Sponsored by:

Change that Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 10:57 PM
JimProuty
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change that Brake Fluid

I just got a nasty suprise with my recently-purchased 1995 993 Cabriolet: the brake fluid has some kind of congealed gunk in it that apparently clogged the ABS system, and it'll cost me about $3600 in repairs (master cylinder, ABS reservoir, a bunch of other stuff and labor).

The symptom was the brake pedal sinking to the floor just after the car was started or when on a downhill incline.

Talking to the dealer service tech, he says he's seen this on other 993s (and ONLY on other 993s), has asked Porsche "what's up with that?" and gotten no reply.

He theorized that it happens with "old" brake fluid, and he noted that the recommended service interval for flushing (not bleeding) the brake fluid is once every two years.

I think I bought a "garage queen" that wasn't properly maintained.

So if you haven't done it recently, it could save you a lot of money down the road.

I'm gonna go get a stiff drink, now
Old 01-06-2006, 11:09 PM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Is very true you have to change the brake fluid periodically.
i changed mine at 20.000 miles. Seems to be damaged with time, humidity, pads heat, and other related factors.

Wise to change on time ..... !!!!
Old 01-06-2006, 11:28 PM
cooz
Pro

it would be best to flush/change the brake fluid every 2 yrs or so for normal street use cars.

brake fluid absorbs moisture/water which is BAD for performance and associated brake system parts.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:45 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by JimProuty
the brake fluid has some kind of congealed gunk in it that apparently clogged the ABS system, and it'll cost me about $3600 in repairs (master cylinder, ABS reservoir, a bunch of other stuff and labor).
I've heard of people having luck using silicone DOT-5 fluid to dissolve and flush the spooge. I have no first-hand experience but if you're at the point of replacing everything anyway it might be worth a shot, at the very least ask your mechanic about it.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:52 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I flush my fluid every year on the Porsche, every 2 years on the street cars.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:17 AM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isnt there some way or product to flush those parts and lines out yourself?

Last edited by faster; 01-07-2006 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:30 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I just got a nasty suprise with my recently-purchased 1995 993 Cabriolet: the brake fluid has some kind of congealed gunk in it that apparently clogged the ABS system, and it'll cost me about $3600 in repairs (master cylinder, ABS reservoir, a bunch of other stuff and labor).

The symptom was the brake pedal sinking to the floor just after the car was started or when on a downhill incline.

Talking to the dealer service tech, he says he's seen this on other 993s (and ONLY on other 993s), has asked Porsche "what's up with that?" and gotten no reply.

He theorized that it happens with "old" brake fluid, and he noted that the recommended service interval for flushing (not bleeding) the brake fluid is once every two years.

I think I bought a "garage queen" that wasn't properly maintained.

So if you haven't done it recently, it could save you a lot of money down the road.

There must be a way to circumvent the ABS unit altogether, and save yourself a chunk of change... I know they're insanely expensive, money which is much better spent on upgrades Unless you're constantly driving in the snow, I really don't see the need for ABS anyway. Just my $.02
Old 01-07-2006, 01:39 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I've heard of others with this same problem. In fact, my car had this same waxy sludge, but fortunately we found it before it did any damage. Sorry to hear about the severity of your problem.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:00 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Contact your local PCA and get some names of independent Porsche mechanics. There is a good chance the dealer is doing more work than needs to be done.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:16 AM
BanMeNot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by faster
isnt there some way or product to flush those parts and lines out yourself?
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...r/European.jpg
European Power Bleeder Kit, Porsche All
Not sure work or not, never try.

Keith
Old 01-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts

Brake fluid is like oil in that it contains additive packages that are used up in the course of doing their job. One of the major jobs is to prevent corrsion internally. All Brake fluid except the DOT 5 silicones are hygroscopic, meaning they absorb moisture from the air.

Also like oil the factory recomended change frequency is way too long. For street cars I do it annually, for track, before each event. Good fluid is not that expensive compared to the possible consequenses, as noted it the original post.

The best for track use is either DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 both are Borate Ester based and provide suoerior performance

IMO Castrol SRF is at a brake fuid sweet spot for cost vs performance.

also IMO wet performance spec is more significant than dry because as soon as the can is opened the fluid starts it's inexorable transition to the wet end.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:07 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bill, isn't the SRF non-hydroscopic?
Old 01-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Porscheologist
Racer

Jim I would NOT go just by what the Por$che Stealer says! An idependant shop is the way to go if you are not a DIY kind of guy. In my experience a pedal sinking to the floor is either a failed master cylinder or a fluid leak in the system. The leak is easy to spot and a master cylinder can either be rebuilt or replaced. A complete flush should eliminate the gunk. Tell us were you are at and I am sure you will get many local shop recomendations.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
Bill, isn't the SRF non-hydroscopic?
The only type that is not hygroscopic is DOT 5 silicone based, which is only appropriate for museum vehicles.

All Dot 3, 4 and 5.1 will absorb moisture to varing degrees

Last edited by Bill Verburg; 01-07-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

If you let the dealer do all this work I imagine that the service writer is have a drink also....but more in celebratory manner.

Quick Reply: Change that Brake Fluid