Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WARNING FRAUD!! Response from BoostCrazy....and a resolution.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 12:54 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 204 Posts
Default WARNING FRAUD!! Response from BoostCrazy....and a resolution.

Michael - and the rest of the people that have jumped on his bandwagon,

Firstly - My lack of response is purely down to the fact that i am on vacation and have been away from a computer for a few days.

Thanks to KKim who emailed me letting me know about this thread.

This transaction is the SOLE reason i do not frequent Rennlist as much as i used to and was therefore unaware of this until last night late.

Michael Moore,

I cant say I'm not surprised to see the way you have behaved in regards to this. I am not going to resort to name calling and/or threats to yourself or any of the other "Rennlist Detectives" that commented on either my lack of response or my behaviour. I have a life outside of Rennlist and dont log on every day.

I was going to counter every wrong comment you made but i dont have to explain my self to you or anyone else for that matter.

There is always 2 sides to every story and we both know of some facts that you have omitted. I will stick to the facts.

I bought some shocks from you. These shocks were "used for only 750 miles" and you say you took them out because they were to stiff. I trusted Rennlist and the other activities i have had on this site and after your excuses of not having a digital camera and changing both computers and email addresses during the initial stage i agreed to buy them. I also paid for the shipping. (ohh and i was also charged by you for the bubble wrap and the box as well.......in true Rennlist spirit)The shocks arrived and after an initial cursory inspection i put them in my garage to await the right time to install them.

Fast forward approx 8 weeks - i pulled the shocks out to clean and ready the shocks for installation. It was then that i noticed the condition of them DID NOT match your description. They were HEAVILY used.

What did i do then? Did i post a derogatory post here saying how much of a crook you are? NO - i contacted you directly via email numerous times. I sent you photos. It took you 3 days to get back to me - did i rant and rave? NO. I asked you about them and you said you would look for the receipt ( which it turns out you could NEVER provide ) because you got them "through a friend at By-Design" After numerous emails and me phoning you, i said i was unhappy and felt as though i had been mislead. You suggested that there was a manufacturing fault and that you would contact JIC about these and get back to me. Did you? NO. I contacted JIC and sent photos of the shocks to them and they informed me that the shocks were WAY older than stated and had been clearly abused. I could send them back to JIC for a rebuild. I then also made local enquiries about the shocks being rebuilt at a cost of approx $400 per shock.

I then contacted you again and i suggested that as the shocks had been assessed by JIC and clearly had been heavily used and weren't "almost new" as described by you, that i send the shocks back and i was even offering to wear the cost of the shipping.(both ways approx $700us) It was then you said to me that "it was my problem" "the sale is final" and "too bad". I asked if you would change your mind but this was met with a firm no - "they are your problem now".

I will however state that you also said that you would contribute to the cost of the shocks being rebuilt.

I ask why would you do that if they were in your words "brand new"?

I felt cheated and as though my faith in Rennlist had been destroyed in one foul swoop. Not only that, threats of violence and or legal action are fruitless.

I have emails from yourself and JIC along with photos (otherwise known as facts) to back my end of the story up.

I am not any of the things that you or anyone else here has suggested.

Now - here is the proposed resolution.

I have the shocks waiting all boxed up and ready to be sent back to you. I will not charge you for the boxes or the bubble wrap. I am also prepared to wear the $350 i spent in initial shipping to me. All you have to do is either get them picked up at your expense or wire me the $$ to do so and i will send them back to you so you can re sell them to some other poor bastard. I will not respond to any threatening emails from yourself and will not negotiate with you.

I also accept some of the blame in this case. I didn't insist on photos. I didn't listen to what my gut was telling me. I didn't check something the very second i received it. ( although i doubt it would have made any difference) and most of all i trusted and believed that Rennlist and the community would offer me some sort of protection.

Thanks for taking the time in reading my side.

Simon
Old 09-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....hmmmmm.

well .....now we have the other side of the story!!....late..but still......

so.....court tv fans........What do you think????????????????

Simon,
Thank you for your side of the story.....
Old 09-27-2005, 01:48 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fill
....hmmmmm.

well .....now we have the other side of the story!!....late..but still......

so.....court tv fans........What do you think????????????????

Simon,
Thank you for your side of the story.....
I smell something stinky
Grab a beer Phil and some popcorn
Old 09-27-2005, 01:54 AM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Touché!

Now run like hell.

Andy
Old 09-27-2005, 01:56 AM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

As always there are tow sides to every story snd each persons perception is there reality. Hope this doesn't go 5+pages - not taking sides but Simon's version sounds plausible. I have bought through Rennlist befoe but only up to a hndred or so - always went well, even got 6 free cd's with the cd player I bought for Boxster (yes, I burned one or two and returned them all).
Old 09-27-2005, 02:06 AM
jla3317
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was also interested in hearing Simon's side of the story. I feel the proposed resolution (which seems reasonable) lends credence to his account. His explanation also underscores the need not to jump to a conclusion based solely on one person's "testimony." Hopefully, the matter can be amicably ended now.

Unfortunately, even though we share a passion as Rennlist members, the realities of a free marketplace dictate caution in dealing with any person. Misunderstandings, mistakes and missed communications can screw up any deal, even one between "friends."
Old 09-27-2005, 02:54 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts
Default curious about shipping costs

Originally Posted by Boost Crazy
I am also prepared to wear the $350 i spent in initial shipping to me.
Is $350USD the rate for regular postal service (takes 1-2 weeks) between Australia and the USA?
Old 09-27-2005, 03:01 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

While I dont doubt Simon's side of things, I would, however, like to know how one would abuse a suspension damper leaving it in a state of 'heavily used'? Were they leaking, or displayed signs of leakage? Bent damper shaft(s) or even gouged?

If these folks are indeed charging $400/damper for a simple rebuild, I am at the edge of my seat waiting to hear what JIC does to these things.

Although $10K Indy car dampers are designed such a way to be serviced, revalved and resealed many times a race weekend, such services can be had for less than half of what JIC is asking for.

Sorry for questions that look as though I doubt you (I dont), but I am curious more from a technical standpoint.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:08 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BOOST,
see this is where people need you to respond. Its ok to be shy.......JUST not right now!.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:52 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

Simon,

Thanks for clearing things up... Only one problem, IMHO you are still WRONG.

Caveat Emptor -

Michael says the shocks were new, You say they were badly damaged. This is he says/she says. You might both be right, they are new and maybe defective from the manufacturer hence Michaels unhappiness with them and desire to sell.

Now, if you did not do your own DUE DILLIGENCE and didn't ask for pictures, or a local RENNLIST buddy to check out the parts before you spent the money to ship them, THAT IS YOUR FAULT AND NO ONE ELSE'S. You wouldn't buy a porsche without a PPI would you?

Now, in terms of Michael charging for bubble rap, that might not be right, but it certainley is not wrong. Michael had to pay for the bubble rap, he had to buy the cardboard box, etc. Could he have absorbed the cost, yes.. Did he need to, NO...

Did you ask Michael about what the charges were going to be? Did you have an agreeement that the sale was contingent of inspection of the parts?

You made all the mistakes here, not Michael. Granted, you might not be happy with the outcome, but you were probably so excited to get your new toys that you were not dilligent enough in your purchase.

YOU BOUGHT USED PARTS, YOU DID NOT DO YOUR RESEARCH, YOU MADE A BAD DEAL, YOU PAID TO HAVE IT SHIPPED TO AUS.,

with everything I have read, there is no question in my mind, YOU ARE IN THE WRONG despite the condition of the parts and the charge for POPCORN.
NEXT TIME DO YOUR HOMEWORK...

Now stop being an *** and send the guy back his parts... It's not his fault you live in the southern hemisophere.

CAVEAT EMPEROR... Next time, don't be such a negligent consumer.

B

ONE LAST THING: Two wrongs do not equal a right... Even if you feel that Michael wronged you by misrepresenting the parts, you hijacking his equipment and justifying it by stating that you "should" have done better research is a pathetic arguement. You have your money, you have his parts. And you are wrong for not sending them back on your own dime.
you admitted YOU should have done better research, now YOU should be a mensch and either give the man his $2000K or send his parts back at your cost. --

-- **For the record, I do not know MichaelM or BoostCrazy, have never had any contacts with either of these two and have only jumped into this fight because it is being held on a public forum where we all visit. This is my opinion and only my opinion. If others out there do not agree with me, I completely understand !! It is unfortunate that we all must act as a judge in these matters but since it would seem that both Boost and Michael wish to remain welcome on this site, maybe we can help them along..**

Last edited by B-Line; 09-27-2005 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:12 AM
MichaelM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Simon,

First let me say thank you for stepping up and discussing this matter and being honorable in sending me back the suspension. Second, Everything I told you was the truth. I DID buy them direct from JIC (Ben as a matter of fact! Just ask Viperbob!) and not "through a friend at By-Design". I can assure you that they had very few miles. I said approxamately 1000 miles which was accurate. And yes about 750 of them were to and from ViperBobs. Yes I didn't have a camera at that time, is that a crime? And yes sorry for some of the delays in responses, as I am a CPA and tax season does drive me crazy, but you were very delayed in some of your responses as well. As far as charging you for the boxes, why not? I actually went way out of my way to find you the best shipping rate I could which took me quite a few hours! Why does it take something like this for you to contact me and send me the shocks back after you received payment? Simon, I told you to have your cousin come check them out. I told you that you could have your cousin come pick them up. You didn't want to do any of this. I mean, come on man, you bought used shocks. How did I misrepresent that? I don't think it's right for me to have to pay for the shipping back, but if that's what it takes then i'll do it.

Last edited by MichaelM; 09-27-2005 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:55 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Wow....all this just makes me very circumspect about buying stuff here...well expensive stuff anyway....I have done a few deals...kelly kim, dannen goetze, frank, (all first rate and guys I trust having done some deals with them) for ducts, lights, clear sides etc - all low cost stuff...and nothing really has gone wrong but I can now see its an "accident waiting to happen"...this is just a wake up call to everybody....make sure you know what you are buying and that if the products are not as represented you have a get out !
Old 09-27-2005, 09:24 AM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Simon,
You can't keep the money and the stuff. Gotta give one of them back.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:46 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just an aside:

This has nothing to do with Rennlist. It has everything to do with people. Don't blame Rennlist for it - Rennlist is still a superb resource. Like everything else - even hard core, peer-reviewed scientific papers, you have to read through the BS.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:39 AM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I know one thing - if seller misrepresented the goods(willingly or unwiliingly) I would be doing exactly the same thing as Simon did - demanding my money back and returning the goods.
There is no doubt in my mind that Simon will be shipping the suspension back once Michael agrees that he wants it back.
Also, you have to note that Simon was not frivolous in his assesment of suspension condition - he went to JIC to confirm his initial findings.
And finally - I cringe at the thought that it could have been me having to deal with Michael's "like new" suspension - I was on the verge of buiying them back when Michael was selling them.

Quick Reply: WARNING FRAUD!! Response from BoostCrazy....and a resolution.