993 Forum 1995-1998

Help - CDR 220 Install Gone Bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 02:39 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 703 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Help - CDR 220 Install Gone Bad

CarreraX on the 996 forum was nice enough to help me get my old CDR 210 out, but after that it was all down hill.

We took out the old CDR 210 cage and put in the 220... it was a tight, tight fit, but we got one side to snap, but couldn't get the other. The radio was initally working, but after pressing on the left side (and giving up), the radio all of sudden didn't work any longer.... plus, my spoiler light doesn't go off at all!

Any ideas, blow fuse maybe? I hate to think that I broken the radio plus caused this spoiler light issue. I have no luck when it comes to DIYs.

Thanks - Rob

Last edited by Kigiin; 07-31-2005 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-31-2005, 03:57 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Rob....Did you remove the frame from the old CDR-210? It usually comes out with the old radio but has been known to remain attached to the slot the radio slides into. Next, using the radio removal keys, remove the radio. Check all the cables and fuses. I would unplug all of the plugs and plug them back in again. Prior to installing the radio, take as much slack out of the cables as you can by pushing the cables through the hole that they are routed through the dash. There is a rubber grommet on the upper right side that they all run into. When you re-install the radio, turn the radio on and as you slide it in reach under the dash and behind the radio and guide the cables out of the way of the radio. You can reach the left (driver's) side of the radio very easily...the left side not so well. Sometimes it takes several attempts to get the radio to slide in evenly. I can't help you with the spoiler light...I would not be surprised if you blow a fuse and they are some how connected. Perhaps the speed control for the spoiler and the radio sound speed control (the one that makes the radio louder at speed) are connected. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 703 Likes on 390 Posts

Chuck,

Thanks. It was fuse No 38 (radio) that was the problem (not sure why the spoiler light was affected), but when I replaced it all was ok.

But NOW, I can't get the damn radio seated flush on both sides. The right goes in fine, but the left is a bast*rd. Then I get the right side in and the left won't go.

Then, when I pulled it out to try again, the fuse blew again! WTF. Further when I tried to replace, while the radio was connected, the new fuse I put in blew immediately (tried three times (and three burned fuses) before dumb *** me figured out that I needed to do something different). So, I pulled/unplugged the radio and was then able to replace it without blowing. I assume some type of short, but have no idea what to do?

The radio is working fine now and fuse is ok, but I still can't get both sides to seat properly.

Nothing ever works out easily for me.

p.s. I can't see the face plate at all, even in the garage.... definitely need to get a new one from Becker that works in the 993.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:52 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know the feeling...nothing is easy. Have you tried reachjng under the dash and guilding it in and pushing the wires out of the way? If I had to guess the cables behind the radio are binding up and the radio can't go in correctly. The fuse thing is weird.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:57 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
When you re-install the radio, turn the radio on and as you slide it in reach under the dash and behind the radio and guide the cables out of the way of the radio. You can reach the left (driver's) side of the radio very easily...the left side not so well. Sometimes it takes several attempts to get the radio to slide in evenly.

Chuck is right on. These radios do not slide in!!! If remove the glove box you will have more room to work. By just forcing the radio, you are either pushing a hot lead into a ground or crushing a connector.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:12 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pegasis0066
I can't see the face plate at all, even in the garage.... definitely need to get a new one from Becker that works in the 993.
The CDR-220 was for the 996 and 986. Their radios sit lower that ours. If you look down at an angle you'll be able to see the read out. I sent the face plate to Becker for the $50.00 mod. It worked well but is too bright at night time. I can't seem to get it to dim with the rest of the dash lights.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:28 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 774 Likes on 357 Posts

Make sure you've taken out the old metal frame. Before attempting to insert the hu, inspect the hole and ensure no wires/cords are in the way or wrapped around the end frames. Unscrew fog light and side mirror heater, remove cig lighter. Open glove box and slowly wedge hu from side to side. It may not seat perfectly flush,but you should be able to get it within a few mm.

Good luck.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:58 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ALSO - You will probably need to adjust the lock-in devices on the sides of the radio. They can be moved forward and back. When I got my CDR-220, they were all the way toward the front of the radio, and it just wouldn't lock into the dash all of the way. I used a small flat bladed screwdriver to release the small tabs that allow the pieces inside the radio to slide back. I put them on place 3 for the left (toward driver) and 4 for the other side. The radio goes in nice and easy, locks down on both sides without too much pressure, and is solidly mounted, no motion.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Avenger6
ALSO - You will probably need to adjust the lock-in devices on the sides of the radio.
Avenger...Great info, I love learning new struff. I had no idea that there was an andjustment there!! Thanks

Quick Reply: Help - CDR 220 Install Gone Bad