Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Gearing up for the big dance- last few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 04:30 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Leland, here is the ref from Porsche for the grease: 000 043 024 00 "Hoechstdruckfett" which means heavy duty grease.
About the guide tube, sorry I don't remember if it's lubed! I think not. but please get confirmation for that.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:22 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Leland Pate
I thought I read somewhere that the guide tude does not get lubed???
It depends on where you bought your release bearing from. The genuine Porsche OE release bearing has a polyamide insert that comes in contact with the guide tube. The regular aftermarket OEM Sachs release bearing does not. So with the OEM release bearing you have metal to metal contact and eventually because of all the corrosion, etc. the release bearing will stick to the guide tube. With the OE release bearing you don't grease the guide tube, with the OEM version you do. The OE guide sleeve is also smaller than the OEM guide sleeve because of the plastic insert (by about 2mm). I will see about posting some photos to better explain.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please do, Jason.
I purchased the kit from Steve Weiner. I'm at work so I don't have parts in hand, but I don't recall any plastic on the TO bearing or the guide tube. So, I guess it'd make sense to lube the parts that may come into contact with each other.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:07 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

In the first image below (OE) the red arrow is pointing to the polyamide (slitted) insert. The inside diameter of the OE release bearing is 32mm, the matching guide tube should have an outside diamer of 31.8mm (there is no plastic around the guide tube only on the release bearing). The inside diameter of an OEM Sachs release bearing (second image) will measure 34mm and the matching guide tube should be 33.8mm.

Now I'm curious to find out just how much of the LWF idle chatter is caused by a mismatched (undersized by 2mm) guide tube and release bearing. I haven't been able to find an OEM aftermarket guide tube supplier only OE so they might all be 31.8mm?

Leland,
Look for a P symbol surrounded by a triangle on the release bearing. The LWF release bearing I have is OEM (no plastic) and the DMF release bearing I have is OE (with plastic insert). What we need to find is an OE LWF release bearing and check if it has a plastic insert. If it does than we both need to get one. The materials (and the spacing) used are the same so the corrosion/welding/seizing problem would happen no matter what so I can't understand why Porsche would have switched to using the polyamide insert after March 30, 1993 but only for the DMF (as I've been told) and not the LWF. This wouldn't be the first time that the OEM part didn't match the OE version.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 10-24-2005 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Jason,
I went out and looked at my release bearing and guide tube and am positive I have the right setup. There is about .2mm worth of play between the two. I never doubted I had the right parts because Mr. Weiner just wouldn't send mis-matched parts.
The Sachs LWF release bearing is identical to the one in the second picture. No Polyamide bushing. This is why one must ensure they get the RS guide shaft with their kit.
I am just wondering if it is required to be lubed with Olista Longtime. It must because there is no Polyamide insert to lubricate the surfaces.
This is just another good reason why people need to purchase a kit from a reputable source. having 2mm worth of play in there cannot be a good thing.
Also, from what I've been told, the RS LWF doesn't actually create more noise than the DMF, but rather the DMF dampens the gear lash noise that is always present. The 12 lb. wheel just transmits the noise created by the gears more.
Thanks so much for the assistance.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:36 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

This is why one must ensure they get the RS guide shaft with their kit.
My explanation might have be a little confusing. The RS guide tube is longer than the DMF guide tube. The size differences I was talking about relate to OE versus OEM, not RS to DMF. I will hopefully have a photo of a genuine OE RS release bearing tomorrow that will answer the question.

I am just wondering if it is required to be lubed with Olista Longtime. It must because there is no Polyamide insert to lubricate the surfaces.
If there is metal-to-metal contact than you definitely need to lube the guide tube or else you'll end up with the same problem most 964s had prior to March 30, 1993 (seized release bearing).

Just curious, what is the part number of your pressure plate?
Old 10-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

I think I see what you are saying, jason. So, I can have an RS guide tube. But I need to know if it is a OE guide tube or an OEM guide tube.
Unfortunately, i threw away the box and there is no p/n stamped on the guide tube.

I can only assume S.W. sent me the OEM guide tube to go with the OEM Sachs release bearing.

Here are some pictures:
Attached Images     
Old 10-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

And a gratuitus shot of some of the goodies...
Attached Images   
Old 10-24-2005, 11:18 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

I compared your pressure plate to mine and it looks like you have the stock 964 unit. People have been mistakenly using them on 993s for ages thinking they are an upgrade but you're better off installing the stronger 993 plate. Otherwise your just taking a step backwards...
Old 12-16-2006, 01:36 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
In the first image below (OE) the red arrow is pointing to the polyamide (slitted) insert. The inside diameter of the OE release bearing is 32mm, the matching guide tube should have an outside diamer of 31.8mm (there is no plastic around the guide tube only on the release bearing). The inside diameter of an OEM Sachs release bearing (second image) will measure 34mm and the matching guide tube should be 33.8mm.

Now I'm curious to find out just how much of the LWF idle chatter is caused by a mismatched (undersized by 2mm) guide tube and release bearing. I haven't been able to find an OEM aftermarket guide tube supplier only OE so they might all be 31.8mm?

Leland,
Look for a P symbol surrounded by a triangle on the release bearing. The LWF release bearing I have is OEM (no plastic) and the DMF release bearing I have is OE (with plastic insert). What we need to find is an OE LWF release bearing and check if it has a plastic insert. If it does than we both need to get one. The materials (and the spacing) used are the same so the corrosion/welding/seizing problem would happen no matter what so I can't understand why Porsche would have switched to using the polyamide insert after March 30, 1993 but only for the DMF (as I've been told) and not the LWF. This wouldn't be the first time that the OEM part didn't match the OE version.
Jason (or anyone else) I just finished buttoning up the engine/trans and THEN ran across this thread while looking for engine to trans torque values.

Regarding the 2 T/O bearings pictured, my replacement had the "crooked line" as does the OE part. Does this mean I did right in NOT lubricating the guide tube? I don't recall what material lined the inside of the T/O bearing if any. Just know that gap or line is there.

Hopefully I don't have to pull it apart.

While I'm here, I have a shop manual but cannot find the torque value for engine to trans nuts. They hide this stuff pretty well.
Anyone have this handy?
Old 12-16-2006, 07:09 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkD
Regarding the 2 T/O bearings pictured, my replacement had the "crooked line" as does the OE part. Does this mean I did right in NOT lubricating the guide tube? I don't recall what material lined the inside of the T/O bearing if any. Just know that gap or line is there.
In a 1993 TSB for the updated release bearing Porsche recommended that you no longer lube the guide tube with 3EP but two shops I spoke with claim they still do. And for the first two years of production of the 996, Porsche was installing that guide tube (for a different style release bearing) dry but in 2000 they started using Optimoly MPO (Porsche part no. #999-917-788-00). 996TT and GT3 owners have complained of similar squeaks and dealers have also been lubing that guide tube (same as on the 964/993) with MPO.

While I'm here, I have a shop manual but cannot find the torque value for engine to trans nuts. They hide this stuff pretty well.
Anyone have this handy?
Starter to transmission housing (M10) 40 Nm (30 ft-lb)
Transmission housing to engine (M10) 45 Nm (33 ft-lb)
Old 12-16-2006, 07:13 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

In a 1993 TSB for the updated release bearing Porsche recommended that you no longer lube the guide tube with 3EP but two shops I spoke with claim they still do. And for the first two years of production of the 996, Porsche was installing that guide tube (for a different style release bearing) dry but in 2000 they started using Optimoly MPO (Porsche part no. #999-917-788-00). 996TT and GT3 owners have complained of similar squeaks and dealers have also been lubing that guide tube (same as on the 964/993) with MPO.
Starter to transmission housing (M10) 40 Nm (30 ft-lb)
Transmission housing to engine (M10) 45 Nm (33 ft-lb)
Jason, thank you very much.

So, it looks like it would be good to pull it all apart again, get yet another "special" grease and lube it. Grr...

Thanks for the torque specs!
Old 12-16-2006, 07:33 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

So, it looks like it would be good to... get yet another "special" grease and lube it.
If you already have Olista Longtime 3EP I'm not sure I would bother purchasing the MPO lube just for your dualmass flywheel guide tube. 3EP is compatible with polyamide (nylon) its just that MPO might be more compatible with a plastic-to-metal interface?
Old 12-16-2006, 08:42 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

If you already have Olista Longtime 3EP I'm not sure I would bother purchasing the MPO lube just for your dualmass flywheel guide tube. 3EP is compatible with polyamide (nylon) its just that MPO might be more compatible with a plastic-to-metal interface?
Yes, I would guess that is the case.

Seems odd the OE setup did not squeak, even after 100K miles. Oh well, practice makes perfect.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I truely like it when old threads are brought back, it gives everyone a chance to update it and maybe fill in a blank or 2.... I don't have a lot to contribute but maybe this will help future searchers.
My maintenance kit came with new Bosch triple electrode plugs. I've heard these are "pre-gapped" at the factory to .7mm. I'd like to double check, but because there are three electrodes converging on the insulator, I'm not sure how best to check the gaps.:
I did have to re-gap several of my Bosch trips, I use Bosch's standard "L" shaped wire gapper tool. I got mine from Pelican. My new plugs ranged from about .5 to >.9. I would highly recommend checking them.

I also did a search on power steering fluids and the differences between Pentosin and Dextron. I checked my fluid and it looks to be a light peach color. I'm assuming it was filled with Dextron. For those wondering where you can get the Pentosin CHF 11S, I found some at Pelican Parts (and much cheaper to boot) at $19.00 a litre.:
I went to the dealer a couple of months ago for a spare can of PS fluid, they showed me a tech bulletin from Porsche that changes the recommended PS fluid to Pentosin CHF 202.

Quick Reply: Gearing up for the big dance- last few questions