Sponsored by:

cleaned ISV valve. now car stalls

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 04:24 AM
shafo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaned ISV valve. now car stalls

First, I should say that I've renewed my membership and am waiting to get me member status back.

I cleaned my filthy ISV with brake cleaner and bolted her back up. Now she stalls while idling. I'm pretty certain I didn't knock any vacuum lines loose. What do you guys think?
Old 11-25-2005, 04:47 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Shafo, my first tought goes to the correct connection of the ISV. Is the arrow in the good direction? I join a picture which is a blow up, I hope the arrow is visible on it..

Old 11-25-2005, 05:08 AM
shafo
Instructor

Toga, thanks for the sanity check. I'll check that tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:59 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

The other item to check would be if yours looks exactly like JPs picture, then you did not hook up the electrical connection...
Old 11-25-2005, 09:33 AM
indian porker
Advanced

I had the same problem after the first attempt at cleaning the ISV ; after a thorough clean, it should rattle with a sound similar to shaking a paint can. Only then is it thoroughly clean with the inside surface in a silver color.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:45 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by indian porker
I had the same problem after the first attempt at cleaning the ISV ; after a thorough clean, it should rattle with a sound similar to shaking a paint can. Only then is it thoroughly clean with the inside surface in a silver color.
I agree. Did the inside move about freely after it was cleaned? I use paint thinner poured into the valve opening to make sure I get all of the inside of the valve as clean as possible. It's all that crap inside that is gumming up and preventing the inner portion from moving/turning.

If yours moved freely after you cleaned it, then yes, recheck the connections as JP and Bob recommended.

Good luck. Let us know what the results are.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:18 AM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

Guys what is the benefit of cleaning this and how often
Old 11-26-2005, 12:28 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 96C4S
Guys what is the benefit of cleaning this and how often
ISV= Idle Stabilization Valve

If it is working properly, your idle will be rock steady as it accounts for variations. If it is sticky/stuck, the idle will be high/low/erratic. A great side benefit of a properly functioning valve is easier/better modulated take off from a stop.

How often to clean? Depends on how much/how you drive the car. In my experience, about twice a year keeps the car nice and easy to drive. If you think your clutch take up is hard to engage smoothly and that something might be wrong with your clutch, it might be the ISV needs cleaning.

If you've never cleaned it, try it... it will give you a good baseline for future cleanings.

Good luck
Old 11-26-2005, 12:42 AM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

Thanks kkim
Old 11-26-2005, 01:38 PM
Paul E. Dodd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

If you forget to hook the electrical connection back up, it will probably stall on idle, and in addition your CEL will be on (if it wasn't already). Don't ask how I know.

When I cleaned my ISV the first time, it was so caked up that i had to re-read p-car.com and Kelly's posts a second time to convince myself it was supposed to be able to move! I ended up having to (carefully) use a screwdriver to break it free...

Paul
Old 11-26-2005, 07:41 PM
shafo
Instructor

I just found the time to take another look at it. It is in the proper orientation and the connection is in place. I don't remember it being able to move, though. I'll take it out and coerce it gently into movement.

My only nightmare is that I damaged the hidden, rubber portion of the aft tube while manhandling the isv into position. Is there a trick I'm missing to make it's reinsertion/connection easier?
Old 11-27-2005, 12:25 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shafo
Is there a trick I'm missing to make it's reinsertion/connection easier?
I always use Armorall or silicone spray on any rubber piece(well almost any rubber piece ) when reinserting to make things slide together easier.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:01 AM
996CAB
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by kkim
I always use Armorall or silicone spray on any rubber piece(well almost any rubber piece ) when reinserting to make things slide together easier.
Heheheheheh...kkim, your statement above could be misinterpretered but then again, could be my mind playing tricks on me...LOL!
Old 11-27-2005, 04:27 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Don't use anything containing silicone anywhere on the engine unless the product says, "oxygen sensor safe". You can/will kill the oxygen sensors, instead use rubbing alcohol as a temporary lubricant.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:45 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jason,

Interesting... Mind sharing where you got that bit of information as I have never heard of that before.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: cleaned ISV valve. now car stalls