Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Motorsound

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 01:07 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the motor sound muffler and air box on my car where it was just ever so slightly louder than the stock system. Darin Fister modifies the stock Porsche exhaust cans if the Swiss authorities can overlook these, may provide you with the most value for the money plus shaving a bit of weight. I would humbly rate MS/MSAB a 3 or 4, MSAB/Fister StageIII a 10.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:43 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I read a few posts about "Gundo Hack" and "993 Muffler Bypass" and found all sorts of possible solutions. The easiest appeared to be to have your muffler shop remove the cans and weld a 1.5" pipe between the 2 like in this example. Some report having this done for as little as $200. They remain the same stock cans but are more of a motorsound / RSR tone.

Video of "Porsche 993 Gundo Hack" with 1.5" bypass between in / out:
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the sports airbox, RSRs and 100 cell cats. The airbox (or drilled standard box) makes a huge improvement inside the car; the RSRs are a big improvement over original but are not much louder and the 100 cell cats really make a difference to the loudness and sound of the car. It sounds really good, especially through tunnels.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:09 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Agree, the 100 cell cats make more difference than boxes, I would do cats as well as boxes or just the cats, not just the boxes
Old 02-14-2014, 05:13 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The motorsound airbox has a nice chrome inlet (as well as those holes), so looks nice too. It is only the 'lid' to the airbox that's different and therefore just clips onto the existing bit that holds the filter panel. Although I had the genuine article I'd say its a high price to pay for something you don't see 99% of the time. I did like the additional induction roar though. It's not intrusive or wearing. So, as said by others, just drill the hole in the existing clip-off side panel and you have the noise part of the motorsound if not the look. I had an idea that I recall seeing the uncut hole positions moulded on the inside of the standard panel...or am I just imagining that?
Old 02-14-2014, 11:18 AM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart
I had an idea that I recall seeing the uncut hole positions moulded on the inside of the standard panel...or am I just imagining that?
The area to be drilled, if that's what you want to do, is slightly raised on the outside of the airbox cover. In addition, on the standard box there is an oval rubber plug that is removed from the Motorsound cover.
Attached Images   
Old 02-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
I would humbly rate MS/MSAB a 3 or 4, MSAB/Fister StageIII a 10.
Where would you rate the MSAB/Fister StageII on that scale?
Old 02-14-2014, 12:56 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
I read a few posts about "Gundo Hack" and "993 Muffler Bypass" and found all sorts of possible solutions. The easiest appeared to be to have your muffler shop remove the cans and weld a 1.5" pipe between the 2 like in this example. Some report having this done for as little as $200. They remain the same stock cans but are more of a motorsound / RSR tone.

Video of "Porsche 993 Gundo Hack" with 1.5" bypass between in / out: Porsche 993 Exhaust Bypass pipes 1.5" (Gundo Hack) - YouTube
Way too loud & raw for me. Sounds too much like a race car.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by VintageRacer477
The area to be drilled, if that's what you want to do, is slightly raised on the outside of the airbox cover. In addition, on the standard box there is an oval rubber plug that is removed from the Motorsound cover.
That is where the clutch hose connector goes, of which most people I know disconnect from the other end, so as NOT to send clutch dust into the air filter. Not sure if that is a US only thing or not.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:29 AM
01coccobet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

just to contribute to this mess…..

this is my last (and the one I finally like)sound….(I should take better sound equipment than a mobile phone)

One thing,mine is an X51
Old 02-16-2014, 09:30 AM
01coccobet
Racer

Old 02-16-2014, 11:42 AM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

wow, these sound awesome...

is the first sound clip of a motorsound muffler?

also, in the 2nd clip, that crackle sound at the end of the growl...what is it?

thanks
Old 02-16-2014, 12:35 PM
01coccobet
Racer

Hi luckyJ,

everything started long time ago,while I was invited at the ending event of the italian TRICOLORE PORSCHE.

I saw an 993 RS with this AWESOME sound…..

I felt in love right away!

It was raspy at high rpm,burbling while off the trottle,really deep at minimum,and throaty on WOT….

that was it.

It's all reversible,basically GENUINE,and bought the part non reversible….

the first video is about the various step I've done(but more were to come after that video),

starting with the original MS muffler and end tips of the RS(993.111.045.05/06),

I upgraded:

bought 1 set of std mufflers and converted to RSR from Gert

NOT HAPPY

non genuine end tips

NOT HAPPY

genuine BIG OVAL

NOT HAPPY

BMC air filter

NOT HAPPY

MS intake cover

NOT HAPPY

200 cell CAT

NOT HAPPY

open the RSR muffler and made a lot of mods,tried most of the known metallic elements:

alluminium,titanium,SS ending with BRASS(OTHO),and shapes

NOT HAPPY

reinstalled a genuine air filter

I ended-up with this final set-up of the last video

Now I'm happy,but I will always wonder what headers could do……

The crackle you hear should be the typical sound when you release the throttle at low to medium rpm…

if you go higher or stay very low,it disappears.I LOVE IT
Old 02-17-2014, 04:53 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi gentlemen, I'd like to put my 2 cents here. I have the oem mufflers with 100 cells cat, and I had the motorsound as porsche option. That combo sounds just great from idle to hi rpm without being to loud.
One remark about vintageracer477 picture: the oval opening is not just an additional intake. And just like Kika wrote, that opening is normally connected to a tube which goes to the clutch. I think it's purpose is to ventilate the clutch by sucking air (and dust) towards the air filter. At least this is how it is installed on 993 4s.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:06 PM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VintageRacer477
What is the part number on that plug?

Quick Reply: Porsche Motorsound