Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has coolest wheels on their 993?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017 | 05:57 AM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Mike J,

I enclose a photo of one of the Jim wheels in "993 GT2" color, which was color-matched to an original GT2 wheel. As you can see, the GT2 color is quite a bit lighter than "Stahlgrau".

Cheers
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2017 | 01:05 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Carlos! The problem with photos and computers is that color comparisons are really only valid if the two colors have been taken side by side by the same camera at the same settings (including color temps, exposure, lens settings etc), processed the same way, and are displayed on the same monitor.

The pictures below are of a local 993 GT2 that belongs to one of my friends (yes it's real), unfortunately taken on an iPhone since that is all I had on me at the time. It was taken inside, so not much natural light. In the pictures, the wheel center's look fairly dark, but in reality, the color is quite a bit lighter and right on the edge of being washed out (at least that is what my old eyes are seeing).

Cheers,

Mike

Old 05-01-2017 | 03:07 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Pics from inside and out...
Attached Images    
Old 05-01-2017 | 04:47 PM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Got it Mike, I dabble in photography and I fully agree w your points, especially since most photos (both full cameras and mobile phone cameras) revert to auto white balance, so settings are different photo to photo. The pix of the two wheels I tried to keep color-neutral by eye, but for sure lighting and camera settings were different.

My original 993 GT2 wheels are wrapped up and in deep storage, but if i ever get the chance will take side-by-side photos.
Old 05-03-2017 | 06:47 PM
rvmhn
Instructor

Carlos, do you have any other pix of that polar silver car on the speedlines? Looks incredible.

Ravi
Old 05-03-2017 | 07:05 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Next set of GT2 wheels that come in I will get the color analyzed again just to be sure, or correct it if needed. It took 4 tries to get what I got and it was not easy color to match. Jim jdorociak@gmail.com
Old 05-04-2017 | 06:29 PM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ravi, that 4S is one of my favourite cars, and in my mind came perfectly optioned from the factory - OEM "Turbo S" aero, red full leather, hardbacks, etc. 20 years later, I would not change a thing from what was originally ticked on the ROW options menu.

Over time, like most here, I have personalized the car - suspension, exhaust, ecu, some cosmetic items, and the Jim D wheels.

Even next to its more exotic brothers, it shows off the 993 body just beautifully, and is fa better sized as a sports car than any of the later Porsche offerings.
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2017 | 06:50 PM
Knight
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carlos993
Thanks Ravi, that 4S is one of my favourite cars, and in my mind came perfectly optioned from the factory - OEM "Turbo S" aero, red full leather, hardbacks, etc. 20 years later, I would not change a thing from what was originally ticked on the ROW options menu.

Over time, like most here, I have personalized the car - suspension, exhaust, ecu, some cosmetic items, and the Jim D wheels.

Even next to its more exotic brothers, it shows off the 993 body just beautifully, and is fa better sized as a sports car than any of the later Porsche offerings.
Very nice!
Old 05-07-2017 | 02:46 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlos993

Stunning 993 and a great shot with the other cars
Old 05-11-2017 | 11:22 PM
ekimerpud
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1stgear
I had the 18" on my NB 993 and loved the look, but hated the ride.

What was bad about the ride? Do you have any suspension work done? What tires did you have on? I'm contemplating the 18" RUFs on my NB and would like to know your experience with them.

Mike
Old 05-12-2017 | 12:01 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Name:  IMG_5142.jpg
Views: 2198
Size:  471.4 KB
Old 05-12-2017 | 12:02 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You will not get an clear answer because its soooo objective. Its like exhausts, what one person finds too loud the other finds too quiet. I have no problem with the ride on my 19's, but there are people who claim that the 17"s are the best route forward.

I am an engineer and like repeatable data to base my decisions on - and until someone measures ride parameters under controlled conditions with definitive parameters, its all on "feel" - so the best way forward is to find someone who has the wheels/suspension/seats/exhaust/whatever you want, and try to get the actual physical exposure to your choices to make the actual decision, ie. feel it!

As an example, one of the most irksome comments I find on this list (and others) is "I switched to xx oil and it's so much better!". What the heck does that mean? What is better and how was it measured? Did they measure power output, or do a 100,000 mile test on wear (with control variables), or oil tests or ?? Could they go back to the previous oil and get the same previous result (whatever they were). For myself, I rely on oil testing to at least determine for my engine what seems to be working better or worse - wether that can be extrapolated to other cars is unknown.

What I am saying is you are going to have to search to experience what you are looking for, and then make your own personal call.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-12-2017 | 08:56 AM
Russ in VA
Intermediate

There is no doubt that the lightest wheel and tire package (least unsprung weight) will, other things being equal (ah there's the rub), deliver the best ride. Also taller sidewalls "generally" deliver the best ride, as long as they are not run-flats (heavy and stiff).

Did I mention that unsprung rotating weight is also the enemy of performance? Acceleration, braking, turning .... the best weight you can take off of you car is in the wheels/tires/rotors.

My bias is obvious and is reflected in my wheel choice ... lightweight 17" Fikse wheels.
Old 05-12-2017 | 12:09 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

I know my SSR GT3's are about 5 lbs lighter per corner, as opposed to the 996 C4S wheels. The Forgelines are about 5 lbs lighter per corner, than the SSR's. SSR' are now my track wheels.
Old 05-12-2017 | 12:38 PM
craina
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Russ in VA
There is no doubt that the lightest wheel and tire package (least unsprung weight) will, other things being equal (ah there's the rub), deliver the best ride. Also taller sidewalls "generally" deliver the best ride, as long as they are not run-flats (heavy and stiff).

Did I mention that unsprung rotating weight is also the enemy of performance? Acceleration, braking, turning .... the best weight you can take off of you car is in the wheels/tires/rotors.

My bias is obvious and is reflected in my wheel choice ... lightweight 17" Fikse wheels.
Also, 17" tires are cheap.

Quick Reply: Who has coolest wheels on their 993?