Sponsored by:

help: loud whine coming from rear when turning corners

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 03:15 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kdurg
Right, and Matthew drives a '96 NA Carrera, and I would assume has the same manual as I.

Interesting how the manual recommendations would change from year to year.
Agreed. I point out the difference for the sake of archive-searchers, as this topic seems to come up every few months.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:33 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your garage floor between the front wheels for drips of leaking PS fluid, if so, your steering rack is toast.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:10 PM
donsacto
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My power steering was leaking at the reservoir. Check for signs of leaking below the reservoir and on the right muffler. My mechanic tightened the clamps; no leaks since.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:31 PM
mborkow
Drifting

you guys appear to be right. my power steering reservoir is dry as a bone (there is nothing in there at all). i will get some pentosin and top it off today and see if the reservoir remains full or if it all drains out. there were some wet spots on my garage floor, but i park in a public garage so there is no way to know if it is from my car. i have placed a couple of pieces of paper down and will see if there is any leakage on top of those tomorrow. thanks for all the help. i really appreciate it and i will post a follow-up to let everyone know what the end results was. again, thanks,
matthew
Old 03-19-2005, 05:45 PM
mborkow
Drifting

sorry to ask another question but: i called pepboys and kragens and neither one of them sells Pentosin CHF-11S. anyone know where i can pick some up (today) in san francisco? TIA, matthew
Old 03-19-2005, 05:46 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Since low fluid is the case, may want to have a look at your steering rack for leaks..
Old 03-19-2005, 05:49 PM
mborkow
Drifting

"Since low fluid is the case, may want to have a look at your steering rack for leaks.."
if this were a computer i'd have taken the whole thing apart by now...but i know nothing about cars; i wouldn't have any idea where to start looking really (or what to really look for).
Old 03-19-2005, 05:50 PM
donsacto
Racer

Mborkow:

I haven't seen CHF-11S at any local auto parts store. P-car dealership most likely has it.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:06 PM
mborkow
Drifting

just spoke with a mechanic at a local shop (about 14 miles away) and he might have some (he is going to call me back in a few minutes). he said, btw, not to drive the car like this because it will damage the pump.

i also noticed the sounds when i made left hand turns...

edit:
the shop (topline in burlingame, should anyone else need some) does have some in stock and is wiling to sell me a liter ($20-$30, he wasn't sure of the price and i didn't press him since i am going to buy it no matter how much it costs...).
Old 03-19-2005, 07:46 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

When you look for leaks, look underneath up front about where the firewall is. If you see some clear fluid drops, then your steering rack is leaking, and you'll need to get it replaced. About $1000 including labor. It's a common problem, and it happened to me at 35k miles.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:52 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by mborkow
sorry to ask another question but: i called pepboys and kragens and neither one of them sells Pentosin CHF-11S. anyone know where i can pick some up (today) in san francisco? TIA, matthew
This may or may not help but I got mine at the BMW dealer around the corner. It appears to be a standard item there.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:09 PM
mborkow
Drifting

just picked up 2 liters and the funnel (good call on the funnel!). reservoir took about 400 ml before it hit the top (overfilled it a touch, but mopped up most of it). i guess i will just let the car sit there for a bit and see if the level in the reservoir holds...if not then i guess there is a pretty big leak. in the meantime, since i have an extra 1.6 liters of the stuff, if anyone in the bay area needs some steering fluid and you are in a jam let me know (though since i don't have a car at the moment you will have to come get it from me...)!
Old 03-19-2005, 09:39 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just picked up 2 liters and the funnel (good call on the funnel!). reservoir took about 400 ml before it hit the top (overfilled it a touch, but mopped up most of it). i guess i will just let the car sit there for a bit and see if the level in the reservoir holds...if not then i guess there is a pretty big leak. in the meantime, since i have an extra 1.6 liters of the stuff, if anyone in the bay area needs some steering fluid and you are in a jam let me know (though since i don't have a car at the moment you will have to come get it from me...)!

I'd hold onto the fluid for now. Sounds like you might have a leak somewhere and the likelyhood of you having to use more of your fluid is great. BTW, Audi dealers should have Pentosin, too.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:18 PM
mborkow
Drifting

waited 1/2 an hour then took the car for a spin around the parking lot. no strange noise...of course, it could still all leak out by the morning...oh well...i hate not being able to drive my car!
Old 03-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

waited 1/2 an hour then took the car for a spin around the parking lot. no strange noise...of course, it could still all leak out by the morning...oh well...i hate not being able to drive my car!
why can't you drive the car? Sounds like it needed some fluid.

Quick Reply: help: loud whine coming from rear when turning corners