Sponsored by:

Ruf Spolier Module help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ruf Spolier Module help please

So I called Weissach, one of the RUF distributors and inquired about a RUF spoiler module because quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of my damn spoiler going up and down in city driving. He explained that RUF has now discontinued this product due to a lack of OEM modules from Porsche that this is built on.

Question #1: Does anyone have one they want to sell?

Question #2: Has anyone ever thought about looking at the electronic components of the RUF module and comparing it to the OEM module to see the differences? I have to believe that all the changes are managed by resistor and/or chip changes that a smart person on this list could replicate. I'm far from smart but would love to give it a shot if anyone has one that they can use to work with me on this little project.

I can imagine that I'm not the only person out there who is frustrated by all this up and down crap all the time.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:31 PM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alon
So I called Weissach, one of the RUF distributors and inquired about a RUF spoiler module because quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of my damn spoiler going up and down in city driving. He explained that RUF has now discontinued this product due to a lack of OEM modules from Porsche that this is built on.

Question #1: Does anyone have one they want to sell?

Question #2: Has anyone ever thought about looking at the electronic components of the RUF module and comparing it to the OEM module to see the differences? I have to believe that all the changes are managed by resistor and/or chip changes that a smart person on this list could replicate. I'm far from smart but would love to give it a shot if anyone has one that they can use to work with me on this little project.

I can imagine that I'm not the only person out there who is frustrated by all this up and down crap all the time.

Thanks in advance.
I'm right there with you Alon. If someone could figure out how to adjust the OEM module, I'll be all over it.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:33 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

You get one of those RUF modules in my hands and I know that we can figure it out so let's find someone who will help us.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

I never did understand why anyone would run the stock module when the RUF was available. I put together a group buy last year and I was very suprised that more people did not want in. I think we only had about 15 or 16 people who were in on the deal. However, Andrew at Weissach said we could not add any more people anyway because thet were having problems getting the RUF modules, whatever that means. I remember some people had to wait much longer than others because Andrew had to wait for more units to come from Germany.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:15 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Andrew is who I spoke with at Weissach and he told me that the discontinuation of this module is due to a lack of OEM modules from Porsche. RUF modifies the OEM module rather than building their own from scratch. I suppose that most people want it but not everyone is prepared to spend the $300 USD price of the group buy.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:25 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

I suppose that most people want it but not everyone is prepared to spend the $300 USD price
You're probably right but I just thought that with all the potential problems one could have with spoiler walls, motors, gears and the like, that it was the a good idea to get rid of the stock module. And that's without even taking into consideration the fact that it's silly for that spoiler to up and down all the time at such low speeds.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:33 PM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Alon,

Here's an old thread about an attempt to modify the control unit started by Ron.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=132042

-nels
Old 07-20-2005, 05:36 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was behind a 996 (briefly) this morning and noticed his/her spoiler didn't go up 'til about maybe 65mph(?) and went down around 25-30mph. Does anyone know if the 996 spoiler module will work in a 993?
Old 07-20-2005, 05:41 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

A 996 is relay activated from the instrument cluster, no module used.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nels415
Alon,

Here's an old thread about an attempt to modify the control unit started by Ron.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=132042

-nels
Argh! There's got to be a way ! ! ! !
Old 07-20-2005, 06:04 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Search for a thread I started a couple of months ago entitled "Fooling the OEM spoiler module", and read through until you get to the even better summary by Mike of how to make this work for you without the expense of the Ruf module ...
Old 07-20-2005, 06:05 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Looking at the pic in that old thread, the discernable difference in the parts is the chip up front. Note that the Ruf part is installed in a socket. I'm betting that chip is some semi-custom controller (maybe just a PAL? I'm a software guy, Jim, not a bricklayer!) that Ruf commissioned. If they built the modules by changing existing Porsche modules, they may have a stock of the chips lying around since they probably commissioned a production run. Worth asking - if they'll sell the parts one could mod one's own module.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:12 PM
gjtrek
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all the new Ruf Modules out there, there should be some OEM non-Ruf modules sitting on shelves in RL members garages and many more in members vehicles. Maybe we could bundle up a batch and ship em to RUF for their rebuild and have them returned to us in RUF configuration. This way we save $ on the RUF cost of purchasing OEM modules from the factory to rebuild. Does anyone have a connection with RUF which might open an avenue of discussion on this point? I would be very interested in doing this. I missed out on the last group RUF module buy.

Any comments out there?

Regards, Gary
Old 07-20-2005, 06:16 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by the_buch
Search for a thread I started a couple of months ago entitled "Fooling the OEM spoiler module", and read through until you get to the even better summary by Mike of how to make this work for you without the expense of the Ruf module ...
Thanks but my personal preference is to prevent it from going up until I hit true highway speeds. The RUF modeule would do for me what I need but there are none to be found and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to "fool" it with resistors, etc or easy mods to the internals of the OEM module.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:20 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by the_buch
I am really happy now after Doug pointed out how to keep spoiler up in the thread he mentioned above. Thank you, Doug!

Also, seeing how spoiler on Porsche 996s and Boxsters kept coming up and down during DE made me real happy that I did not go for a RUF-modifed spoiler module - as far as I understand both 996 and Boxster has the same or very similar speed settings as RUF-modified module.

Quick Reply: Ruf Spolier Module help please