Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change that Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 02:42 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always been told stay clear of 5.0...go with 5.1 if you want a DOT 5 fluid.

(This is coming from an Audi guy...the brake fluid was also used for the clutch mechanism. The silicone would cause clutch failure...)
Old 01-20-2006, 12:42 AM
JimProuty
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Followup: Total cost = $3525

Okay, here's the final tally on fixing my fading brakes:

$407 for a master cylinder I may not have needed (Motor Sports Intl).
$2229 for an ABS hydraulic control unit it clearly did need (Stuttgart Autotech).
$169 Misc Other parts
$720 Labor
-----
$3525

Ouch

On the positive side, my car didn't actually NEED the engine pulled to fix an oil leak that dropped an oil spot the size of a 50 cent piece over a period of 4 days, as the dealer (Sunset Imports in Beaverton) recommended. That "saved" me $4000-$6000.

So "hats off" to Stuttgart Autotech in Lake Oswego; having brakes I can trust is quite a relief. Now to try out those twisties on the way to the Oregon coast!
Old 01-20-2006, 04:57 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

What did you do with your old ABS hydraulic control unit and master cylinder? If you still have them would you consider flushing them out with DOT-5 just to see if it will dissolve the spooge?
Old 01-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I need to mention for folks reading this string in the future:

There are several posts about this issue on the PCA.org tech section. I had the same problem and did not need to go through the expenses above.

It appears to be fairly common with cars that have not had routine bleeding.

Someone simply replaced the fluid with an older type DOT fluid and drove the car for a week. Then he flushed the system and put in the correct fluid. The older type fluid acted as a cleaning agent and dissolved the waxy substance. This method is certainly worth a try as it is cheap.

My master cylinder was replaced and repetitive flushing solved my problem.

Joel Reiser at PCA tech helped me through the process and was curious enough to ask for my old master.

Simply for the archives.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:24 PM
JimProuty
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
What did you do with your old ABS hydraulic control unit and master cylinder? If you still have them would you consider flushing them out with DOT-5 just to see if it will dissolve the spooge?
Stuttgart has the old ABS unit, and they did first try flushing it out with brake fluid (I don't know if they used DOT-5), but that didn't fix it like they hoped it would.

And I don't have the old master cylinder; Motor Sports Inc does. Since they agreed to let me pay them only for the new part, I don't feel entitled to the old one. (And I don't have any brake flushing tools.) I do wonder, however, whether replacing the master cylinder was necessary.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Power Bleeders are a terrific thing, I bleed my Porsche once yearly (payback for all the times it bleeds me )... I alternate using ATE Blue with ATE Gold so I can tell when all the old stuff is out and the new stuff is in. NOTE/WARNING: this is on a 928, I have no idea if my choice of brake fluid is appropriate for 993's. It takes me about an hour to do. Cheap insurance.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:58 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

How does one cycle the ABS when flushing the brake system to ensure that it gets flushed, too?
Old 01-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
How does one cycle the ABS when flushing the brake system to ensure that it gets flushed, too?
Use a "Hammer" tool that plugs into the diagnostics in the car. Do a search and you will see many posts on that matter.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:19 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Use a "Hammer" tool that plugs into the diagnostics in the car. Do a search and you will see many posts on that matter.
Or, do a track day. Rebleed, do another track day and rebleed. By then, enough fluid should have been exchanged. Maybe not?
Old 01-20-2006, 05:06 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same symptoms (sinking pedal and white gunk) only a few thousand miles and a year or two after having my independent shop flush the system (among lot$ of other things).

Took it back to them and they said this is a problem found only in 993s and has, in their opinion, nothing to do with moisture absorbtion. They said, "no one knows what the cause is, but it's only with this model. Maybe it's an incompatibility of brake component materials".

They flushed and flushed and got my pedal back to maybe 90%. Next time I'll flush it myself, to be sure it was done thoroughly.

Quick Reply: Change that Brake Fluid