Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Leather care...best conditioner advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Leather care...best conditioner advice.

I was lucky enough to get a car with great condition leather seats, the problem is I'm starting to worry about how can I keep them like this...please let me know what you guys have been using to preserve your leather seats...I heard "Hide Care" from Jaguar, made in England by the Connolly Bros. is one of the best in the market...I'd appreciate any advices...thanks a lot...
Old 08-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Best advice for keeping leather seats in nice shape:

1. Clean only with mild soap and water solution. Do not use comercial leather cleaners or cleaner/conditioners as they will dry out the surface of the leather and start the cracking proccess.

2. Cover the car or at least use a windshield sun screen when the car is parked out in the open. UV is brutal on leather.

3. Any quality conditioner such as Lexol or Hide Care that adds moisture back into the hide will help keep the seats nice. As stated above - use only a conditioner, not a cleaner conditioner. Never use any combination products that are reputed to be for leather/vinyl/plastic as the shine they add traps the heat under their so called protective coating. The finish on leather is supposed to be a low gloss luster - not shiny.

Hope this helps
Old 08-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you search "leather care" you'll find some suggestions. It seems there are lots of different opinions on what product is best.

I like leatherique, however it does not impart, to the leather, any perfume, odor, smell or whatever you call it; so if you like products that have that feature don't use leatherique.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I have had some great conversations about leather care on both my pcar and Benz (unprotected nubuck leather). He really likes the Lexol products. Clean first then condition. It is easy, but needs to be done regularly.

BTW, not a problem you have, but if you have hardened leather the Soffner product he sells is great. Use his process.

Carcareonline.com

Larry is an avid PCA'er. He supports the PCA, races, and instructs. Great guy.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:56 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Pedro, I too was using the Connoly product. It comes in a vase with a green cup on. It was pretty good I must say. although a bit of a PITA to rub and take out. I also had bought at the time the Lexol Products as recommended at the Autopia forums. I continued with Lexol and I'm really happy, plus its easier to deal with.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 908 Likes on 546 Posts

I have used many of the products mentioned, including lately Leatherique. Which treats well, but has not cleaned the dirt as I hoped. Yesterday at a detailing talk at Devek a guy who does high end cars said Simple Green 50/50 for the cleaning part. I just happen to be out of Simple Green, so I'll have to let you know later.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Thanks for the advices...I just want to keep it moist and soft...after reading a Ferrari club article...I decided to give leatherique a try...I liked the process of applying the rejuvinator oil with your hands...

Take care...
Old 08-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Stevarino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA (Brentwood) & New York, NY (Tribeca)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leather Soffener, available from the guys at carcareonline.com. I've used Lexol for many years, but it doesn't compare. Patrick's right that it is much faster to apply, but I believe that it has a water base and thus requires many more applications. Connely hide food is best for Connely hides, but I haven't had much luck with it on German cars. It's also a bit of a mess to use.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Thanks again guys...my leather is pretty clean, I just want to keep it "alive" with the appropriate moisturizer/conditioner...I'll post a feedback about Leatherique rejuvinator's oil as soon as I get it to try...

Take care...
Old 08-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just remember you put the Rejuvenator Oil on first and then after doing that process you use the Prestine Clean stuff. Logically it would seem, it least to me, that you should clean it first then rejuvenate it. Here's part of the directions:

“...Apply the Rejuvenator Oil liberally (about 4 oz. per seat) with your hands, massaging the oil well into all the surfaces and natural folds of the leather, this puts natural ingredients, not harsh cleaner, back into the leather and forces out dirt...Apply Prestine Clean by hand or with a soft Terry Cloth towel and massage out the dirt...”
Old 08-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Have a look at http://www.liquidleather.com
Old 08-07-2005, 06:29 PM
donsacto
Racer

Terry:

You might want to try a diluted Woolite instead of Simple Green for cleaning leather. I use 6 parts water to 1 part Woolite. Smells alot better than Simple Green
Old 08-07-2005, 06:43 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Originally Posted by phelix
Another vote for Liquid Leather.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Thanks Ron...I found weird to use the Prestine cleaner after the Rejuvenator oil as well...anyway my seats are as clean as they get...I also read you can apply the Rejuvenator oil, cover the seats with plastic and leave the car under the sun with the windows up in order to create a heat inside which helps the oil to penetrate the leather...

Liquidleather looks like a good product as well...

Thanks for all the feedback...
Old 08-07-2005, 11:06 PM
james993
Intermediate

Where can I get Rejuvenator Oil? Is this widely available?

Quick Reply: Leather care...best conditioner advice.