Sponsored by:

Big Blue Drying Towel (BBDT)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 04:09 PM
vicrossi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Lol, I have no idea how, but they ALWAYS manage to pick up wood slivers. Plus lots of other junk. Anyway, the point is this: there's GOOD microfiber and there's NOT AS GOOD microfiber. The waffle weave doesn't pick up junk, and even when it does, it comes clean in the wash unlike the Costco stuff. I wish I hadn't bought the Costco stuff, so I could justify buying a bunch of the waffle weaves from Target (p.s. the Target towels passed the "CD test" with flying colors).
+1 on the costco microfiber towels picking up random debris, I only use them on door jambs and to dry my DD 1999 4runner with 200k mi. Phil at Detailer's Domain has great deals on high quality waffle weave towels.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Gas powered 2 stroke leaf blower. Very quick and no touchy the paint. One small microfiber towel for what's left.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, talk about digging up old threads (4 yrs old.)

Anyway, thought I'd give people heads up on a sale going on right now of microfiber from the BEST place: The laid-back Hawaiians here: http://pakshak.com/

Best stuff, imho. Learned about them from the detailer here who does very high end cars. (He also does Nicholas Cage's cars.)
Old 06-03-2009, 05:46 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use the Absorber that you can get at Autozone. The trick I learned from Autotopia is that you must NOT WIPE. Instead, just lay the towel on the car just pat dry.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:34 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Canyon56
Wow, talk about digging up old threads (4 yrs old.)

Anyway, thought I'd give people heads up on a sale going on right now of microfiber from the BEST place: The laid-back Hawaiians here: http://pakshak.com/

Best stuff, imho. Learned about them from the detailer here who does very high end cars. (He also does Nicholas Cage's cars.)
Which of the many towel types and sizes shown there are you using? Looks like a great deal.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:37 PM
mcpiaseczny
Racer

Originally Posted by 24FPS
funny. i use the yellow 'costco' ones for waxing etc (i change freq. though)... don't have any probs w/ lint, etc... though you must wash them only w/ each other & not w/ cotton or any other material or they will pick everything up.... btw: works great as a duster for the dash & interior too. oh... i never use 'softener' as it get all over the car finish leaving a cloudy finish.
Ditto - I throw them in the wash (warm/cold) after every use and they come out like new.

A word of caution though: the "Made in Whatever" tags that come attached to each towel are harsh. I usually rip them off whenever I grab a new towel but I somehow missed one and I managed to put a nasty scratch in my clear bra thanks to that thing.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:42 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no matter what mf towel you use you have to keep them islolated from bad, scratchy things.

I keep all of my car stuff in a separate cabinet. When a towel is dirty, it goes in it's own laundry bucket inside that cabinet. They are washed all by themselves and with very little soap.
If it gets dropped or otherwise abused, it goes to the random rag storage.

With a black car, you gotta be careful!

Oh, in addition to the tags, be sure you don't get towels that have edges bound with stiff thread (like fishing line). They will scratch too...
Old 06-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MarkD
no matter what mf towel you use you have to keep them islolated from bad, scratchy things.

I keep all of my car stuff in a separate cabinet. When a towel is dirty, it goes in it's own laundry bucket inside that cabinet. They are washed all by themselves and with very little soap.
If it gets dropped or otherwise abused, it goes to the random rag storage.

With a black car, you gotta be careful!

Oh, in addition to the tags, be sure you don't get towels that have edges bound with stiff thread (like fishing line). They will scratch too...
+1. I keep them in rectangular tupperware containers marked 'clean' and 'dirty.' Also a few clean ones in ziplocks in the car (for windows, etc..)

Skywachr: I like the ultra-edgeless and the waffle weaves.

ps, always wash them before using to get rid of any mfg's lint, etc.. As Mark says a little bit of neutral soap and all by themselves......
PakShak has some good hints on their website.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:27 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

I have been using the California Water Blade for some time now followed by the waffle drying towel from Target. No scratches. But I use it carefully.
Obviously, its possible to damage surface if not used as intended.
Phil
Old 06-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the leaf blower, 100% cotton towels and half dozen different micro-fiber towels.
My car cars sprouts swirls marks just by turning on the garage lights.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:18 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Follow up: I went with Detailer's Domain Uber Jumbo towel, qty. 2 @ $13 each less a 10% "rennlist" discount code. They got my business out of convenience: I also needed a liter of P21S gel wheel cleaner and a $10 Grit Guard wash bucket insert: http://www.gritguard.com/ They had it all in stock with no friggin' 9.25% CA sales tax!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:33 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dudley
I have the leaf blower, 100% cotton towels and half dozen different micro-fiber towels.
My car cars sprouts swirls marks just by turning on the garage lights.
+1
Old 06-04-2009, 10:45 AM
V
Rennlist Member

FYI Darin aka FisterD also sells MF cloths by the dozen!

I recently bought two Cobra Shamrock 750 Microfiber Towels, 16 x 24 inches. Don't know if they are good or not, remains to be seen
Old 06-04-2009, 01:05 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, MarkD is always searching for good towels for his black tt. We came across some MF towels that we liked, but we had to buy a bunch of them to get descent pricing, way more then we can use! They are large 16"x24", extra thick and soft with bound edges. These are the best MF towels we have found. We are swimming in these things, so PM me if you need some!
Old 06-04-2009, 03:04 PM
V
Rennlist Member

I'll get some together with the rest of my stuff..

Quick Reply: Big Blue Drying Towel (BBDT)