Sponsored by:

Targa Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 01:11 PM
rd993
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Targa Leak

Hi guys. I've owned my targa for a few months now but unfortunately when it rains there is a water leak from the passenger side (left hand side as I am based in the UK). I did a search and it appears there are 2 technical service bulletins dealing with 993 targa roof leaks. Where can I get hold of these bulletins as a rain leak is not easy to live with in british weather.....

Many thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:15 PM
RMEllis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Reg,
If you will PM me with your email address I will send you all of the bulletins.
Robert
Old 02-23-2005, 01:06 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi Reg,

Can you tell where exactly is the leak? While there are adjustments to be made on the roof there are also a few seals that are not adjustable (such as the main rubber seal that connects the roof to the top of the windshield frame. I know because I had some leaks there. Luckily (or unluckily) Porsche fixed it all on their tab because I picked up some corrosion on the windshield frame. They had to take the entire roof off the car to fix it. (Search for my previous post on this). Anyways both the front vent and the large roof have seals that should flow any water that leaks into the two side drains that take the water to the rear and eventually to the rear wheel wheels. If you are getting leaks either these seals are not doing their job or there is another problem.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-23-2005, 01:18 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, now I've seen it all... Targa and Leak used together in the same sentence.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:19 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

I'm allowed that bit of smart-assed-ness because I lived (loved) with a Targa for six years. Never got the leaks totally sorted out.

Best of luck to you.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:33 PM
rd993
7th Gear

Hi Mike. The water comes in from the windscreen pillar and to tell you the truth this only happens when I have left the car in rain all day and I start driving it or when I'm getting my car washed. It doesn't happen on the driver's side though. I thought it had something to do with the door seals and had these replaced as the old ones were in a pretty bad state but it didn't help...

I have had a look at the bulletin and am sure that my problem is in "Area #2" so will take the wind deflector off this weekend and investigate the water channel. I will also check if the seal is delivering water into the water channel.

Reg
Old 02-23-2005, 04:40 PM
rd993
7th Gear

Hey Leland. I suspect you're right about the leaks - though I have to say I love the targa roof and think I would really miss it if I went back to a normal hardtop. I used to have an Audi TT which I had to sell because (amongst other things like the 4-pot engine, vague handling etc....) the interior was so dark and depressing.....
Old 02-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Leland Pate
I'm allowed that bit of smart-assed-ness because I lived (loved) with a Targa for six years. Never got the leaks totally sorted out.

Best of luck to you.
Mine doesn't leak. I drove mine all last week in the rain and not a drop of water. Funny how these things are different in every car.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:24 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Well, in all fairness, my targa was a '79. The oldstyle (folding tops) are notorious for leaking, creaking and wind noise. There was an old joke about those Targas. "The only way to stop targa leaks is to build a garage."

Hope you get it figured out.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:36 PM
mborkow
Drifting

"wind noise"
it was more tornado than wind
Old 02-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Reg,

I was getting some water down the driver's piller (and a small drip just where the roof joins the windshield frame and some but less water on the passenger side. Would get a few drips on my left thigh as I sat in the car. Turned out the rubber seal was leaking and I had to replace the seal across the top of the windshield frame (again Porsche paid for it as part of the corrosion warranty). Hope its just an adjustment.

Keep us posted!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-23-2005, 11:23 PM
jkuniverse
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I consider myself lucky...no leak with my Targa.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hi Reg,

I was getting some water down the driver's piller (and a small drip just where the roof joins the windshield frame and some but less water on the passenger side. Would get a few drips on my left thigh as I sat in the car. Turned out the rubber seal was leaking and I had to replace the seal across the top of the windshield frame (again Porsche paid for it as part of the corrosion warranty). Hope its just an adjustment.

Keep us posted!

Cheers,

Mike
Porsche paid for the replacement of the seal? Huh?

My seal does not leak, but it is dimpled in the center. That may create some wind noise. Should I ask my dealer?

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:36 PM
skegler
Track Day

Default 1996 Targa - Mine leaks!

My roof leaks. I just found out. I've had the car about one month, and left it outside overnight in a rainstorm. The next morning there was about three inches of rain the the right rear footwell (behind the passenger seat). No visible water running down the sides. The water came in through the right rear of the car, under the carpets. Scary. I need to figure out how to fix this one.

I have the bulletins - thanks to Adrienne.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:22 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, lots have has happened since this thread was started and there is lots of expertise on these roofs on the list. I would venture that I have the most experience with the "undersides" of these roofs since I have taken the roof off as a DIY. Anyways there are three separate drain systems on the top as well as a complicated series of seals and channels to get all the water out.

When you say the right rear under the carpets, do you think the water came down the b-pillar or towards the back?

The seal between the body and the top usually does not leak unless its been molested in some way. Assuming that this seal is OK it could be coming from:

1 - A misaligned sliding top. If this top does not raise to the same height on both sides of the car when closed (the cams push the rear of the roof up to seal it) the water running down the seal at the back of the sliding portion (the seal the goes agains the fixed back window) may miss the side drain channels and drip down the inside of the car near the front of the side glass. I doubt it this is the problem since you say no visible water running down the side.

2 - The water could be coming from the drains at the ends of the large drain channels that run down the inside of the roof on both sides. There are two ways the water can drain. The first is through a rigid plastic pipe that runs from the drain along the inside of the car and then through the side of the body into the rear wheelwells. The other drain runs through the back and drains through the frame of the rear fixed glass. I would remove the rear shelf (the shelf with the speakers) and check for water. The shelf comes out easily because it held in with about six screws and a couple of plugs for the speakers. If the rear seals or drains are leaking you will see water pooling on the rear shelf. This water can eventually run down the backs of the rear seats (under the carpet and padding), pool in the seat bottoms and then wickup over the front edge of the rear seats and down onto the floor. Then water appears in the rear footwells but it originates from the rear shelf. After taking off the shelf peel back a bit of the carpet/foam hang the rear seats...its it wet to the touch. Be careful since sometimes its not obvious its wet...the water moves around inside the foam.

3 - There are drains that come from the front corners of the roof and use the door weatherstripping as a drain channel. I doubt these are leaking but I hope when you replaced the door seals they were connected properly.

Sit in the car with a flashlight in the rain and observe carefully to see where the rain is coming in. It could be a small adjustment or a major problem...don't sweat it yet since you don't know. Try to locate the source of the water...remember even water can run uphill in the right conditions so keep looking around.

Once you have an idea post again and I am sure you will get some more help!

Best of luck,

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Targa Leak