Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me to petition Porsche....

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 11:55 PM
STAR57
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike...Im 199% behind you whatever is needed Im in !!
I can relate...I had a 1993 Rust Bucket by VW aka Eurovan.
Good Luck
Old 11-26-2005, 12:13 AM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously they have had issues with Targa's before otherwise they would not deny the repair under the warranty.

I am in to support you, just let us know what needs to be done.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:50 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S_fan
Its a sad state of affairs when the most profitable car company doesn't stand behind its most recognizable product. The 993 is argued to be the epitome of the Carreras and yet when there are issues with the car (such as yours and others described here) Porsche claims ignorance.

Mike, you're a very reasonable and patient person... the least Porsche could do is cover the entire bill for you. Otherwise, I'll have to seriously re-consider recommending any Targas (regardles of year) to other car enthusiasts.

Let me know what I can do to help out!
You are very correct... what is worse is HOW we get treated by PCNA. A couple of years ago I complaint to PCNA about the treatment and the lies I received from one of their dealers from whom I had purchased my cabrio. Instead of at least sympathizing with me and look into it, they told me that I WAS NOT A PORSCHE CUSTOMER because I had not bought new from Porsche!!!!! And that with 2 993's!!!
So I'm not surprised that Mike is getting this kind of treatment.... Pathetic really isn't it?
Old 11-26-2005, 01:14 AM
993polarsilver
Racer

Count me in as well. It is time for PCNA to stand up and not hide behind a bizarre (and convenient) interretation of their warranty verbage. A body panel is a body panel and a targa top is not a cabrio top. Good luck, let us know if you need signatures.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:34 AM
curveraider
Racer

You have my vote! I was going to buy a Cayenne for trips to the snow. However, if their rust proofing is this bad, I may have to reconsider.

Good luck!
Old 11-26-2005, 02:28 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJF1
You are very correct... what is worse is HOW we get treated by PCNA. A couple of years ago I complaint to PCNA about the treatment and the lies I received from one of their dealers from whom I had purchased my cabrio. Instead of at least sympathizing with me and look into it, they told me that I WAS NOT A PORSCHE CUSTOMER because I had not bought new from Porsche!!!!! And that with 2 993's!!!
So I'm not surprised that Mike is getting this kind of treatment.... Pathetic really isn't it?
Apparently, we aren't Porsche customers then. I guess they don't care that it is OUR enthusiasm and love for the brand that spreads the love of Porsche to friends and fellow car enthusiasts.

That's fine with me - I'll gladly take the Porsche badges off my 993 and replace them with a RUF badge.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:48 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow, thanks to everyone for the support!

My plan was to get a long thread going with lots of rennlisters contributing and then print the thread out as evidence of what their customers think of this situation.

As far as time goes this rust did not just happen, I suspect it was eating away at the car for quite a while, likely years.

From a legal perspective it does not look good ; yes the warranty is perforation coverage. The wording is "will repair or replace with new parts distributed by Porsche Cars N.A. at its sole option, any original body panels, including those repaired or replaced under this warranty, that are rusted completely through from the inside out (preferated by corrosion). " Its pretty close to that on the bottom of the roof.

On the list of items that this warranty is said not to include:

"Rusting of the outside of the underbody (floor panel) or any other part of the car except for the body panels"

and interestingly

"Environmental damage such as that caused by acid rain or other industrial pollution, insect or bird droppings ; tree sap, stones or other flying missiles, highway maintenance chemicals, flood, storm or other forms of diaster"

I think the top and especially the parts that are rusted should be a "body panel". There is not explicit wording in the warranty excluding Targa tops.

But this is all nitpicking. If Porsche decides not to cover it then it quite an uphill battle to "change" their minds. I would prefer to take the approach using a customer groundswell to show that many people are watching how Porsche handles themselves on this one. Its only to their benefit to do the right thing.

The Porsche DSM/DPM inspected the top in October and looked for a solution within Porsche. He attempted to source a replacement roof since it’s almost impossible to halt rust once it has started. He did locate a spare Targa roof in Germany but was stopped when someone in Porsche declared that the Targa roof was not covered by the 10-year rust warranty.

I will be talking to the DSM next week and see what happens. Your support in this petition can come very handy during that talk or if I have to escalate it within Porsche. I might end up sending this to Peter Schwarzenbauer and hopefully he is customer centric enough to do the right thing.

Thanks and keep it coming!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-26-2005, 03:17 AM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Mike,

You have my support. If needed give us an e-mail and we will let them know that they better do the right thing.

Rob
Old 11-26-2005, 03:19 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

It's simple - they need to do the right thing. It's also smart - the good will generated is well worth it from a business viewpoint. Good luck with this Mike.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:09 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is an extreme example of what many 993 owners have suffered over the years, corrosion due to poor design, poor quality control or just plain poor workmanship. I too wish you every success in your venture to pursue the warranty - Porsche have made much of build quality and longevity of product in their sales pitch and it is time they were held to account. Providing you have done everything to ensure the vehicle is maintained to the highest standards and have had the body checks carried out I too would feel much agrieved.

PJC
Old 11-26-2005, 08:25 AM
SJB993
Pro

Mike, I'd just like to give you my support with this issue. It is clearly a fault with the design or poor assembly; in either case Porsche are accountable.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Count me in as well & keep us posted - this clearly has a bearing on those of us who are considering purchasing more Porsches.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:52 AM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

If there is rust on the Targa top - where else? Porsche must take care of issues like this.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:44 AM
MN993
Intermediate

Mike, count me in.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:00 PM
SS 81 SC
Track Day

Mike,

as a fellow Vancouverite...you have my 100% support. At the end of the day, it appears to be a design flaw with the targa top and Porsche should stand up & be accountable.

Quick Reply: Please help me to petition Porsche....