993 Forum 1995-1998

Ventura Autofest

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 03:48 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ventura Autofest

I was thinking of heading up for this and seeing what it's all about.

here's the link for those wondering what I'm asking about...

http://www.germanautofest.com/

Looks like a fun weekend... I think a number of 'listers have gone up there in the past juding by a quick search.

Couple of questions...

1) how much fun is it?
2) if coming from out of town, where's the best place to stay? - I hear the AMTRAK trains can be LOUD!

Maybe I can meet a few other fellow 'listers there?!?

Clive
Old 07-13-2005, 10:01 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I went to it last year and thought it was lame. Or maybe my expectations were too high. The swap meet was a bunch of junk and there were only a few vendors. The real fun was walking around and looking at all of the Porsches that people drove there. There were hundreds of Porsches parked everywhere. Also, the drive to the show from Santa Monica with other 993 Rennlisters led by Fred was a lot of fun as well.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:43 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

We went the first two years. First time we stayed at the Holiday Inn. Only to be awaken by Amtrak, which just about shook us out of bed in addition to scaring the heck out of us..

The event is fun, I feel, but I was a little bummed the car coral and swapper wasnt larger. Highlights were meeting Bruce Anderson and partaking in his -history of the 911 racing engine- seminar. Great time with that..
Old 07-13-2005, 11:57 AM
jrb964
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven over from Phoenix every year. The vendors are okay...wish there were more. Never stayed for Sunday. Alot of junk for sale...but "...one man's junk is anothermans treasure". The highlight by far is the "...orgie of Porsches..." every kind, shape, color, condition, etc. But if you come, bring your wadders as the B... S... can get a little deep. But it's well worth the drive and the price.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:59 AM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went the 1st year. Haven't been back. See post #2. Long drive (from San Diego) for what is on display. IMHO not near as good as Dunkle Bros. was.
If you like it you'd LOVE the Pomona swap meet.
Granted no high end "tuners" at Pomona but Bling is not what I'm into.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:37 PM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

A group of us drive up for the day. Usually starting where Sunset Blvd. meets the ocean at the Pacific Coast Highway. We then take the backroads up, highway 1 back home. Last year we had almost 2 dozen cars? Anyway, it is a blast. The most fun is in the drive and companionship. You can see it all in about 2 hours. As the date gets closer, we will put something together for a drive up.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:01 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Guess it's a resounding "not worth the cost of staying overnight" type of deal.

I'll keep my ears open for a group drive then....

Clive.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:10 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to say I am in the "disappointed" crowd. There were a lot of nice Porsches in attendance, but as noted, the swap area was small and not that many interesting vendors. Agree about the Dunkle Bros. one, that didn't happen yet this year did it?
Old 07-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Michael Jekot
Instructor

Dunkles is not longer or it has been replaced as a new event. I've gone every year except the first and feel if you are wanting to have a great time seeing lots of Porsches, meeting like minded folks and wading through a lot of different types of events and great vendors, GO. I drive from Minneapolis every year because we just don't get these types of events up here. Maybe you California folks have too many of these events and can afford to be selective. I will be there this year as well selling my artwork. Mike Jekot
Old 07-14-2005, 12:38 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The drive up and hanging out and stroling through the vendors and cars with other RL folks is 75% of the value of the event. I got a great deal on a "celebrating fourty fast years" mug (wish I had bought a set) so that was worth another 15% the remaining 10% is for the content of the show - lots of car eye candy (and more especially if MS shows up again).
Old 07-14-2005, 01:49 AM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fred hit the nail on the head. Most of the fun was the drive, the Rennlisters and meeting MS (and Robert of course) Also listening to Max describe every car. The tri tip at the Cold Springs Tavern was another highlight. I wish I didn't have plans already...
Old 07-14-2005, 11:25 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by seege
...The tri tip at the Cold Springs Tavern was another highlight...
Forgot about the Cold Springs Tavern part. Time to recalculate:
90% Drive and schmooz with other RL'ers and Tri-Tip post 'fest lunch at CST
7% mug deal
3% Show
Old 07-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

Anybody from Northern California planning on going? If the drive up from LA is good, the drive down (Hwy 101 or 1) should be better Haven't been to one yet, so it might be worth the trip, especially since my expectations would not be too high due to the previous posts.

Thanks.
Michael
Old 07-15-2005, 01:55 AM
Rand
Instructor

When is the show this year. Hopefully we will get a group together like last year. The drive was a blast.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Michael - I am in Monterey and am thinking of going. A group drive would be great!

Quick Reply: Ventura Autofest