Dented oil tube in engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 12:25 AM
lenticular
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dented oil tube in engine

Due to a, uh, mishap jacking my car I have a dented oil tube under the engine. I estimate the the flow through it might be constricted by perhaps 1/3. No oil leak, oil pressure and temp are as normal.

I've looked at the PET pictures, but can't get a good idea of the circulation of oil through the engine. Since the flow has to be less than before, am I looking at reduced flow to cylinder, a pair of cylinders, or the entire engine.

How do you go about replacing the tube?

Thanks,
John
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2005, 12:38 AM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

drop your headers, buy six news tubes...these are collapsible. It is not a difficult job. I saw my mech. do it. I guess you can replace just one, but since you are there..
Old 05-11-2005, 04:21 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

The tubes return the oil from the heads back to the crankcase. They are not at pressure. They can leak at the ends and the procedure to remove is to collapse the tube with a pair of pliers and pull it out. The replacement will have a sliding collar so they can be "expanded" into position. You can replace one at a time. I am not sure if you have to remove the heat exchangers to change them out.

It any of the other ones are not leaking I would not replace them...they are not a wear item so if they don't leak don't touch them

If the tube is not too crushed then you can run fine with it. The danger is that the tube, being constricted, cannot handle the oil coming from the heads. My gut is telling me that its not a problem but since they are easy to change you should at least change the crushed one out.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lenticular
Due to a, uh, mishap jacking my car I have a dented oil tube under the engine. I estimate the the flow through it might be constricted by perhaps 1/3. No oil leak, oil pressure and temp are as normal.

I've looked at the PET pictures, but can't get a good idea of the circulation of oil through the engine. Since the flow has to be less than before, am I looking at reduced flow to cylinder, a pair of cylinders, or the entire engine.

How do you go about replacing the tube?

Thanks,
John
Replace it John!

I did that job myself. Not difficult at all. You just have to be patient.
Here is the thread about it: oil return tube replacement
Old 05-11-2005, 11:26 AM
lenticular
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whew, you guys make me feel better!

Thanks so much for the excellent, reassuring advice!

In the back of my mind, I always worry that I'll do something during a DIY that will reall f@#$ up the car in an irreversible, expensive way. My lesson from this episode: A board under a hydraulic floor jack certainly extends height, but if not properly set up, stability may suffer. Talk about a Homer Simpson moment!

Thanks again. Rennlist is the best.

-John

Quick Reply: Dented oil tube in engine