CDR220 before/after faceplate upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Hi Marc,

I just replaced my tape deck with a CDR-220 as well, however I can't seem to get it completely flush with the dash no matter how hard I push. I also don't hear the expected click of the side tabs. Your pic seems to show your radio completely flush. How did you manage to do that? I reached under the dash and moved all the cables out of the way, but I only have the accessibility of the left side. Perhaps the cable on the right side is getting blocked somehow?

For those thinking of doing the swap, the CDR-220 sounds noticably better vs. the CD-210. As said here, the upgraded faceplate is a must. The CDR-220 was made for the 996 which was mounted lower than in our 993s.
Arrwin,

I had the same exact problem. I could get one side flush but not the other. I went to the limit on pushy, but still couldn't get it flush. I took it to my mechanic and got it in place. All he did was reach underneath and ensure the cables are out of the way. He also said if extra pesky, you could remove the glove box and work the cables out of the way from that side.

Rob
Old 11-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pegasis0066
Arrwin,

I had the same exact problem. I could get one side flush but not the other. I went to the limit on pushy, but still couldn't get it flush. I took it to my mechanic and got it in place. All he did was reach underneath and ensure the cables are out of the way. He also said if extra pesky, you could remove the glove box and work the cables out of the way from that side.

Rob
Thanks Rob. So I guess the only thing obstructing it are the cables. I was thinking of adjusting the side tabs. I believe "Avenger6" suggested that on another thread I read.

I will try and try again....thanks!
Old 11-02-2005, 08:37 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Rob. So I guess the only thing obstructing it are the cables. I was thinking of adjusting the side tabs. I believe "Avenger6" suggested that on another thread I read.

I will try and try again....thanks!
Me too!! I tried like hell and couldn't get the CDR-220 flush... maybe now I'll try again.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Here's the thread about adjusting the tabs....

Thread started by Pegasis0066
Old 11-03-2005, 12:34 PM
sptschoice
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you update the faceplace on the 95 radio or you got to change the whole unit...
Old 11-03-2005, 01:10 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sptschoice
can you update the faceplace on the 95 radio or you got to change the whole unit...
Which unit do you have?
Old 11-03-2005, 01:13 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

good thread guys... thanks for the faceplate contact info.... mine was a boxster unit, but just as invisible in daylight

i am also a big fan of the sleek subdued looks of the 220 as well as the fact that it has simple *****- it doesn't look out of place in cars of almost any vintage

now i'm going to check out that flush mount/tabs thread
Old 11-03-2005, 01:24 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Default Sticky *****??

Is the CDR-220 supposed to have really stick *****? I got mine off of ebay and the ***** are very sticky. I tried cleaning it with water, "Goo-Gone" to no avail. I know it's supposed to be somewhat on the sticky side for grip, but I think it's too icky sticky. Anyone have experience changing them? Hard/easy? I know Becker sells replacement *****.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:37 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

mine are like that too but i don't seem to be bothered about it i guess.... you're right though, unusually sticky... we'll see if it's the same when it's cold out
Old 11-03-2005, 03:32 PM
sptschoice
Pro

arrwin...i have the stock radio that came with cassett also have the aux jacks for cd changer
Old 11-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 217 Posts

Is the CDR-220 supposed to have really stick *****?
No they aren't. This is a design flaw. If you call Becker Parts Department or FAX them they will send you a new set. I bought four ***** for under $10.00 delivered for two radios. I have had nothing but great dealings with Becker. The new ***** make a big difference.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
No they aren't. This is a design flaw. If you call Becker Parts Department or FAX them they will send you a new set. I bought four ***** for under $10.00 delivered for two radios. I have had nothing but great dealings with Becker. The new ***** make a big difference.
Great. I just got off the phone with Becker and I will be going some time next week as their office is not too far away from my work in NJ. I will be swapping for an upgraded face plate, IPOD aux cable, and now new *****.

How do you replace the ***** Chuck? Pull really hard?

Also...I would like to publicly thank Chuck W. as he was the one who helped me find the CDR-220 I have now. He also offered to walk me through the install on the phone as well as offered to lend me his radio keys. Definitely a gracious gentlemen and another fine example of true Rennlistership. If you ever come down to NYC let me know bud. I owe you some drinks.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 217 Posts

How do you replace the ***** Chuck? Pull really hard?[/b]
They pull off very easy...and thanks for the kind words! If I ever travel to NYC I'll take that beer too!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:14 AM
polver
Instructor

I just installed a CDR-210 in my 1995. There is no display illumination. Is this normal or is my unit defective?
Old 11-04-2005, 06:13 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the original faceplate off the Traffic Pro available - I upgraded to a Porsche faceplate. It may also be compatible with the 220 face.

Quick Reply: CDR220 before/after faceplate upgrade