Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 in hot climate - any known problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 08:32 AM
jayell
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 in hot climate - any known problems ?

I'm thinking about buying a 993, and would be interested in knowing if there are any problems associated with air-cooling and air-con in hot climates. Liviing in Dubai, the temperature can reach over 50 degrees C in the summer (say 130 degrees F) and frankly when it's like that, all you care about is that the aircon works and that the engine doesn't explode !

Any got any experience of using a 993 in stupid temperatures like these ? Any feedback appreciated. All normal aspects of owning a 993, you know, actually driving the thing, I can find out for myself !!
Old 01-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

jayell

Welcome to Rennlist. You will face no issues whatsoever with our hot weather. If you plan to track the car, then it becomes a different story. The a/c is not the best there is but enough to get you going. If the car has been parked under the sun for a while in summer, it might take you a good 5-10 minutes to get the a/c to good temps. Humidity in Dubai will make your front windscreen fog somewhat, there are some threads on Rennlist that give you partial solutions.
Good luck.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Many believe that the engine tray should also be removed, to keep the engine cooler and reduce wear.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:05 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You should also do the high speed oil cooling fan override switch mod found on pcar.com
Old 01-23-2005, 09:57 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

An auxillary oil cooler is helpful keeping engine oil temps down in high heat.
130 degrees? Man I thought it was hot here but not 130. Wow that sounds really really hot.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:31 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

CJ,Dubai is very similar to Death Valley in the US, only very humid. You literally cannot walk in summer more than 50 ft. without being soaked.. First time I came off a plane, in a second my shades became so foggy that I couldn't see, and started dripping water!
Old 01-24-2005, 03:13 AM
jayell
3rd Gear

Jean, thanks very much for your reply. I would like to track the car at some point, but it's not a real issue. To be honest, and I hate saying this, the concern I had with the weather is more to do with being stuck in endless Dubai traffic rather than extended high speed running, although I wish this was not the case !!

PS you own my favourite car of all time, the 993 TT. Very envious.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:46 AM
Gelatomonster
Instructor

I agree. I myself is still thinking whether I should get 993. Traffic jam in combination with heat and humidity is very bad in Indonesia.

Nonetheless is still choose 993 10x over 996 so I think i will soon go ahead with 993. Hell, even if I could only drive it on weekend.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:31 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sydney's western suburbs see temps into the mid 40's C and this is my second summer with my 993. The fact that it is a dark colour does not help.

I did the engine tray removal & oil cooler fan override switch, the engine and tip tranny feel strong in the heat, even in bumper to bumper Parramatta Road. But by far the best things I did were dark tint on the glass to keep much of the sun off the black seats and a reflective sunshade for the front screen.

If you can leave the windows down an inch when the heat is on it helps reduce heat build up.

Even after a regas, the A/C in the porsche is nothing like my Honda's but it does the job.

You may consider changing the oil a bit more frequently.

Good luck...
Old 01-24-2005, 09:05 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jayell

It has a very acceptable clutch pedal pressure, it is not bad at all. Dubai is not like Europe, you do have traffic but it is much better than other countries. I will be in the House Of Cars workshop on the 29th. in Dubai, feel free to drop by if you are looking for a 993, they can give you some leads and tips. Ask for Alex.
Best.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:28 AM
jayell
3rd Gear

Jean, again thanks for a very useful post. I'm reluctant to start looking at 993s until I can sensibly afford one, so will probably wait another few months !! House of Cars would probably be my first choice of places to visit, however - do they have a webpage running ?

Good to hear that there are no real issues with hot weather. I could imagine that an air-cooled engine would struggle standing still with dissipating enough heat, however I guess I should trust that Porsche know a little more than I do !
Old 01-24-2005, 10:29 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Jayell, I live in the Mojave, and we see temps in the 115-120 degree range in the summer. TYpically I just
leave my car in the garage but Ihave taken it out in those temps to watch the temp gauge. As Jean says driving in normal traffic was no problem. I wouldnt track the car then. I only noticed a slight rise in temp on the guage. the AC was adequate, not great but acceptable.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

I experienced no problems driving my 993 through all sorts of conditions, including deserts, in Israel and Jordan, though it pains me to admit that the A/C is woefully lacking compared to most Japanese vehicles.

Quick Reply: 993 in hot climate - any known problems ?