). I can't see why you couldn't 'get away' with the MS or RSR muffler in Sitzerland as either will appear to be completely stock.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:07 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

I'll just add that the MS mufflers improve things, but their is a noticeable difference by also adding the MS larger tips. I've compared these side to side in upgrading my own nonMS car. The tips though are very overpriced. Either way, inside the coupe, the biggest difference is the airbox cover in terms of what you will actually hear. I would agree, looking at the RSRs (they are modified stock and I think nearly indistinguishable) would be the best option. Can someone in similar location with these speak to any problems with emissions etc?

bill
Old 01-08-2006, 04:56 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

here goes my opinion ---

i can tell a big difference between the motorsound mufflers/airbox and the stock mufflers/airbox... big difference. i cannot tell a big difference between motorsound and RSRs, having heard both...

a rennlister once gave me this advice - "if your car is completely stock now, get the RSRs... if you already have the motorsound package, probably not worth the upgrade to RSRs"... just my opinion of course, but i think it is pretty good advice.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:27 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

The exhaust tips are only for looks and do not change anything to the sound.
The Motorsound airfilter cover will give you more sound inside at higher revs.
I never noticed, or heard anyone that reported a change in fuel consumption after installing the MS airfilter cover.
The Motorsound mufflers are slightly louder than stock.
The RSR's are again louder than the MS mufflers.

Since the RSR's look the same as the stock muffler, they will not give you any problems during the yearly technical inspection. There are a couple of 993's with RSR's in Switzerland since many years.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:49 AM
adams993
Burning Brakes

Does anyone have a soundclip of the RSR's with a motorsound box? Or a factory box...etc etc. ANything where I can hear an otherwise stock exhaust but the Robin's RSR's. THANKS!
ADAM
Old 02-12-2014, 08:43 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just installed the Motorsound air filter cover & the induction sound reminds me of the 1960's era Chrysler Ram-Induction engines, although not accompanied by the Ramcharger's V-8 bellow.

Nice improvement.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:50 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think anyone outside the car is going to tell a difference between stock airbox and motorsound. The intake "sound" is something you'll hear inside the car though. There are 2 easy modifications many do with the stock box: Drill holes in it (do a search and you'll find examples) and Cut most of it off leaving just the frame (which looks somewhat like the Fabspeed one).

Regarding the exhaust. Yes, Motorsound is slightly "better" sounding than stock. But there are also people that have taken their stock mufflers and modified them, either with or without internal modifications. One example is where a simple bypass is welded on the outside of the cans, much like a Fister exhaust is. If you have a muffler shop you trust, they might be able to handle some minor modifications to your existing mufflers.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:53 PM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I made up a drill template a while back. It is still floating around - I think "FabianS" was using it last.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=83764
Old 02-12-2014, 10:13 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by TS
Hi, I've a 993 C4S stock.

I've seen on carnewal site the Porsche motosound option to upgrade the sound of my car.
I would like to know (note 1 to 10) the improvement of the sound with :
1. stock vs. motorsound airfilter (any change on fuel consumption?)
2. stock vs. motorsound airfilter + Factory chrome plated exhaust tips (I think the factory chrome plated exhaust tips made no improvements on the sound, right ?)
3. stock vs. motorsound airfilter + motorsound mufflers

I'd before my 993 a 964 with the cup bypass pipe (my benchmark)...I miss the great sound..

Thanks in advance

PS: I'm not interested in non-Porsche muffler or airbox because here in Switzerland these modification are not permitted...the police do a lot of controls :-(

TS
993 C4S
You come to San Diego and drive my car.
1996 with motorsound.

I come to CH and visit Lauterbrunnen.

Deal?
Attached Images   
Old 02-13-2014, 02:24 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to hijack a thread, but do you guys know what the going rate for a used set of MS mufflers is? I suspect they don't come up for sale often.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:34 AM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
Not to hijack a thread, but do you guys know what the going rate for a used set of MS mufflers is? I suspect they don't come up for sale often.
Saw a used set on ebay listed a few months ago for around $1k. Not sure if it sold

Quick Reply: Porsche Motorsound