Electronic Combat --the Valentine one

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 01:24 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Electronic Combat --the Valentine one

On a jet fighter the pilot has on board whats called RAW gear or their incoming missile warning system. The Valentine one is that for me. Sat nite I was going to Rosamond for a hot rod show in which PCA was participating. I was just coming through Red Rock canyon on Hwy 14, almost no traffic. One of my favorite roads around here. I was doing probably 85 or so, when I had just passed a camper and I had my buddy Elvis of Rennlist in his 993 cab with me. The north bound traffic was lower physically from my lane and hidden by a hill. when that hill gave way there was a north bound CHP with full radar on. My V1 went nuts forward but was it too late? He could have seen me only for a second and I hit the brakes hard and got to 70. THe CHP continued NB and I lost sight. in about a minute My V1 goes nuts behind me now according to the V1. I had the cruise set at 65 now. The CHP had turned around and I knew this from my V1. the rear arrow was going nuts. I knew now what I needed to know and I didnt want to upset the CHP so I had my wife take it down. In about 10 miles the CHP slowly cruised past Elvis and I. Another bogey dusted. The hill almost killed me BUT only gave the CHP a glimpse of me. He probably only got a quick look with no fix and had to come around to try to track me but I knew all that already. This radar detector is worth now, to me, about $5000, in non citations not including insurance. I have Rennlist to thank for that. I am not affiliated with Mike Valentine or the company yada yada but ONE satisfied customer.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Schnell 911
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Exscellent post reaffirms my recent decision to purchase one. I should have V1 w/ remote Monday!
PS, thanks for the reply old man....My 47th will be Oct. L.M.A.O.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:57 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really need to figure out a stealthy install for my V1
Old 05-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

"I really need to figure out a stealthy install for my V1"

- I think the ash tray is a good stealthy place for the remote.

The best part is that the mute is within your fingers reach from the shifter, you can close the tray and hide the remote, and it takes seconds to install and requires no modifications or holes to drill.

I think others have posted on this and even more stealthy sites.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Schnell 911
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Any DIY posted to reference stealthy. I would like to install mine Monday evening!
Old 05-15-2005, 02:21 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Blaine S
... I think the ash tray is a good stealthy place for the remote.

The best part is that the mute is within your fingers reach from the shifter, you can close the tray and hide the remote, and it takes seconds to install and requires no modifications or holes to drill....
I agree...my remote display is currently already in my ashtray...I also have a spare tach with the OBC computer display that I might hack up and use as an alternate display location. What I really need is a way to mount the main unit so that it is completely out of sight.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 553 Posts

I am holding out for a AN/ALR-69 Radar Warning Receiver (RWR) when they get on eBay.

This is what is going into the F-16. You not only get full 360 degree coverage on a nifty 3ATI display, but the display identifies the type of radar (including SAMs) and its proximal threat intensity.

Add the AN/ALQ-119 Radar Jamming Pod and you are good to go. Or, maybe just add some hard points for a HARM or two.

Marv
Old 05-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

OT sort of:

Anyone used this hidden display with their V1? It is for BMWs only. http://www.jaricdesign.com/ http://www.jaricdesign.com/display_modes.htm
Old 05-15-2005, 02:57 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

I asked this question and got different answers. Are radar detectors legal in CA? V1's site said yes. some people say no. OG just suggested no. Is there a definitive answer out there?

After my ticket on 152 the day of the Rumble, I bought a V1 (should have done so long ago). Of course, now my fastest car is my wife's Odyssey, but it's still good to know.

Thanks for the education.

CP
Old 05-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Legal ....

as far as I know few states have laws banning radar detectors (VA is one). In VA they use electronic sniffers to detect RF emissions from poorly shielded detectors. This would be a good question to pose to the National Motorist Association, a pro-driver group.

Living in Cali nearly all my life, I have never heard that radar detectors are illegal.

If you want to take it up a notch, get a scanner. A scanner, a V1 and common sense, and you'll be "golden."

I have drive that section of highway many times...it is on the way to and from Willow Springs Raceway. No tickets yet but one close call.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:18 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

They ARE legal. I didnt want the guy coming aross and seeing it knowing I beat him. I just wanted him to think maybe he misdiagnosed the issue. Had he seen it he could have become upset and pulled me over for something else. I didnt want to provoke him into anything, so I hid it. I didnt have to, but I did not want to go there.
Marv I have a ALR 167 bullwinkle at work.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:18 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
OT sort of: Anyone used this hidden display with their V1? It is for BMWs only. http://www.jaricdesign.com/
I had previously contacted them to see if they had plans to port it for Audis or any other cars and they said no...bummer as it's a really slick mod.

Originally Posted by Martin S.
...If you want to take it up a notch, get a scanner. A scanner, a V1 and common sense, and you'll be "golden."...
To further clarify, if you are going to get a scanner you might as well get one that can detect CHP trunk repeaters...I have a Bearcat BCT-8 sitting in the garage that needs to be installed once I find a good spot.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:25 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

What do scanners do? I imagine you'd be able to hear CHP conversations?

I have been nabbed twice by CHP planes. I guess neither the V1 or scanner can help me there. Sigh....

CP
Old 05-15-2005, 03:44 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CP
What do scanners do? I imagine you'd be able to hear CHP conversations? .....
Yes but more importantly some models can detect the presence of trunk repeaters within a 2 mile distance. (FYI all CHP patrol cars have trunk repeaters and they are always on, even when their laser and radar detectors are off).
Old 05-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Marv I have a ALR 167 bullwinkle at work.
Shhhh. That one supposed to be secret.

Marv

Quick Reply: Electronic Combat --the Valentine one